Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '67 Mustang - "The Trailer Queen"

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    what trophies did you already win with it? (See pic 1)
    Two best-in-classes from Mustangs Plus' "Mustang Displays" in Stockton, CA, People's Choice from Castroville, CA's Artichoke Festival car show, and one from an informal show at my Dad's work at IBM, which was won subsequent to when these photos were taken.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I also have a dark moss green '67. Like you, I get many comments about the color.

I bought the car in '96 and it took me 7 years to restore, being my first restoration and have three kids along the way. Just this week I ordered rocker moldings and rear deck molding to dress up the car. I am also considering adding the luggage rack.

I am a C code car rebuilt and bored 30 over. Originally the car was Burnt Amber with a black top. I do have the build sheet.

Your car looks great!
    JOHN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Wasn't rebuilt for speed. 160.3hp@4300rpm at the wheels.
    G8REngineer, compared to the above how many horses is it running?
    Last edited by #1 Mustang Fan; 04-13-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by G8REngineer View Post
    I also have a dark moss green '67. Like you, I get many comments about the color.

I bought the car in '96 and it took me 7 years to restore, being my first restoration and have three kids along the way. Just this week I ordered rocker moldings and rear deck molding to dress up the car. I am also considering adding the luggage rack.

I am a C code car rebuilt and bored 30 over. Originally the car was Burnt Amber with a black top. I do have the build sheet.

Your car looks great!
    JOHN
    Wow...I like yours a whole lot. That saddle interior looks great with the Dk. Moss Green. If ours hadn't originally been the Ivy Gold, I might have considered it seeing your pictures! I like the slashed GT tips on your exhaust, too. Like yours, this car was our first restoration, though my Dad had the luxury of being done with kidmaking by then

I have never had it tested. I am interested in getting some more power out of it though. I just sold a Corvette that I played with for about 12 months and I enjoyed the p/s, p/ and the fact that when I pushed the gas it gave a good kick in the rear.

I am strictly stock so I have no idea.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Wow...I like yours a whole lot. That saddle interior looks great with the Dk. Moss Green. If ours hadn't originally been the Ivy Gold, I might have considered it seeing your pictures! I like the slashed GT tips on your exhaust, too. Like yours, this car was our first restoration, though my Dad had the luxury of being done with kidmaking by then
    Thanks. Mine was originally Burnt Amber, black top, saddle interior. While disassembling it I saw a Mustang Monthly pictorial of a dark moss green/Saddle mustang that I fell in love with. Basically, I built the same car. I also have a saddle top on it which looks great too.

I like your two-tone seats and the darker panel with the doors. I feel my interior gets left looking a little bland.

John

Shameless bump for some beauty shots, new CarDomain, and a video.

CarDomain:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3318295

YouTube:
    YouTube - PushrodFantasies's Channel

looking slick..the car too.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Looks Great...

The car looks great. I am incentivized to go wash mine...
    J

See now I gotta go wash mine for the cruise-in Saturday. And get some new pics.

We had a guy in the club with a lime gold '67 vert with the 6G interior. At first it seemed a bit over the top, but I have to say it grew on me a lot.
    Turning money into memories.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    oh yeah... a classic 'Stang. nice stuff there!!!
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Thanks everyone now that you mention it, I have been needing to wash mine...

1. Is it practical?
    Yes; it has so far faithfully done everything I have ever asked of it, and so did my '68 from high school. It seats four, the front two with generously sized accomodations. The rear two much less so. I have fit five in my '68, the rear seat is a bit wider in non-convertibles since it doesn't have to store the top when it's down. If I had to nitpick, I'd say it's not big on storage space, though my aftermarket console helps a great deal. The trunk could be better laid out, not to mention a little bigger, but so far I have never actually needed any more space than the trunk has. It's done everything I have needed it to.

2. Is it economical?
    In a sense...it is getting around 17mpg now, great for a vehicle of its vintage and comparable to today's Mustangs on a commuting cycle. Parts are notably cheap (less than $50 for an alternator or starter), insurance isn't bad, and registration in California was 1/10th the cost of registering a brand new car (though it's roughly comparable here in Texas). Plus, it's simple and easy to work on yourself, or also probably cuts down on the labour cost even if you do have to bring it in to a mechanic.

3. Is it fun to drive?
    Depends...if you're up for a track day, take the Lotus. Still, the car has plenty of torque, sounds great with its dual exhaust and Cherry Bombs, and with a new stiffer and 1" lower suspension underneath, it handles acceptably well though with little grace; it is a car that responds exceptionally well to throttle steering, however. That new suspension, combined with the rebuilt steering box, means the car is extremely stable for such a flexy body and at 60 or 70mph needs little to no corrections to keep it on track; let go of the wheel and it tracks straight and narrow without you. More fun is the attention; if a day goes by when you don't get at least three comments on the car, something is gravely wrong. But the very most fun is dropping the top and going for a cruise, enjoying the sights, sounds, and even smells of what's going on around you, soaking up some rays, and feeling good about life; that part is more generally inherent to it being a convertible, though, than anything specific to this particular car or kind of car.

4. Will it break down all the time?
    Mixed bag. The '68 I had in high school was as bulletproof as they came, in three years it was literally just gas, oil, and whatever mods I wanted to make, so I know they can come with the utmost reliability. This particular one has been more trouble, though, and I can't figure out why. However, the only time it left me stranded was a situation of my own making, not so much the car's fault. If you were to push the power much, the stock 8" rear end would prove too weak as well. Still, I have made an 1100 mile round-trip drive in it and done the 600-mile round trip run to Oklahoma City multiple times, and in all cases the car ran like a top.

5. Is it easy to park?
    At first, its large turning radius makes it a bit of an experience to park; the car suddenly feels much larger than its dimensions and probably could be likened to a beached whale. But once you get used to where exactly the front bumper is (about 3 months when you drive it every day), it gets to be second nature. Just start the turn wide and use every inch of clearance you get at that front bumper. The pinky-finger light steering helps immensely here.

6. What if I go to a shopping center and get chased by baddies in a 'Vette?
    Hm. Can't outrun 'em...maybe I should start carrying a pistol. Then again, there is a cop in my local Mustang club, I could just call him up. At least I won't be suffocating in my own pretention like the 'Vette guys :P

7. Is it green?
    It's completely green, literally! Green paint AND interior :P other than that, NO, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

8. Can I afford it?
    The convertibles and fastbacks both command a premium, but it should be within reach for a lot of people. A basic V8 hardtop can be had for well under $10k, and while 17mpg isn't fantastic, it is acceptably decent and pretty comparable to a lot of minivans, smaller SUV's, and larger cars. As far as driving it, I make a little over minimum wage and even with a longish 30 minute drive to work I don't have any trouble affording it. And of course as mentioned above, the other costs of ownership are very low.

9. What if I'm asked to take part in a beach assault with the Royal Marines?
    Um, hmm...it'll make for a nice drive to the base, anyway. I wouldn't want to get the ocean salt on the bodywork! And in the sand it would just get caught. I can't think of much use a car like this would have to the Royal Marines.
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-10-2009 at 01:00 AM.

I see you added your "test."

Seems pretty much accurate to me. I like the part about the comments it gets.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

This car needs the front end rebuilt. Any takers? I pay in coffee, food, and maybe an occasional beer.

Thread Information