Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari California (F149 & F149M) 2008-

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    both Maserati and 8C are not made of aluminium.

i thought the same, i used to dislike the 599 first photochopped pics, but then it turned out to be my favourite ferrari of the current line up.

a coupe version will never exist, for sure, there isn't such a project in ferrari's offices. and i don't feel the need for another ferrari coupe, i am waiting for the new 612, but we have to wait a lot...
    I know, that's why I said the car shares nothing with the 8C or GT.

Also, I wouldn't be too sure about there never being a coupe. If Ferrari wants to expand the market on this car it's really easy to turn a car like this into a coupe (as opposed to turning a coupe into a convertible).
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Also, I wouldn't be too sure about there never being a coupe. If Ferrari wants to expand the market on this car it's really easy to turn a car like this into a coupe (as opposed to turning a coupe into a convertible).
    But being a folding hardtop then maybe not much of a point?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The word on the grapevine is that it's an entirely new car and aside from a few odds and ends in the engine management it shares nothing with the Maserati GT or Alfa 8C.

I suspect the pictures do not do the car justice, much like the original photographs of the 599, and once new pictures (not in red) appear, it will look much better.

Finally, here's to hoping that a coupe version soon appears.
    i heard that this was the base for maserati 4200 GT/GranSport successor, took over by ferrari
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    i heard that this was the base for maserati 4200 GT/GranSport successor, took over by ferrari
    I heard that was what it started as but by the time Ferrari got done it was so much more.

The more I look at the front the more I like it. In my mind the coupe is called the Tour de France.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But being a folding hardtop then maybe not much of a point?
    A retractable hardtop is heavy and greatly effects the balance of the car.

Well, according to Leftlane News:

Interestingly enough, the new Ferrari model actually started out life as a Maserati, according to our sources. The new model was developed under the codename M139 — M for Maserati — and was intended to complete Maserati's current lineup — giving the Italian Marque the Quattroporte sports sedan, the GranTurismo coupe and a hardtop convertible. But after Ferrari's 2005 split from Maserati, Ferrari decided to keep the M139 program entirely for itself. As a result, the California rides on the GranTurismo platform.
    Does that shed any light?
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

That is one of the bst looking cars to come from Ferrari in recent years IMO
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man..." Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by KonaGreen View Post

However as I understand it's had so modifications and advancements that it really isn't the same platform.

Wheels are not big enough. Car looks distinctly average as many Ferrari's have recently...last really nice looking Ferrari was 456gt. What a car.

4.3L V8, 460BHP, less than the F430 - like to know how it compares in terms of performance. My guess it will be slower. I suppose the weight of this car is going to influence whether it will be quicker. Double clutch - are they also going to provide this car with the F1 gear box as well ? Like to know what it looks like with the roof closed. I think I'll have to wait to get most of these answers.

i said there won't be a coupe because there isn't such a project right now, and they use to develop a new version of an existing car in something like 2 years and 4 for a new model. up to now they are working on the 142 (next "430", in a few months the "mulottipo", new chassis/powertrain with an old body like 360 or 430, will begin testing) the upgrade of the 599, 141M, and the new 612, i don't remeber the code maybe 139, which is going to begin testing next year, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    it was the cabrio-coupe version of the Graturismo, but they used the car as a sort of inspiration, they changed everything.

I heard that was what it started as but by the time Ferrari got done it was so much more.
    the project became completely a new one since they converted the chassis from steel to aluminium, with totally new dimensions and weights.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaGreen View Post

well, they are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by capone View Post
    4.3L V8, 460BHP, less than the F430 - like to know how it compares in terms of performance. My guess it will be slower. I suppose the weight of this car is going to influence whether it will be quicker. Double clutch - are they also going to provide this car with the F1 gear box as well ? Like to know what it looks like with the roof closed. I think I'll have to wait to get most of these answers.
    the car is slower than a 430 mainly because of two reason:
    - it use a multilink system for front suspensions, in order to be more comfortable (not a sofa though)
    - it weights something near the 599.
    btw, during the tests they discovered the car was far more drivable and faster than what they expected.

i know these facts since my tenant works at ferrari as a minor designer, as i already said somewhere in the forum. sometimes he "passed" me some wrong infos (he is quite confusing sometimes...) but these are sure!

ah, so far, the car will not use the F1 gearbox. IIRC.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 05-14-2008 at 06:20 AM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

ah, so far, the car will not use the F1 gearbox. IIRC.
    But will it have a proper manual option?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But will it have a proper manual option?
    neither. it would be a sort of contradiction, a more comfy car with the gearbox for "true drivers"...but it will be better for the car since the DSG in heavier and bigger.
    AFAIK the F1 and the Manual are exactly the same gearbox excepts for the automatisms of the F1. so if they would use one, they will use both.
    i'll try to get some more infos...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

neither. it would be a sort of contradiction, a more comfy car with the gearbox for "true drivers"...but it will be better for the car since the DSG in heavier and bigger.
    AFAIK the F1 and the Manual are exactly the same gearbox excepts for the automatisms of the F1. so if they would use one, they will use both.
    I officially hate this car...
    Visca Catalunya!

You are correct. They did adjust the clutches for a little stiffer shift.

Also the clutches are said to last along time.

Thread Information