Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAF 555 Group 6 1969-1970

DAF 555 Group 6 1969-1970

Apparently a Group 6 racer built by the Dutch manufacturer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Always loved the soudn of the variomatic. Car going faster, revs staying at peak

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXbZzk1ke8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXbZzk1ke8[/ame]
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Is it similar to a powerglide, or CVT?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

CVT with sprung counterweights. DAF were the first to use it in a production car, and did exclusively. Odd, effective.... love the sound.

DAF passenger cars
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Is that the one that acted as an LSD a little too effectively? Tended to go straight when icy, yea?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I dunno. But that sounds possible considering the equal torque applied by the belts.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AzqtomwD0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AzqtomwD0[/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

About time that more DAFs showed up on this page, since after all, DAF was the most successful Dutch based car maker and basically invented the CVT gearbox.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

two shots of the Huron 4A, a 2-Litre sportscar of which two were fitted with the CVT. This car is now owned by a son of the Huib van Doorne, the inventor of the CVT (Doorne is the D in DAF). It has been restore by Simon Hadfield and was presented during the 2010 Goodwood Festival of Speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Is this the same Daf as Daf Trucks?

Cool stuff, but looks like that CVT is a lot of maintenance.

4 sliding V-drive pulleys and two belts.
    Not really that much more ... and certainly not with modern materials
    Does look it though, but that's because it's a gearbox turned inside out .... inside a gearbox is even more complex looking
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Is this the same Daf as Daf Trucks?

Cool stuff, but looks like that CVT is a lot of maintenance.
    yes, it is, it went bust in the nineties and is now owned by Paccar from the US. The production of cars had already been taken over by Volvo several years before.
    DAF stands for (van) Doorne Automobiel Fabriek.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    two shots of the Huron 4A, a 2-Litre sportscar of which two were fitted with the CVT. This car is now owned by a son of the Huib van Doorne, the inventor of the CVT (Doorne is the D in DAF). It has been restore by Simon Hadfield and was presented during the 2010 Goodwood Festival of Speed.
    Was the gearbox susceptible to getting damaged? I feel like it's right out in the open without much protection.

Not a huge risk as the belt will take the punishment of any dirt/dust that manage to get near the surfaces which is unlikely anyway as it's spinning pretty quickly so creates it's own terminal layer The important bits of the counterweights, springs and adjustment is internal to the cones.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Not a huge risk as the belt will take the punishment of any dirt/dust that manage to get near the surfaces which is unlikely anyway as it's spinning pretty quickly so creates it's own terminal layer The important bits of the counterweights, springs and adjustment is internal to the cones.
    I forgot I posted in this thread, but thanks for the information. This is a very interesting system. It is unique, but I don't know that I could give up the sounds of shifting.

Funny you say that. but that's exactly what modern designers did with their CVT
    In theory when you accelerate a CVT the engine shoudl immediately rev to it's highest torque output and then the CVT varies as the car accelerates always keeping the engine revs the same.
    Turns out folks didn't like it and didn't think the car accelerated as quickly.
    Of course it did, in fact better.
    BUT they then added "shift points", so the cvt would let the engine operate in a rev band and "hold" the continuous variation so that it would then introduce step changes.
    Thus making it "feel" like a traditional engine and gearbox.
    The stupid point is that then meant most of the advantage of a cvt disappeared !

My solution woudl have been to jave given the custoemr the option of either turnign the radio up loud or having engine and gear change SOUNDS to keep them happy

Thread Information