Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holden gains global role:

Holden gains global role:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Holden has global role
    Jaedene Hudson
    21jan05

Holden is set to become a true world car company under plans revealed by General Motors boss Bob Lutz in Detroit last week.

All next-generation GM products will be built in both left and right-hand-drive and as part of GM's globalisation plans, Holden will become the home of rear-wheel-drive development for the entire group.
    While Holden already imports rebadged European cars, such as the Astra and the Vectra, the new plans see much stronger ties with GM headquarters in America.

"It is an incredible door of opportunity," says Holden spokesman Jason Laird.

"It makes us as clever as possible to deliver the best products as possible."

Lutz made the announcement at a dinner in Detroit for the North American International Automobile Show and says it will take effect in as little as two or three years for some models.

"All future GM products will be ambidextrous," Lutz says.

"This will be in all the segments – passenger, SUV and medium.

"It will follow the product cycle for the cars and will start in two to three years."

The globalisation move will further cement GM's world number one standing and will bring an abundance of new entries into the market.

It will make GM more flexible, efficient and productive. The move means Australia will have access to all GM brand names including Pontiac, Buick and Chevrolet.

Says Laird: "In an ideal world that is exactly what it means.

"The customers will see greater choice.

"There is no question that applies to low-volume vehicles such as the Corvette and the Hummer (H3) – icon cars which we would be able to offer.

Lutz says: "There is a clear intention to go ahead with a right-hand-drive version of the H3."

But whether they will be badged as their US brand names has not yet been decided, because bringing a new brand into the market is a costly step, and as was shown with Daewoo, doesn't always work.

However, it is expected Cadillac will retain its badge. Laird says the strength of the brand will be enough to support it in Australia.

Holden chairman and managing director Denny Mooney says the Cadillac could be here within the next two years.

"It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when," he says. "The Cadillac business case is now on the road."

Lutz also announced Holden will become the home of rear-wheel-drive development for General Motors.

The common platform for rear-drive GM cars is known as the Zeta architecture.

"Australia will be home to the Zeta architecture," Lutz says.

Holden's all-new VE Commodore, due for release next year, will feature the Zeta chassis.

With that work already under way it was a key reason why it was decided to base rear-wheel development in Australia. Lutz says the engineering development program would encompass a wide variety of models for different GM badges.

"Different sizes and different motors – and they will all be built in their own regions as core products," Lutz says.

Holden's engineering team – led on the Zeta project by Canadian Gene Stefanyshan who will arrive in Australia next month – will develop the overall architecture which will then be tailored to suit individual markets.

"'This is a very major step forward in the way GM thinks about the way it produces cars," Laird says.

"Australia is already recognised with GM as the best place to house what is now a global architecture," he says.

While it is a "major undertaking" Laird says with recent expansion Holden's Fishermens Bend production plant will easily be able to cope with the extra load.

While Holden has not revealed a figure, the Zeta deal is believed to be worth multi-millions.

All set for the SUV Cadillac Aussie debut
    The worldwide resurgence of Cadillac cool has smoothed the way for the luxury North American brand to return to Australia by the end of the decade.

It is no longer a case of "if" but a matter of "when", Holden boss Denny Mooney said in Detroit last week.

"I'm not saying it's a drop kick, it's going to take some work in our market. [But] the Cadillac business case is now on the road," Mooney says.

Helping the case for the luxury General Motors' brand is widespread success and acceptance of the newest breed of Cadillacs across North America and Europe. The Australian-North American Free Trade Agreement is a bonus.

These 21st century Cadillacs, such as the ST-S sedan and XLR roadster, are long removed from traditional, soft-riding land yachts of the past.

"The brand is now geared towards a younger, more enthusiastic driver," Mooney says.

He has one or two Cadillacs on his wish list for stand-alone Australian dealerships, led by the likes of the ST-S sedan and the SR-X, a full-sized Sports Utility Vehicle wagon selling against the Mercedes M-Class and BMW X5.

The Cadillac SR-X is sold in North America with the choice of 3.6-litre V6 or 240kW, 4.6-litre V8, optional third-row seats and a leather-bound cabin.

Mooney is keen for Holden – with only the Cruze, Adventra and Cross8 ute offering all-wheel drive – to cash in on Australia's love affair with SUVs. He needs to fill out that range with a small, medium and large SUV.

The SR-X could become the top of the range, complemented by the Korean-made S3-X as a mid-sized SUV. If the Cadillac did not make Australia, the next Holden Adventra may become a bigger SUV, along the lines of the SR-X.

Mooney remains amazed by the success of Mercedes-Benz and BMW in the Australian market and does not think Cadillac would need all that much volume to justify the business end of the case.

Rather the luxury brand would be a high margin product, good for the core business by lifting Holden and GM's image.

Among current Cadillacs, only the CTS sedan is built as a right-hand drive model.

The line-up includes the CTS and ST-S sedans, XLR roadster, the DeVille, the Escalade SUV wagon and Escalade dual cab ute, plus the SR-X.
    I am the Stig

Personally i think theres going to be alot of flaws in this. Its nice to know that Holdens past achievements have scored them a global role, but i think that now with global pressure to make a product they wont continue to make them at the level they have been now. We've been honoured for making good cars for Australians, not Americans or Europeans etc.

Bringing Cadillac back onto the market sounds like a good idea on paper, but i dont think theyre image is right. Most people would relate them with the bright pink convertible tanks from the 60's that only the rich could afford. Nowadays theyve got the bling factor with the Escalade, which isnt exactly a good thing. Its obvious Mooney wants Holden to get back the #1 spot from Toyota and he's targeting SUV's from that, but i think he's going about it the wrong way. People arent buying Toyota SUV's cause Holden dont offer any and theyre not going to start to if Holden simply start offering some of the US SUV's like the trailblazers. Most people who buy Toyota's do so for the reliability and in the case of their SUV's, their capabilities. Neither of which the GM SUV's are reknowned for now are they....
    I am the Stig

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

It will make GM more flexible, efficient and productive. The move means Australia will have access to all GM brand names including Pontiac, Buick and Chevrolet.
    Now we're gunna get badge engineered American shitboxes coming here. I think most Australians want a SUV thats gunnas be capable off road. Escalades are bullshit off roading.

And is this American influence going to come over to New Zealand aswell?

Not to mention that this is gunna seriously affect Commodores IMO. If they are gunna be built for other countries, they're gunna be built to suit other countries aswell as Aussie and NZ, which will probably make problems with things like fuel octane and stuff. And they will probably soften up the suspension to suit American tastes.

Me not happy.

Well suspension tunes and ECU tunes arent too much of a problem, we already soften up the Monaro in its morph into the GTO and the middle eastern bound commodores im pretty sure are tuned for leaded petrol still.
    I am the Stig

I'm just worried about seeing Holden Cavaliers..

I don't know about this cause i think holden can get there hands on some parts from other gm cars and they could even grab some ideas, Like i herd about them having all the info on the vettes front end maybe they might use things like that in the future??

They will have to have more stuff to make all this work, so it's good for anyone out there who is after a job
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I think this is a good idea, if they can lower the development costs of a new model by spreading it around manufacturers, then better models will come out, because more money can be spent on them. This is also good because more Niche models may be implemented, because they can be sold everywhere!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

but they wont spend the savings on car development... theyll line the execs pockets with it
    The Datto will rage again...

they may in fact use it to pull the company out of debt and make the company profitable once more, allowing it to function......

Not every company is lining it's pockets, although GM has a habit of doing so......

The problem theyre having with the niche products is its taking up space on the production line. They need to figure out an easier way to make different cars off the same base, hopefully something they worked out with the VE/Zeta, cause currently they reckon theyre making too many variants of the one car which is why theyre thinking of making the Monaro US made and possibly the Statesman in China
    I am the Stig

its gunna get worse when monaro goes 6lt they really need to limit they different number of engines and power levels they have i.e. just have Alloytec190, one power level Gen3 or just have Gen4
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

The Royaum (Statesman pronounced using the chinese Dialect) Has only just been put on sale, it might be a rip roaring success and if it is, then a china-specific car, built off the new statesmen Platform, will surely be built.

You see what i'm getting at?

It'll be easier to tailor cars to suit specific markets, GM has known for a long time a world car is a bit of a struggle to get right, the 3 series is probably the closest it gets, and even then some places consider it too small to be a family car.

Make the car to suit the particular market,then we're in business!

I think the Focus is proving reasonably successful as a global car, although its not really targeted worldwide as a family car like it is in the UK. Ford will be hoping it sells good once the new model arrives this year as theyre kinda in the middle as far as sales go. The importers are all lagging behind and Toyota and Holden are running away
    I am the Stig

I really don't want them interfering with the existing Holden products range or employment in Port Melbourne or anything.....

as Spaz said, I REALLY don't want them introducing Cavaleirs, Vettes or any of those 3-tonne city SUV's

I don't mind the old Chev's, but new ones give me the shits
    UCP's most hardcore GMH LH-LX Torana Fan

Thread Information