Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: The Corvette C6 Z06

Discussion: The Corvette C6 Z06

So, we all thought it was going to beat everything and whatever, very different degrees of how good or bad or whatever we thought it would be.

For those who thought it would be awesome, I among them, we aren't completely dissapointed, but it came out....and well, that is all that happened. Well, I for one, am utterly dissapointed in this car. Corvettes are meant to be drivable, so that anyone can reap the benefits, but were still, by those elite few, able to become a beast on the tracks pulling several seconds ahead of the other Corvette drivers. However, I feel that the new Z06 is too drivable, which is NOT a bad thing...but it definitely is not good in my view. Ok, yes, it means that for those who are not exactly the best drivers, can now have a car to buy and take around the track really well. But 1) it makes it much harder to be noticed among the crowd of other C6 Z06 drivers, but more importantly to me, 2) I feel like it kind of lost something, in being so easy to drive. For me, especially now on noticing this about the Z06, might be great, but its not the same "car and driver bond". What really appeals to me about certain cars, like the Lotus Elise, is that you really have to learn the car, and just know it and it's limits and capabilities like the back of your hand...I feel that is half the reason for buying a performance-oriented car, to have a car that is YOURS, that you know, and if your friend got in it, he could make it perform, but nowhere near as well as you, as YOU are the one that the car is "truthful" to. I feel like the Z06 doesn't have this, with such an effort by GM to make it usable by all. I haven't driven it, so I can not say this first hand, which is why I am making this thread: Discussion time.

Please respond, about how you agree, or disagree, whether you have no idea and are wondering yourself, or if you even have driven the Z06 or have some good sources saying different or the same. Just don't do any flaming, of any sort, I am really not in the mood - I just want to see other people's opinions.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

For me these changes are improvements which are making the Corvette and specifically the Z06 a real contender in the big leagues. The car is maturing. What they've learned at Le Mans and other competition with the C5 race cars has been incorporated into the C6. Kudos GM.

When 911s became faster it necessitated a better chassis to handle the extra power and speed, some complained that much of the mystique was gone. Maybe, having the tail come around with every poke of the gas or brake might be entertaining, but it isn't the fastest way around a corner. True, it takes less to go fast now but I'd make this trade with the knowledge that even at high speed there exists a margin for error.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

i'm not really disapointed.
    i like the looks but dont know what to expect from handling
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE
    (UCP'S biggest Zonda fan)

Stand up next to a mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand. Pick up all the peices make an island over there
    Jimi H...

I love it... It's a very hard car to improve upon IMHO...

car:great
    image that still lingers and is impossible to get rid of while driving the car: horrid
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I wouldn't talk about it easy to drive until I've actually driven it. My old drivers ed teacher that has been racing for 30+ years says that his 405hp Z06 is crazy, and how he can't imagine the car with another 100hp, I'd think about the easy to drive part twice. I like the car a lot, I hope to own one in the future.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

i dont see how its really easy to drive the Z06, in C/D they almost lost control of the Z06 and they reported that the viper was more solid feeling then the Z06, they were far more cautious with the Z06 through twisties then the Viper.

My fanboyness speaking: The Z06 pwns...

My logical side speaking: The Z06 pwns you all!

I haven't driven the Z06 either (damn it!!!) but I don't see how it being easy to drive can be a bad thing. I would translate easy to drive to = civilized, competent, predictable ect. All of which will make it faster on the track since the driver doesn't have to "fight" the car around the track and can concentrate on things as braking points, apexes and so on. Besides, aren't those points what we expect from modern performance cars today??
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by RJ 21
    My fanboyness speaking: The Z06 pwns...

My logical side speaking: The Z06 pwns you all!
    I don't think you have a logical side.

i'd prolly give a nut for such car, tis such a nice lookin, tire eating, kool car, just turn off traction control and drive like if there was no end.

i got to test drive a C6, it was fun, too bad they didn't have a C6 ZO6 at the place.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Arent you a viper fanboy?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    car:great
    image that still lingers and is impossible to get rid of while driving the car: horrid
    The image european car fanboys give it? The image only given because they are pissed that americans have built something that is faster than their almighty Porsche's and Ferrari's?

it dosent have the passion of the Ferrari, its not as techincally advanced as the Porsche

it uses leaf springs and old pushrod technology.
    Last edited by CSL; 11-11-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    I haven't driven the Z06 either (damn it!!!) but I don't see how it being easy to drive can be a bad thing. I would translate easy to drive to = civilized, competent, predictable ect. All of which will make it faster on the track since the driver doesn't have to "fight" the car around the track and can concentrate on things as braking points, apexes and so on. Besides, aren't those points what we expect from modern performance cars today??
    liken a car on track to a fighter plane.
    To be able to make fighter planes be agile enough then they have to make them very difficult to fly.
    Hence modern fighters are ll fly-by-wire because now even the best pilot in the world woudl struggle to keep one in level flight.

Cars on track are the same.
    To be able to pitch the rear end or dig the front or control under/over steer on power and brake and shift balance then you get a car which CAN be a little skittish feeling on ordinary roads.

You dont' "fight" a car on track, you "control" it.
    Making suspension "better" for road use often makes it less controllable on track. Making a car have traction control for example removes the drivers ability to steer with the throttle ant-dive suspensino even has drawbacks as it makes it hard to lighten the rear end to induce oversteer
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Just wait til Lingenfelter gets his hands on one. 0-60 record, here we come... again!

Thread Information