Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic (affordable) cars

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i have a friend with an old mazda 323 (the RWD one) with an SR20 in it. not sure if it stands out like you want, but it does 12 sec 1/4 mile runs. clean car and he did it ona tight budget, maybe a retro-tech conversion of some kind could be within your price range?
    Nothing affordable in the states has anything to do with an sr20.

Ca18det would be a better bet over there they came in s12 gazelles series 1 rx7s are fairly affordable and are pretty out of the ordinary,a fairly hot nissan gazelle is pretty diffrent,starions with the really old version of the 4g63 in them have plenty of go and are really out there and the always lovely 240/260Zs are not too edgy either.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

If you got the space, go for a mid 60's galaxie with a big block and a 4speed. If you can find one, get a convertible.

MG's are another option. MGB's and Midgets are cheap fun. There are also a ton of aftermarket parts for both, from stock to full race spec.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 09-07-2008 at 06:46 AM.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Yeah, I just saw a Nissan 280Z in great condition. It makes my knees weak just looking at it. I would go for one too.

I've never seen one in such great condition. And it's in my neighborhood too! I hope he sticks around more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Mods definitely - the engine is different he said - that car would by my estimation be extraordinarily slow with it's base power plant.

Not a Nissan CamNismo? I am shocked!

I woulda figured you'd go for a gorgeous 240Z - back when Nissan had a cool name - Datsun. The 240Z is 1 of 2 Nissans off the top of my head that I think look sweet, the other being the Skyline R34.
    Yeah I dont know what I was thinking of when I didn't post a Nissan...Haha...I just thought the Omni would be a cheap sleeper car.

I like the old Datsun 240z and I have looked at alot of them around my area, but most, if not all, were in horrible shape!!! I also like the old Datsun 510 and Nissan Z31 300zx...
    Oo____oO GT-R

my answer is always FB.. although teh racers suggestion of the 2002 is also a good one
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

And if money were no object then I'd hit up this....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ringle View Post
    And if money were no object then I'd hit up this....
    Keep an eye on the main page tomorrow.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    MG's are another option. MGB's and Midgets are cheap fun. There are also a ton of aftermarket parts for both, from stock to full race spec.
    x2
    also a TR6 would be an option. or i'd get another original mini cooper.
    what about an RA22 or TA22 celica? the mini mustang styled ones.
    other mazda's i'd look at would be an RX-4 or Capella
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    do you the guy in Monterey that has the Abarth 1000 OTR? We saw it parked at the Starbucks cafe near the airport, on the way out to the track.
    And yes a 2002 (or any 02 series would be a lot of fun to drive.
    No I don't know him personally but I also saw him that weekend, he complemented me on my 02 and I on his Abarth and we got talking a little but that's it. We met at a gas station. I wish I knew you were coming around these parts I could have said hello and maybe we could have got an overpriced lunch at the track. Did you happen to get any pictures of Mr. Andretti in his Lotus?
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Yeah but they break a lot. Trust me I know two people that have them. My uncle just picked up a 60's 911 for 15k although I don't know if that's affordable for you. The suggestion of an FB was also good but it would be hard to find one in good shape. Try getting your hands on an old Mini or even a Porsche 914. If it absolutely doesn't have to be a classic NA (Early to mid 90's) Miata's are the cheapest fun I can think of. Also while were on the topic of not so classic cars you can try a Gen-1 or Gen-2 Toyota MR-2. If you can try finding an AE-86 Corolla,don't let the name fool you, they're fast. If you want a cheap good ,gas-mileage car you can autocross, buy a Honda Fit, coilovers, sway bars, and strut braces. Believe me on that one, no one will be laughing when they see your time. That's about all I can think of now, I'll post later when something pops into my mind. I hope this helped, and good luck!
    Last edited by TehRacer; 09-07-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by TehRacer View Post
    If you can try finding an AE-86 Corolla,don't let the name fool you, they're fast.!
    They are NOT fast unless your tak fujiwara
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by TehRacer View Post
    No I don't know him personally but I also saw him that weekend, he complemented me on my 02 and I on his Abarth and we got talking a little but that's it. We met at a gas station. I wish I knew you were coming around these parts I could have said hello and maybe we could have got an overpriced lunch at the track. Did you happen to get any pictures of Mr. Andretti in his Lotus?
    we have been coming each year since 2005, and will be back next year. We might have been at the same 7-eleven gas station, did you see the Mustang with license plate #14?.... I got several shots of Andretti, both in the corkscrew and in turn 11.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

As has already been mentioned the MG Miget is probably one of the most affordable real classic car in the uk anyway.

Everyday Classics : Midget: Chrome bumper, RWA
    UP THE BORO!!!!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I don't know how much leeway we're giving 'classic' here. For an affordable older car though, I've always thought of just abandoning practicality and going for a Toyota MR2. They're cheap and great. I'd have to go with 2nd gen though. The 1st gen have quite a following and are supposedly liked more because they're lighter, but they're just too ugly to me. The second gen are elegant.

Another I could afford and would be much more practical would be a Mazda Protege. Less mid-engine-ness but more seats. The MR2 ultimately you could turn into quite a quick car, whereas the protege would always be basically a go-kart. Not the right layout to make it racy, but you could make it a clean sporty car still. FF cars are good for fun cars you can mess around with and not get punished too badly.

Oh, and one last car: Subaru GL (Leone) wagon. This car is ugly, underpowered and old. However, it does have a few features that make it a great car to make into a fun sporty car. Primarily affordable 4WD on a small car.

My friend had one and it was such a fun vehicle. The 4wd system is amazing for the age of the car, you can switch between 4wd high and low while moving for instance. The car also comes with stock adjustable suspension. What's best? He got it for $100 bucks. You can do a lot of mods with the left-over money!
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Thread Information