Thread: New car features layout

New car features layout

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com readers,

Today, we have completely revised our car features layout. This represents the single biggest change to this section in our history and should greatly improve your reading experience and also enable us to look at the cars even more in-depth.

So what have we done? We have split the large amount of content all squeezed into one page over several pages. This has allowed to use a slightly larger font and also add more images, information and specifications than ever before. You can navigate between the various sections of the car features through buttons on the top and bottom of the page. Where the article is spread over more pages, there are additional navigation buttons directly above and below the text.

As you can imagine with over 4,000 cars featured, this does require a lot of work on our end to update but we have redesigned the pages in such a way that the original content still more than fills the new pages. A few months ago, you already saw a first sign of things to come in the form of the gallery images connected to the car features and this also forms an integral part of the revised layout.

All of this will be a lot clearer if you explore any of the following links:

1995 - 1996 McLaren F1 GTR - Images, Specifications and Information

1979 - 1981 Porsche 935 K3 - Images, Specifications and Information

These should be a little fresher in your memory:

2013 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S - Images, Specifications and Information

1936 - 1938 Bugatti Type 57 SC Atlantic Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

We very much hope you enjoy the revised layout and will continue to follow Ultimatecarpage.com while we will do our best to expand and improve on the website and its contents. If you have any questions and/or remarks, please don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Kind regards,

Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thumbs up! I like it.

Here is another reason why we love the new layout so much:

2006 - 2010 Ferrari F430 GTC Gallery Images - Ultimatecarpage.com
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Overall i give it a thumbs up, that last link sold me on it. 30 years from now it'll be awesome to come back and look at all the different liveries that the cars i grew up with competed in and this new ability to upload 300+ pictures is perfect for that

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Overall i give it a thumbs up, that last link sold me on it. 30 years from now it'll be awesome to come back and look at all the different liveries that the cars i grew up with competed in and this new ability to upload 300+ pictures is perfect for that
    These additional shots are actually the ones featured in event galleries. You can also go directly to a car feature from a shot in an image gallery if that particular interests you and of course has been featured by us.

(Ted Joans)

I have just noticed that the chassis numbers in the "Chassis" section of each page seem to be in white text on a white background. I am not sure if this is deliberate, but the contrast is not as good as it could be. They are a bit hard to read....

Quote Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
    I have just noticed that the chassis numbers in the "Chassis" section of each page seem to be in white text on a white background. I am not sure if this is deliberate, but the contrast is not as good as it could be. They are a bit hard to read....
    This may be down to the style sheet being cached by your browser. Perhaps you can try a refresh: CTRL-F5 or CMD-R for example depending on your OS/Browser combination.

(Ted Joans)

Huh, yea, mine was doing that too. Force refresh fixed it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Huh, yea, mine was doing that too. Force refresh fixed it.
    Excellent. That is good to hear.

(Ted Joans)

Thanks chaps. Using Windows 7/Chrome, clearing the cache using the "clear browsing data" in the options menu worked. All good now. My only criticism of the new layout would be the font. I think a serif font, such as Times or Times New Roman, would make better use of the larger font size for readability of the articles. Given the popularity of sans-serif fonts, I know I might be in a minority on this topic, though. Just a trivial point. Otherwise it looks good.

I don't like serifs, they're arrogant. You can override the font used on websites in your browser settings, though it's an 'internet-wide' setting.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Overall, I do not like it. I do like that there can be now so many photos of car since they're on a separate gallery page, but still I'd prefer to see more than one photo of the car on the "main" page to get a better overall picture (maybe a couple of selected ones). But what I find the worst is that to see the for example the engine configuration (possibly the most looked specification?) you need to click. Especially distractive if you already started to read the text. And why the actual text is often spread into two pages? Typically the text is not that long. It is actually quite easy to miss and forget that there is a 2nd page.

Last edited by So Slow; 06-14-2013 at 05:00 PM.

is there a way to download all the Gallery images of a given car ? When you click on download all, it only does the top section. Example 1969 - 1970 Chevron B16 Cosworth Gallery Images - Ultimatecarpage.com

The gallery images are not included in the "save all" function.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Can I just add that I appreciate seeing the history behind each chassis when applicable?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Somewhat recently (months, but maybe not immediately since the new layout came) site has become slow and sluggish. Maybe some scripts need some optimization?

I can even notice it on this forum too, but perhaps most noticeable on the car pages, especially gallery page:

(random pick) 1995 - 1996 McLaren F1 GTR - Images, Specifications and Information

Swap between image gallery and rest of the pages, especially during the first load there is a short time when the page is basically in unresponsive state and when e.g. browser's scrollbar can't be moved or can be but is happens unsmoothly, until whole page (the problematic elements/scripts) has been loaded.

Can reproduce this on at least on Chrome and FF. Ads are another matter, but blocking them makes no difference to this issue.

Because of this browsing cars and their pics has become pretty annoying experience.

Thread Information