Thread: All new Mercedes-Benz SL 500 revealed in full detail ...

All new Mercedes-Benz SL 500 revealed in full detail ...

Today Mercedes-Benz released the full details of the first all-new SL since 2003. As already revealed a few weeks ago, the 'R231' generation is true to the 'Sport Leicht' moniker as it is substantially lighter than the outgoing model despite being longer and wider. This is mostly due to the all aluminium bodyshell, which only adds 110 kg to the car's weight. The new SL is available immediately with a choice of a V6 (SL 350) and V8 (SL 500). The latter is a smaller version of the alloy eight cylinder engine used in the earlier '500'. This is more than compensated by the addition of two turbos and direct injection. In fact at 435 hp, the 4.7 litre V8 is actually considerably more powerful. Both engines are fitted to a seven-speed automatic gearbox. Other new features include the 'Magic Vision Control' wipe/wash system, which is more efficient than conventional systems. Available as an option is 'Magic Sky Control', which allows the transparent roof to switch between dark and light at the touch of a button. For now the SL 500 is the top of the range model but we expect an AMG version to become available before the end of next year.

Enjoy the links:

2012 Mercedes-Benz SL 500 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Nice, i'll take the V8.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

what a very lovely car.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Nice, it's the first Mercedes I've liked in a while. Still a little blocky in the face, too boisterous with that massive Mercedes emblem, and a little busy overall, but it's a much better effect than I've seen from their studios in a long, long time. Great to see direct injection making its way on there as well.

Incidentally the "Magic Sky Control" is an idea I had a while back, albeit much more simple (and probably more reliable) in concept.
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-23-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Styling breaks no new ground as expected from Mercedes... it's a handsome design, though I'm not crazy about the blockiness
    of the nose either. Overall proportions are good, but integration of the lights less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Incidentally the "Magic Sky Control" is an idea I had a while back, albeit much more simple (and probably more reliable) in concept.
    Electrochromic glass has been around awhile, so it is a surprise that only now it comes to market in an automotive application.
    What was your idea, and how more reliable?

Gotta love car company feature names: "MAGIC VISION CONTROL" sounds like something from 1950s Chrysler or Cadillac marketing.
    I haven't seen detail drawings of how it works, but sounds very much like the directional spray bars offered in the '60s.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I had thought of something to eliminate sun visors - small IR sensors with the ability to track both the location of the sun and the eyes of folks riding in the car, and blot out the sun right there in the glass, in the right location, instantaneously moving the sun block with the movement of the passengers. The driver could control how dark, how much area is darkened, etc., with the side benefit of having instantly adjustible window tint as well As you can tell, this is far more complex which compounds the individual components' falure rates...it would be pretty rough to have it fail on a sunny day.
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.

^^^ It would put the price of cars up wouldn't it. Also if get a chip of a crack in you window it would be so expencive to replace.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    ^^^ It would put the price of cars up wouldn't it. Also if get a chip of a crack in you window it would be so expencive to replace.
    You are right about all of that. That's why it would be at home in luxury cars

^^^ Supose so. If people are prepared to pay £200 + for a rolls they would pay more for things like that.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

That's kind of where I envisioned it, inside a Rolls, Bentley, Maybach, etc.

Speaking of Bentleys, I need to head over to the "I just saw a..." thread...

Speaking of Bentley. I work on a farm, one of the guys i milked with who comes in every so often to help out if we are short of workers. Anyway, his Nan who's 90 now buys a new Bentley every two years, rich family who owned a lot of land. It’s alright for some.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    That's kind of where I envisioned it, inside a Rolls, Bentley, Maybach, etc.

Speaking of Bentleys, I need to head over to the "I just saw a..." thread...
    I think one of the first products with the magic glass was on the Ferrari 575M Superamerica.

Thread Information