Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda NSX / Acura NSX (2nd gen) NC1 2015-2022

Honda NSX / Acura NSX (2nd gen) NC1 2015-2022

#1 "Lack of confidence" is perhaps the most appropriate description of the new NSX.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#2 Honda had a really hard time figuring what its own flagship should be. In 2008, NSX prototype had a V-10 mounted under its front bonnet. It was scrapped. Then, in 2012, another prototype was built with classic NSX layout - transversely mounted V6 in the middle. That car was scrapped too. Four years later, final version of the new NSX is completely re-engineered once again. Now its V-6 is mounted longitudinally and has two turbos and three electric motors.

#3 With all this electrickery, the NSX weighs a porky 1725kg. Honda points out that, given the technology used, this is one of those times where you can add weight and complexity to a car in search of a more authentic sports car experience. No authentic sports car maker talks like that.

#4 One of NSX’s main goals is to be rational everyday supercar. So it is subjected to the same kinds of practical goals as Honda’s everyday cars - it needs to be safe, stable, quiet, fitted with sensible tyres.

Unfortunatley, the world’s perception of the NSX is that it’s a irrational, uncompromised, take-no-prisoners, awesome supercar. Because it has supercar looks, supercar horsepower (421 kW) and supercar price (up to €190,000).

The biggest problem of the new NSX is that its missing proper supercar attitude.
    Last edited by Revo; 12-28-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    #4 One of NSX’s main goals is to be rational everyday supercar. So it is subjected to the same kinds of practical goals as Honda’s everyday cars - it needs to be safe, stable, quiet, fitted with sensible tyres.

Unfortunatley, the world’s perception of the NSX is that it’s a irrational, uncompromised, take-no-prisoners, awesome supercar. Because it has supercar looks, supercar horsepower (421 kW) and supercar price (up to €190,000).

The biggest problem of the new NSX is that its missing proper supercar attitude.
    Me thinks the the writer doth protest too much. (Apology to Shakespeare)
    Last edited by C-4 guy; 12-29-2015 at 07:05 AM.

190 grand would buy you an F-Type R Coupé and an XE S.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wow, that's quite a markup for the EU market.

Holy crap, does Honda just want this car to fail or something? I literally think Honda green lit this car just to show that they tried, then no one buys it, and then they can go back to making Accords, Fits, Civics and MDX, CRV and Pilot and RDX SUVs. It's like they decided to shoot themselves in both feet before they even attempt to walk out the door.

There are a whole lot of options before you even consider this car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    There are a whole lot of options before you even consider this car.
    Yes but very few of them are hybrids. Future tech, man! Real torque vectoring! Electric motors! ..uhh.. Blue!

It's not for us, but someone will buy it. Then when it's successful, Honda will make a Civic Type-R that's really heavy but it's ok because it's a hybrid. Or maybe actually a CR-Z that's actually ok.

Or something.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Or... you could save 50 grand and buy and i8 which is hybrid and made properly.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And arguably looks better.. and is slower.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

No, I don't think the i8 is a proper choice to consider, as it has a finger into too many pies (okay, just two), but can't decide which one to be. It has low rolling resistance tires, and yet can hustle to 60 mph very quickly...

Either you decide to be a full on sports car with hybrid augmentation, or you go full on economy car in my opinion. There's no reason to spend that much money to get a very fast sports car that happens to have low rolling resistance tires. It doesn't make any sense for me.

The upcoming Mi8 or whatever the M division has in store for it will do very nicely.

The i8 is the future of performance driving and sportscars. In a way it is like a bigger, faster, more exotic and more expensive CR-Z; at least spiritually.

Unfortunately we can't no longer avoid the fact that, one day, we will run out of petrol. Cars like the i8 and the CR-Z show us that the future does not necessarily have to be boring. Yes, we will have to go "eco" (electric, hybrid, low rolling resistance tyres or whatever that means) but performance and handling will still be there.

Unlike the NSX (or the holy trinity of contemporary supercars) the batteries do not look like an afterthought, unnecessarily adding complexity and weight because "it's the thing to do". Cars like the i8 and the CR-Z have been thought from the onset to be green and fun. Yes, their execution may be flawed (what pioneer isn't?) but they are the future.

And thanks to them, the future doesn't look hopeless.
    Visca Catalunya!

The i8 is the future of performance driving and sportscars. In a way it is like a bigger, faster, more exotic and more expensive CR-Z; at least spiritually.

Unfortunately we can't no longer avoid the fact that, one day, we will run out of petrol. Cars like the i8 and the CR-Z show us that the future does not necessarily have to be boring. Yes, we will have to go "eco" (electric, hybrid, low rolling resistance tyres or whatever that means) but performance and handling will still be there.

Unlike the NSX (or the holy trinity of contemporary supercars) the batteries do not look like an afterthought, unnecessarily adding complexity and weight because "it's the thing to do". Cars like the i8 and the CR-Z have been thought from the onset to be green and fun. Yes, their execution may be flawed (what pioneer isn't?) but they are the future.

And thanks to them, the future doesn't look hopeless.
    I'm still not certain electric cars and the battery system is the way to go with the future. There's no denying that oil is a limiting factor, but there's also no better alternative. Electric cars need rare earth metals that are mined mostly from China, although the US is increasing rare earth metal production. Chinese mines don't care about the environment. So if you factor in the environmental cost of mining those metals, shipping them, and then producing the car, and then charging the batteries, I would argue that none of the current crop of electric cars are anywhere near where we need to be in terms of environmental friendliness. Of course, you also need to factor in the emissions from earth moving equipment, blasting open the earth, runoff from the mine and all the dirty water from the mining process. I will agree that these environmental factors are really hard to quantify, and you could argue that fracking causes similar problems too. But I don't think there has been an electric or hybrid car that caters specifically for enthusiasts yet, except perhaps for the Tesla Model S. Tesla I have problems with though, as it seems like a very large alpha test for which you are paying to be a part of.

And if you factor in the fact that the US makes most of its electricity from coal and not renewable energy sources, then you're still polluting at a different source that you're not factoring in. Actually, if most of the US electricity production is from nuclear energy, then I'd be much happier with electric cars. If you note, most of the acid rain in the US is produced from coal plants in the midwest, which follows weather patterns and deposits that stuff in northeastern USA.

Personally, I'd go for hydrogen power, but there is no good alternative for storing it, so electric is the current best alternative.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDLUSqfqxg"]2017 Acura NSX: The Slowest Supercar in the World? - Ignition Ep. 143 - YouTube[/ame]

The review from Motortrend looks promising, but appears to have my same concerns- what would have happened if they made a complete modern successor to the original NSX?

The performance looks there- the horsepower figures are relatively low, but so is the GT-R. It needs high performance tires though.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 01-03-2016 at 02:13 PM.

I searched high and low for this, but I couldn't find a thread on the new NSX. I'm so happy the new forum upgrades resizes files automatically.

Please add to the High Res Hideout if possible.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 11-27-2019 at 10:52 PM.

I got these photos all from the UK Honda Press site. Not very well organized, but a very easy to access site for Honda stuff in general. Plus, no log in required.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 11-27-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Thread Information