Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix (Mar 22 - 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    I know that the team comes first in F1 (largely because Enzo Ferrari made it that way), but if you're gonna enforce team orders, put the faster guy in front. It wouldn't have made any difference if Horner told Webber to move over or if Brawn told Hamilton to move over, you'd have still had a Red Bull 1-2 and a Merc-AMG 3-4. Or if Rosberg could've caught and passed Webber, which Mark fell like a rock after Seb passed him, that's more points for Mercedes-Benz and less for RBR in the teams ranking.
    The problem with the Red Bulls was that Webber was not slower. Both drivers were told to conserve the engine and Vettel ignored this order and that is why he easily drove around Webber.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Well that was fun. Absolute aggression from Mark and Seb when they went ape on each other.

Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    I know that the team comes first in F1 (largely because Enzo Ferrari made it that way), but if you're gonna enforce team orders, put the faster guy in front. It wouldn't have made any difference if Horner told Webber to move over or if Brawn told Hamilton to move over, you'd have still had a Red Bull 1-2 and a Merc-AMG 3-4. Or if Rosberg could've caught and passed Webber, which Mark fell like a rock after Seb passed him, that's more points for Mercedes-Benz and less for RBR in the teams ranking.

The thing that peeves me is that these guys are supposed to be race drivers, not team shrills. Clearly, I'm not in favor of team orders, and that's what I liked about Audi racing at Sebring. They had the race won from the green flag as long as they didn't screw up, but they still raced like Toyota were pursuing them.

The only way to get rid of any team orders is if, as in NASCAR, the teams had different sponsors on each car, but the FIA has already made it known that they don't like the idea.

And after the race, a radio transmission was picked up where Rosberg told Brawn that "well talk about this later", or something along those lines. The NBC crew basically took that as Nico telling Ross in a veiled tone "you owe me one for myself falling on my sword". It's pretty clear that right now that Mercedes-Benz want's Hamilton to be the #1 right now, which I feel that Lewis should have to earn that position, but at least he has the speed to be the #1 at Merc-AMG F1, unlike MS.

It all goes back to what Rob Smedly told Massa at the '10 German GP: "Fernado is faster than you. Do you understand?" And Jean Todt, who Max Mosley fined $1 million over a team orders scandal about a decade ago, abolished the team orders ban ahead of the next GP and the FIA fined Ferrari $100,00 for "technically" being in breach of the regs--pretty much lip service for those who pointed out that Ferrari did technically break the rule as it was at that time.

I'm not in favor of contrived team orders, but I know why they exist, but this is Formula One--the alleged pinnacle of motorsports (though I'd say that sportscar racing is the real pinnacle of motorsports now), and I'd rather have "natural" team orders (fastest guy in front) as opposed to Horner and Brawn telling all their drivers to slow down and hold station because of alleged "fuel mileage" concerns. This isn't Group C, after all.
    Well it is Group C in a way, because they have a finite amount of fuel, but anyway. The thing is while it is a team sport the champion the people remember is the one for the driver's championship and the car he drove, not the manufacturer's championship hence why Red Bull would've preferred Vettel in front and Mercedes Hamilton in front, because despite being slower today they have more theoretical chances of winning the championship at the end of the year.

This is also why Alonso got a better strategy than Massa in Australia, even though Massa had been faster than him all weekend.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I like how RBR is all "angry" at Seb for not following order to hold station, and Ham said he'll consider repaying Rosberg...

Talk is cheap, actually doing something about it is another story....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

So did Alonso ignore a team order to come into the pitbox or did Ferrari just let him decide on that one? Really embarrassing for the driver and the team either way to let that one slip.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    So did Alonso ignore a team order to come into the pitbox or did Ferrari just let him decide on that one? Really embarrassing for the driver and the team either way to let that one slip.
    The plan was to stay out until the track had dried up enough to put the slicks and change the broken nose so that they'd only have stop once.

If it had paid out perhaps Alonso would've been in contention for a podium finish or even maybe a fight for the win. But it didn't.

In terms of blame, well I think it's shared this time. First Alonso's fault for crashing into Vettel in turn 2, then the team's for taking the gamble described in the first paragraph.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In terms of blame, well I think it's shared this time. First Alonso's fault for crashing into Vettel in turn 2, then the team's for taking the gamble described in the first paragraph.
    I would think Alonso would have been onside for the gamble. I assumed he'd make it around.

At first, I thought Mark tagged him on the end of the straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Same here. TV coverage was a little sporadic on the start.

... And what's up with NBC Sports taking F1 this year? (for the American audience)

^ Yeah, still getting used to NBC Sports covering F1

And lol at Webber to Vettel on the intercom: "This is silly, sir. Come on."
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

So far NBC has not been that different to SPEED. Same cast and crew, same amount of commercial, and same pre and post race coverage. Supposedly though they'll have some special programming like what they have for Indy car, where they follow a driver around for a race weekend...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I would think Alonso would have been onside for the gamble. I assumed he'd make it around.

Well, he possibly agreed, but from where he was sitting he possibly couldn't see the state of the front wing. It was the team's job to judge if it could last 2 or 3 laps, which well... didn't.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by PRC777 View Post
    And lol at Webber to Vettel on the intercom: "This is silly, sir. Come on."
    That wasn't Webber to Seb, that was Seb's race mechanic, Rocky. The drivers can't talk to each other on the intercom.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Oh, okay. I obviously misinterpreted that.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Sniff Petrol has very handily deciphered Red Bull's multi codes for us.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    That wasn't Webber to Seb, that was Seb's race mechanic, Rocky. The drivers can't talk to each other on the intercom.
    No man, that was Horner.

Thread Information