Thread: PWR to new Super Cheap Auto Racing Team

PWR to new Super Cheap Auto Racing Team

PWR announced today and what was widely expected ...

Leading Holden V8 Supercar team, PWR Racing, and automotive retail giant Super Cheap Auto have today announced the signing of a three-year naming-rights sponsorship, including an option to renew the deal at the end of the 2007 V8 Supercar Championship Series.

The team, to be known as Super Cheap Auto Racing, unveiled an exciting new livery for its Holden Commodore V8 Supercar at a function held at the Sydney Opera House and attended by Super Cheap Auto managing director Bob Thorn, PWR Racing director Mark Roworth and star drivers Greg Murphy and Paul Weel.

Super Cheap Auto also announced at the function that Australia’s most famous race, the Bathurst 1000, will be known as the Super Cheap Auto Bathurst 1000 from 2005 onwards.

The Super Cheap Auto link to PWR was established late in 2004 when Mr Thorn and Mr Roworth discussed the opportunity to join forces and create the new brand of Super Cheap Auto Racing.

Mr Thorn said the move was logical for Super Cheap Auto, which has been a sponsor of motorsport in both Australia and NZ for many years.

“We decided that the best way to move forward in V8 motorsport in 2005 was with a two-car team, and PWR Racing provided us with that opportunity,” he said. “Greg and Paul are gifted drivers who are passionate about V8 Supercars. They epitomise the best of the sport, and are well liked by motorsport enthusiasts across Australia and New Zealand who follow the V8 Supercar Series.

“We are delighted to be associated with them as Super Cheap Auto Racing makes its debut in 2005 as a two-car team.”

PWR Racing team principal Kees Weel, in the United States at the time of the announcement, said the deal was the most significant in the emerging team’s two-year history.

“This is a great step forward for a team which has been punching above its weight every step of the way so far,” he said.

“With the support of Super Cheap Auto we will finally be on a level playing field with our rivals. This is the final piece of the jigsaw for us after recruiting a four-time Bathurst winner in Greg Murphy to the team and moving into our new workshop during the off-season.

“We’re here to win a championship and now we’ve got everything we need to do exactly that.”

Mr Roworth said the chance to align the racing team with a sponsor which has demonstrated a long-term, significant commitment to motorsport was “a golden opportunity for us”.

“Super Cheap Auto is a household name in both Australia and New Zealand, and is an active supporter of motorsport in both countries,” he said.

“We’re absolutely delighted that ongoing product supply negotiations between one of our other backers, PWR Performance Products, and Super Cheap Auto started us thinking about how we could further strengthen that relationship.”

Mr Thorn said New Zealander Murphy’s arrival in an already well-performed team was icing on the cake for Super Cheap Auto, which is in the process of significantly expanding its New Zealand operations.

“Greg’s successful racing history on the tracks of New Zealand is well known, and we are certain his fans will applaud his move to Super Cheap Auto Racing,” he said. “It will be even more momentous when he races for us in New Zealand.”

courtesy of v8supercars.com.au

the new livery of the cars look good but definitely not a fan of the new suits

Hello fellow New Zealander! Welcome, we do not have many females round here, please do not be scared off by some of our more..........adventurous members

Super Cheap Auto is only a household name here cause of the dickhead in the ad in my opinion

IMO, "Super Cheap" isnt a good thing to have plastered all over your cars, although it fitted Steve Ellery to the nail considering he was a privateer

I gotta laugh though, i cant see it written there but somewhere else about the whole thing i saw it written that the team was expected to now be a regular top 10 runner pretty soon with SuperCheap signing. Well shit, i mean werent they already before? Jason Bright ONLY got them 3rd in the championship afterall
    I am the Stig

I think its pathetic, "welcome viewers to the 2005 super cheap 1000 ", wat a load of BS, it was good enuff wif Bob jane t mart, then they ruin it, for christs sake just call it bathurst, not super cheap auto. Oh btw, suprising that its turned from PWR to Super cheap auto, oh well, Ambrose and co. will deal wif them this year
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

yeah the 'super cheap' 100 kind of undermines bathurst makes it sound well cheap i agree just call it bathurst! and i think it would have been nicer to see the team stay named PWR, the new super cheap livery looks 200% better than what was on ellerys car but i think the suits r hideous

Could be worse, they could call it the Nads 1000
    Youll get the lot for less

See the website Classic HSV there
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I grabbed some pics for you

Anyone else notice from the headlights thats still a VY??

I think for them to call it the "Bathurst 1000", simple as that, the Bathurst council would have to provide all the money for it year in, year out. Whilst its always been a profitable event, you need money to make money and they dont really have that money in the first place, especially after splurging out $AUD4million to help the redevelopment of the pit complex
    I am the Stig

yer, y they keep the VY? faster, looks better? It looks ok, but, not being biased at all this time, the ford cars generally have the better paint and decal kits than the holdens, just my opinion.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Im not sure, they kept using the VX when they couldve had a VY and if it wasnt for the TWR shit stopping them from testing, they couldve contested the championship in 2003
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    yer, y they keep the VY? faster, looks better? It looks ok, but, not being biased at all this time, the ford cars generally have the better paint and decal kits than the holdens, just my opinion.
    Hey your right they should do the 04 awards again then

Thread Information