Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian import "Hoon" + bad media coverage

Australian import "Hoon" + bad media coverage

Seeing as this is hilarious but really shit for import owners here in australia..

Original Submission
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS6gwFgzvlA[/ame]

A Current Affair clip - Follow the link and find "hoon rampage"
    A Current Affair - ninemsn Video

Basically the Top video, the original submission, Was to be TopGear Australias stig, submitted in confidence to freehand media.

Freehand + TG AU moved to channel 9 (which ACA is aired on) this year, and with it the submission tapes for the first series. What do you get? media uproar over a video 2 years old. Which will further dint the publics view of ALL import drivers. I freely admit there are a few drivers who do this on public roads, but the vast majority do the right thing, and will suffer.

I think ACA really have their heads up their ass, and to chop and change the clip to show it the way they have is pretty f*cking low. I'm not even going to mention Ian Luffs' claims of 100+kph, or the fact that he calls this the worst he has seen.

Thought it was interesting to see the truth behind the clip, and what great spin doctors the editors are at ACA..

EDIT: I do NOT condone this guys driving on public roads, I put this up to open discussion on media and its influence.
    Last edited by whiteballz; 02-02-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

They're all idiots.

Where the hell did the bad BGM come from? Are we back to blaming rock and roll for society's troubles?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

car seems pretty nice though. decent driving and nice looking roads.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Thats in the Royal National Park in the South Eastern most part of Sydney (they are fun roads to drive but also dangerous as they are poorly maintained, a friend crashed the other week there).
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I put this up to open discussion on media and its influence.
    Obvioulsy didn't get the job .. I wonder why?

This sap was hoping to influence media, but I think the media will influence him.

I don't watch ACA so I didn't see Ian Luffs comments.

But as far as motoring expertise and public credibilty is concerned, he's definately got the runs on the board (way moreso than any of us) and being such an acknowledged authority on the subject at hand, is more than entitled to proffer comment .. whatever it was
    Last edited by nota; 02-02-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: luff profile link added for overseas members

Decent driving, but for God's sake do it on a track.

I auditioned for the Stig; all I got was ACA lies – Crikey
    why people still watch ACA is a mystery to me.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

^ 'breach of trust/contract' vs 'concealment of numerous criminal offences'

have a guess how this one would pan out in court
    why people still watch ACA is a mystery to me.
    ..or Channel 9 in general (losing money, losing market share, conservative losers still up to their old and oh-so-typical dirty tricks)

btw, amazed to see the official Oz Of The Year awards being hosted by none other than those two Channel 9 News presenter slimebags, stefanovic & watkins (along with KRudd's accedance) .. WHY delve so low? and WTF not the ABC?!

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    Thats in the Royal National Park in the South Eastern most part of Sydney (they are fun roads to drive but also dangerous as they are poorly maintained, a friend crashed the other week there).
    The first (and thus far only) time I went through there on my bike, we passed an accident that looked a lot like a rider dropped it around a tight corner and hit a car coming the other way. Either he saw the car and tried to turn in harder to miss it or just bad timing.. really shows that driving like that when you can't see at least 5 seconds in front of you is a stupid idea.

Although I don't agree with A Current Affairs tactics, this guy is why I and my family only drive four wheel drives. The man clearly has good driving skills but if I was coming around the corner on that road in my Landcruiser to see that car coming at me sideways I'd brake hard and that'd be it. I wouldn't be swerving on that road for his sake and I wouldn't even feel bad about the likely results of my 3 ton car and giant steel bull bar meeting his import.

Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    Although I don't agree with A Current Affairs tactics, this guy is why I and my family only drive four wheel drives. The man clearly has good driving skills but if I was coming around the corner on that road in my Landcruiser to see that car coming at me sideways I'd brake hard and that'd be it. I wouldn't be swerving on that road for his sake and I wouldn't even feel bad about the likely results of my 3 ton car and giant steel bull bar meeting his import.
    apparently the roads were closed.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

If the roads were closed, I'm sorry to the man in question. However I see people driving like that every day and night so my feelings are still the same.

From Crikey:

A Current Affair's road safety crusade could be about to enter slippery legal territory after it used recycled footage from a two-year-old Top Gear audition tape in a faked attempt to "trap" a hoon driver.

Last night on ACA, the heavily promoted opening segment, entitled "Car Hoon" and tagged with an "exclusive" watermark, ran three full minutes of footage of a mystery man called "Carlo" driving his souped-up Nissan somewhere on Sydney's roads.

[video type="youtube"]35CWegauhlQ[/video]

"We'll let the video speak for itself, because we want your help to find him," intoned host Tracey Grimshaw before airing the video of "Carlo" "drifting" across double lines to the network's heavy metal soundtrack. At the end of the segment, reporter Tom Steinfort issued a shout for viewers to catch "Crazy Carlo", and promised a follow-up on tonight's program.

"But first we have to find him and that's where you come in. We believe his name is Carlo -- Crazy Carlo." Steinfort then aired a cleaned-up image of the vehicle's registration.

But Crikey can reveal that the source for the story was the YouTube clip below, uploaded to the web on September 26 last year. The clip clearly identified the driver's first and last name and its intended purpose -- an audition tape for the mysterious Stig test-driver on the local version of Top Gear.

"Hi everybody at Freehand, my name is Carlo Arena and I would like to be your Stig."

[video type="youtube"]YS6gwFgzvlA[/video]

(For those unaware, The Stig is an white-clad character on both versions of Top Gear who test-drives vehicles under a cloak of anonymity. Top Gear's production company Freehand issued a shout out for Stig auditions way back in 2007. Arena submitted an audition and hadn't heard anything back -- until last night.)

Damningly for Steinfort and Nine, the YouTube source not only includes lingering footage of the driver, but also reveals his first and last name, which Steinfort claims not to know. None of this footage was aired by Nine.

Crikey contacted Arena and his representative (Arena was in a meeting consulting with his lawyers) told Crikey there were only two copies of the video -- one retained by Arena and the other sent to Freehand. The YouTube video was uploaded about a year after the initial audition tape was submitted and the poster and the initial commenters were far from friendly. Nine secured the rights to Top Gear at around the same time the video was posted.

"Look at the date on the YouTube video. You can draw your own conclusions," Arena's representative said.

Crikey understands that the Nissan in question was sold months later, on February 22, 2008, and the registration was binned when it became a track car -- rendering Nine's shout-out pointless.

On the Freehand website, there are explicit instructions that the identity of the driver submitting tapes to the company would not be revealed. Under the section "How to Apply", the company says the following:

Record anything you think demonstrates for what you are and what you can do ... and if you want to be The Stig -- persuade us you know how to drive and we’ll NEVER reveal who you are -- and you won’t either."

Arena's representative admitted to Crikey that the stunt was "dangerous", said the road in question had been blocked off with other vehicles.

We called Freehand executive producer Peter Abbott to ask whether he had liaised with Nine over the tape but were told he was "asleep" in Los Angeles, despite it being 4pm Los Angeles time when we called. Another Freehand employee, who did not want to be named, told Crikey they had received "thousands" of audition tapes along the lines of Arena's but were "certain" copies hadn't been released to Nine.

Steinfort and A Current Affair refused to respond to Crikey's requests for urgent comment.

But YouTube commenters on the source for the story were damning.

"So how did A Current Affair get the tape? If they want viewers to help them find him, why didn't they show the video of him speaking to the camera at the start?" said one.

"I love how they slap "ACA exclusive" on the video - it's on YouTube ffs, not exactly exclusive", said another.
    ACA (and Nine) are a pack of sensationalist cunts.

e; f, b
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Tonights followup was retarded aswell, they actually decided to mention that they knew his name the entire time. Among many other things - ACA need a wakeup call.. If only a rival station/show would air a rebuttle by someone in a situaiton to comment.. Bring the other side of the situation to bare - mention that putting all imports in the same basket does more harm than good ect.. Show the public we dont actually condone what he did if the road was public, however I've heard from more than one source that the road was indeed blocked by other vechicles.

A few Facebook groups have started about this incident, and one particularly enjoyable idea is that we need replica shirts like TG's "I am the stig" only "I am/not the carlos".
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Get Media Watch on the case!

Thread Information