Thread: North American Made diesels selling in Europe

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?

North American Made diesels selling in Europe

Found this on Digg, pretty interesting. Neat to see that Jeep of all brands is making this good of milage, hopefully the big three gets their acts together and produces some diesels for the U.S. market.

Link: 35 MPG: Why Wait Until 2020?
    .....likes NASCAR

Jeep is just using what Mercedes has had in Europe for years

As nice as it sounds, Chrysler is still crap.

Like I said, sat in a Sebring, nearly cut my hand on the jagged mold line on the handbrake lever.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Link doesn't work, apparently.

But Chrysler uses three kinds of diesel engines, all from Europe. There's the 2-litre Volkswagen, the 2.8-litre VM Motori and the 3-litre Daimler.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

well, the thread title should actually be: European made Diesels fitted to US cars sold in Europe. The Chrysler 300CRD is by far the most popular version here, and Cadillac applies the same policy...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yeah, i was thinking that to, anyone knows if any american based car brand is developing diesel car engines?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I heard some American brands were but I don't know which ones or how soon. Its something they should do, although Americans have to get all that crappy American made diesel engines that were made in the 70s/80s as well as the connotation of diesels and big rig trucks that are noisy and spewing black smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I heard some American brands were but I don't know which ones or how soon. Its something they should do, although Americans have to get all that crappy American made diesel engines that were made in the 70s/80s as well as the connotation of diesels and big rig trucks that are noisy and spewing black smoke.
    I think some of the Ford trucks are fitted with relatively modern common rail engines, made in the USA.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think some of the Ford trucks are fitted with relatively modern common rail engines, made in the USA.
    Not only Ford trucks, but Dodge and GM trucks too I believe. They are massively big and unsuited for passenger car use though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Not only Ford trucks, but Dodge and GM trucks too I believe. They are massively big and unsuited for passenger car use though.
    yep, I surfed a little, and they are about the same size as the Audi V12 Tdi....

Well they're probably good for their purpose i.e dragging around a big truck and payload.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

In 2008 model year in the USA, there are four different diesel (all turbocharged) engines in USA Branded vehicles:
    * GM has a 6.6l V8, common rail, 4 valve per cylinder, pushrod, made in USA, designed by Izusu. Very good reputation.
    * Ford has a 6.4l V8, common rail, with twin turbochargers in series, made in the USA by Navistar (International Harvester) - poor reputation.
    * Dodge uses a 6.7l I6, common rail, 4 valve per cylinder, pushrod, made in USA by Cummins. Excellent reputation.
    (the above three are rated at over 300 hp and over 650 ft-lbs)
    * Jeep uses a 3.0l V6 made by Mercedes in Europe in the Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD.

The USA produces a large quantity of diesel engines, some companies are amongst the global leaders, just not for the automotive industry.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information