Thread: Toyota MR2 (W30) 1999-2007

Toyota MR2 (W30) 1999-2007

The third generation MR2 had three different names, depending on country; Toyota MR-S in Japan, Toyota MR2 Spyder in the US, and the Toyota MR2 Roadster in Europe. With the previous MR2 having been in the market for almost ten years, the newest MR2 took a drastically different approach than the outgoing model. The new MR2 was a part of Toyota Project Genesis, a plan to attract buyers from the younger age bracket in an effort to increase sales in the US. The most obvious change was the switch from a hardtop/open-roof option to a true convertible soft top, giving the car the 'Spyder' designation.

Many claim that this car was inspired by Porsche Boxster which was released in 1996, due to its similar appearance. However, the first prototype of MR-S appeared in 1997 at the Tokyo Motor Show, which had slightly more angled and rigid appearance than the current production model, which included additional curves for a more aerodynamic and appealing look. The MR2 Spyder chief engineer Harunori Shiratori said, "First, we wanted true driver enjoyment, blending good movement, low inertia and light weight. Then, a long wheelbase to achieve high stability and fresh new styling; a mid-engine design to create excellent handling and steering without the weight of the engine up front; a body structure as simple as possible to allow for easy customizing, and low cost to the consumer."

The only engine available for the ZZW30 was the all-aluminium 1ZZ-FED, a 1794 cc straight-4. Like its predecessors, the engine used dual overhead camshafts and 16 valves. The intake camshaft timing was adjustable via the VVT-i system, which was introduced earlier on the 1998 MR2 in some markets. Unlike its predecessors, however, the engine was placed onto the car the other way round, with the exhaust manifold towards the rear of the car instead of towards the front. The 138 hp (104 kW) maximum power was quite a drop from the previous generation, but thanks to the lightness of the car it could still move quite quickly, accelerating from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.8 to 8.7 s depending on the transmission option, the Sequential Manual being unable to launch and shift as quickly as the clutch operated manual. Curb weight was 2,195 pounds (996 kg) for manual transmission models.

In addition to the 5-speed manual transmission, a 5-speed or 6-speed Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT) was also available starting in 2002. SMT is standard feature in Australian market; however, air conditioning was optional. After 2003, a 6-speed SMT was an option. The SMT had no conventional H-pattern shift lever or clutch pedal. The driver could shift gears by tapping the shift lever forward or backward or by pressing steering-wheel mounted buttons. Clutch engagement is automatic, and the car will automatically shift to neutral when stopping. Cruise control was never offered with the manual transmission, but was standard for SMT cars.

The MR2 Spyder was also distinguished from most of its competition (including the Honda S2000, Mazda MX-5, and Porsche Boxster) by a standard-equipment heated glass rear window. At the time of its debut, most convertibles were still using a plastic rear window. A hard top was also available from Toyota in Japan and Europe, though it was expensive.

Toyota MR2

--------------
    Toyota MR-2 JGTC 1600x1200
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 03-22-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Toyota MR2 #15
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Toyota MR2 #16

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

never liked the last gen. but it's one of the few mid-engine "cheap" cars you can find
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 08-08-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

i always liked them. my buddy wrote one off after swerving to miss a deer in the road, and the back end got a bit squirrely. ended up sailing off into the woods at a rather high rate of speed.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i always liked them. my buddy wrote one off after swerving to miss a deer in the road, and the back end got a bit squirrely. ended up sailing off into the woods at a rather high rate of speed.
    he must have been scared shitless after that ordeal

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    he must have been scared shitless after that ordeal
    quite... he's still working on rebuilding it. it was a turbo, so rather scary fast.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

More pictures of the ZZW30?
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

ZZW30 (caps)
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Some more MR2 s

Just a like-able sports car

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    My greatest memory of one of these was when I was driving home late one night, maybe about midnight or 1am. I was stopped at a redlight, and opposite me was someone with one of these. Probably had his girlfriend in the car or something, so he decided to show off. He made a u-turn and dug into the go-pedal. Ended up misjudging quite a bit and swing the rear of the car pretty hard into the curb. He sat there for a minute before meekly driving off
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information