Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Bluesport Concept

Volkswagen Bluesport Concept

To be unveiled later today, here's a car that interests me - the diesel performance car onslaught continues (if only the R8 V12 TDI had been made... How interesting would that have been?)

VW is gonna unveil this car later today in Detroit (man I love car show season). It weighs just 2,600 pounds, and features a mid-mounted 2L turbodiesel that will get you 35 miles per gallon which Google tells me is about 6.7 L/100 km. Pumping out a respectable 180 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque this power plant can motivate the car - VW estimates - to 60mph 6.2 seconds. The engine is weighted to a 6 speed dual clutch transmission. Weight distribution is 45:55 - maybe a bit more rear biased to the higher relative mass of a diesel engine? I don't know. You get two storages area - one up front and another behind you for a total of 182L of storage or for you that are Imperially impaired, 6.4 cubic feet.

Looks pretty cool too. More shots will come later today.

Is this a car Ferrer and henk and myself enjoy? Has hell frozen over?!

Also these exterior shots look like renders, are they not? They look odd if they are real.
    Attached Images Attached Images

chopped shots.
    it's quite good looking considering it's a concept apparently ready for production, maybe even better than a Boxter even if the front fascia reminds me of the Opel GT/Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice, which I don't like.
    if produced it's going probably to eb heavier and this could be the best performing engine available.
    rwd or awd?
    as VW I wouldn't buy it, maybe as an Audi, it simply don't fit my idea of VW.
    perhaps they could just make the diesel version of the Boxter now that they have definitely corrupted the Cayenne, and there wouldn't be a need for this.
    still having a diesel engine (noise) in a open ar is something I don't get, especially when the engine is going to have about 100.000 km and the noise would increase dramatically.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I don't think a sportscar with a diesel engine is a good combination.

1180kg is a good figure though. I wonder what it could do with one of the clever turbo-supercharged engines.

By the way, is this intended for production?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

First of all, I like it. I don't love, but like it a lot.

Second, with Porsche talking over more than 50% of VW, will they allow a car that seems to be direct competition to the rumored entry level (sub Boxster) Porsche, and quite possibly the Boxster?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I have a feeling this one won't be built and was never intended to be built but I could be wrong.

Aren't those turbo-supercharged engines you mention Ferrer exceptionally unsmooth in power delivery Ferrer?

If this is made, I think they would pretty much have to offer a gasoline engined counterpart for those sceptical of a diesel sports car.

No less, is this not an interesting car?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I have a feeling this one won't be built and was never intended to be built but I could be wrong.

Aren't those turbo-supercharged engines you mention Ferrer exceptionally unsmooth in power delivery Ferrer?

If this is made, I think they would pretty much have to offer a gasoline engined counterpart for those sceptical of a diesel sports car.

No less, is this not an interesting car?
    Yes it is interesting. But the 6,7l/100km figure is a bit disappointing.

About the turbo-supercharged engines smoothness I've read something about them not being particularly smooth but it'd interesting technology for an interesting car.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    First of all, I like it. I don't love, but like it a lot.

Second, with Porsche talking over more than 50% of VW, will they allow a car that seems to be direct competition to the rumored entry level (sub Boxster) Porsche, and quite possibly the Boxster?
    I think this would be the better engine available, so considering the performance it would be more of a rival for the TT, but since I suppose it wouln't be that cheap, yeah, it could also hurt Boxter's sales.

Sounds interesting, not too sure if North America is ready for a diesel. The rest of the world, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes it is interesting. But the 6,7l/100km figure is a bit disappointing.

About the turbo-supercharged engines smoothness I've read something about them not being particularly smooth but it'd interesting technology for an interesting car.
    I seem to recall a review savaging the TFSI but I could be wrong. Indeed though, an interesting engine it would be for an interesting car (though I think the use of a diesel is by far the most interesting thing about this car) and in line with the VW/Audi forced induction for small engines dealie.

I didn't even realise 35 mpg was bad but I was looking at the C5's mileage (the facelifted C5 is actually sorta good looking I realised) and it tops out at 43 odd mpg and surely weighs much much more - why is this much lighter yet comparably powerful car not better in mileage than the C5 - it has the benefit of a 6-speed as well.

I seem to recall a review savaging the TFSI but I could be wrong. Indeed though, an interesting engine it would be for an interesting car (though I think the use of a diesel is by far the most interesting thing about this car) and in line with the VW/Audi forced induction for small engines dealie.

I didn't even realise 35 mpg was bad but I was looking at the C5's mileage (the facelifted C5 is actually sorta good looking I realised) and it tops out at 43 odd mpg and surely weighs much much more - why is this much lighter yet comparably powerful car not better in mileage than the C5 - it has the benefit of a 6-speed as well.
    first of all because the mileage of this car is probably a guess and nothing more, based on the fact the car have been poorly developed and tested, the engine is a tuned unit and finally VW diesels aren't the best for mileage right now as they used to be.
    with such weight and less power, I manage to have a better mileage on my car, but we should also consider these newer engines are more performance oriented than their predecessors, and it hurts the mileage more than what we could think even despite the new technologies available.

Interesting car. The composition itself greatly reminds of VW's Concept-R from several years back.
    I don't think Porsche would be so much concerned with the rivalry between this and Porsche's baby car or Boxter. I guess when the car has been developed everyone already knew that Porsche would acquire more of VW soon. We do already have Cayenne/Touareg couple, and I can't say they rival each other strongly. The same situation could be with these - cheaper and far less premium VW wouldn't make much sense for Porsche customers. Just as you don't think of bying an Octavia when looking at Passat.
    But after all, this concept doesn't yet mean Volkswagen has plans to produce it - even if they say 'will come soon', it doesn' mean anything - remember Microbus and GX3.
    By the way, in some views it makes me think of a TT basis.
    Last edited by faksta; 01-14-2009 at 07:01 AM.

My fat, tall, unaerodynamic hatchback with 145bhp has an official 52mpg and in real life it manages about 39mpg. Even the TT 1.8T (160bhp) has an official 35mpg rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    but we should also consider these newer engines are more performance oriented than their predecessors, and it hurts the mileage more than what we could think even despite the new technologies available.
    Modern petrol engines are more performant than ever and more frugal than ever.

Is diesel technology going backwards?

EDIT They quote 55mpg here.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 01-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Bleh, not very interesting, nothing a used Elise S1 can't solve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    My fat, tall, unaerodynamic hatchback with 145bhp has an official 52mpg and in real life it manages about 39mpg. Even the TT 1.8T (160bhp) has an official 35mpg rating.

Modern petrol engines are more performant than ever and more frugal than ever.

Is diesel technology going backwards?

EDIT They quote 55mpg here.
    I was considering diesel engines, and no, they aren't going backwards, but they are both reaching the limit in the development, and facing an higher demand for performance from marketing folks and customers than for a better mileage from engineers and the kind of customers that drive the car for an huge amount of miles and don't care about fashions and trends.

see Pieter's C5 already slightly tuned, nothing bad about that, but it's, theoretically and even in an old fashion way of thinking, against the idea of a diesel station wagon.
    that said, keep increasing the torque Pieter!

Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information