Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class (W218) 2010-

Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Brake (W218)

Stuttgart. With the new CLS Shooting Brake, Mercedes-Benz is once again setting an example when it comes to creativity of design, and as such highlighting its leading role in this area: in terms of its proportions, the new CLS is quite clearly a coupé, but with five doors and a roof which continues through to the rear, it promises some remarkable new possibilities. The idea of the four-door coupé – successfully introduced in 2004 with the first CLS and long imitated in the meantime – has now been taken to new heights and to innovative effect. The result is automotive independence at its most beautiful.
    According to CEO Dr. Dieter Zetsche: "Any memorable machine is equal parts art and science. A car has to first deliver in function – the ticket of entry – and then in fascination: the ticket to real excitement. The CLS Shooting Brake excels on both accounts – unlike any other car in the market".
    The proportions of the CLS Shooting Brake are surprising but clearly those of a coupé, and create a basic stance which makes it look ready for the off: the long bonnet, narrow-look windows with frameless side windows, and dynamic roof sloping back towards the rear. It is only when taking a second look that it becomes clear that the Shooting Break actually has five doors and offers "more" in terms of function.
    In essence it represents an unprecedented version of a sports car with five seats and a large tailgate. It is a special proposition for people looking to differentiate themselves from the mainstream, and who do not wish to compromise on either sportiness or stowage space when it comes to travelling in style. The Shooting Brake is a further highlight in the innovative luxury vehicle series from Mercedes-Benz and, like the CLS Coupé, has the potential to become the role model for a new market segment.
    "The CLS Shooting Brake is based on the great tradition of stylish sportiness which has always characterised Mercedes, and takes these unique icons an exciting step further", explains Gorden Wagener, Head of Design at Mercedes‑Benz. "It stands for the enhanced design idiom of Mercedes-Benz which is oriented towards aesthetic, avant-garde principles". This is seen in the impressive series of market-defining new vehicle concepts, such as the SLK for example, which in 1996 established a genre as the first Roadster with a retractable steel roof, the M-Class as the first premium SUV in 1998, or the first four-door CLS Coupé in 2004.

As its not much more then a CLS with a bigger boot, I thought making a new thread wouldn't be necessary.

W218 Schooting Brake #4
    I couldn't find a green version on the Daimler website

W218 Schooting Brake #5
    Red is the new white

I have to say, I quite like it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I have to say, I quite like it.
    Me too. Unfortunately, it seems like the whole automotive fanbase disagrees (as showcased in the Autoblog thread )
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Lesson the firste: never read the comments on the internet.

I like that this is a wagon, but this is not my cup o' tea. It has most of the issues that the Panamera has.. blobtastic. Then again, I've never been a fan of the CLS class.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Me too. Unfortunately, it seems like the whole automotive fanbase disagrees (as showcased in the Autoblog thread )
    Bah, I wouldn't be too much bothered by what people at Autoblog say...

However, it could be true that this may only work properly in Europe automatically slimming its profit margins against the CLS saloon, A7 and 6er Grand Coupé.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I agree with both off you. Not visiting many internet sites for roughly half a year does that to you, I guess .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information