• yes

5 62.50%
  • no

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New racing and exotic based car club

New racing and exotic based car club

Hello fellow petrol heads,

I am working on building one of the most exciting car clubs imaginable in the United States. I am not advertising here, You can verify that by noticing I will not give out the car clubs name. I would like to know, however, before I spend too much money in this project, how many people who own expensive super cars would be interested. I come from a well versed background in racing and fine automobiles. I've had a passion for cars since I was about 3. I had a micromachine Lamborghini Countach, this was back in 1985, and yes I still love that car! So with that said lets move forward!

Here are some little bits about the car club...

unique member number id card*
    monthly cruise day (regulated by state representative)
    Track days (go to race tracks around the US and have fun for the day. track fees paid for by the car club)
    Annual rally circuit in location to be determined (all members welcome)
    Free anytime use of the members only private testing track (this is in production mode and i cannot release the circuit layout but trust me its really nice)

There are a few small hitches which is why I do not advertise this car club;
    for one, it is only for rare sport and exotic cars (around 2000 produced anually or less) for example if you had a stock corvette you would not qualify, however if you had a ZR1 come right in
    next the private test track is going to be fenced off with a security passworded gate, so only members will be allowed to use it and i don't want to give away the location (somewhere in the US)
    There is a small $5,000 fee which will give you a lifetime membership. (member fee will go to maintaining and progressing the test track along with paying for track day fees for all members.)
    members will be able to vote on how to spend the car club money.
    must be at least 25 years old.

There are much more options and privleges from being the car club, for one you will be in a unique driving club where you can hang out with other people who have a love for exotic cars and drive around on the test track and talk about your cars with them. The annual rallys will be set up in the gumball rally format. Although we cannot condone speeding since that is illeagle.

If you like this vote yes, if not vote no

Thanks for taking the time to read and feel free to give suggestions, because this is all about the members and if you think you might be a future member, lets hear what you got

*updated info
    Last edited by FastDriver; 04-28-2011 at 06:01 PM.

First, welcome to UCP.

These clubs are really common in Europe; are they not also common in the US?

Also, I would like to hear more about your well versed background in racing and fine automobiles.

If I were you I would focus on how the math a bit more:
    $5,000 x 100 members (which is a huge number considering the niche-ness of your idea) = $500,000 one-time payment? IS it a one-time payment? Because $500,000 won't cover diddly, especially for private test track maintenance, the on-call mechanic, the inevitable clubhouse, track days, the miscellaneous costs, salaries, etc etc.

I guess my question is, what will make your club different or more attractive than the other clubs like this that already exist?

ps: you did NOT just write "illeagle".
    pps: Micromachines FTW. Did it have the thermochromatic paintjob that changed colors when you washed in hot/cold water?

Is this not all the purpose of the various owner clubs of Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo and you name it?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

no, it did not have the thermochromatic paintjob, it actually was just a white lamborghini countach. sorry if my spelling is sub-par, i am not an English major. One of my many downfalls

Let me address some of your questions:

I will be putting mostly my own money into building the private test track. I will keep building it even if no one joins the car club, for my personal use, and for training my son, so he can someday be a good driver if he choses to race. The cost of the track is no problem.

The maintenance on the track will be done periodically, no on call mechanic. If the pavement breaks, then i will just have someone come fix it, no big deal. I will probably be doing the cleaning of the track myself and mowing of the grass myself as well. Its something to do on the weekends anyway

And again I really don't plan on having anyone on salaries. The car club will have a revolving credit line, as it goes, new people will join and old people will eventually die. keeping a continuous flow of funding. And look at it this way. If you have a track day, you wouldn't expect all 100 members to show up. maybe 1/4 would actually be able to all agree on a given day. This is how things go.

I used to race online Nascar Racing 2003 season for a few years, 6 hours a day. Then Rfactor. I had racing leagues on the sim comunity and from my experience it was rare that everyone would show up to a race, and those were schedualed, so you can imagine how it would be when people have to travel to get to a track. Since I am married now, i don't have time to mess about with all that online racing community, but I think the car club would be a good thing for us to do as a family.

I have a son who is only one year old now, Once I pass away he would be in charge of the car club, so Is a family thing.

As far as what will my my club different and more attractive, well what I am hoping is to have a car club with others who appreciate a proper sports car. There are lots of car clubs that let just anyone with a car join. I want this to be a more focused club. Exotic and rare sports cars. Driving them fast, the way they were meant to be driven on our own private test track. This is a free track for all members to use! And you will be sharing it with only the best cars, not someone in a mazda mx5 or a ford mustang. There are plenty of clubs out there for those cars.

If there was already a car club that had a track i could drive fast on anytime of the day any day i wanted, I would definitely pay the $5,000 to join. I haven't found one, so I am starting one on my own.

I fail to see what would be interesting or different in this club.
    There are already quite some of them with similar characteristics and even private tracks. Some of them offers other cars and racing/driving schools. The Ascari Race Resort comes to mind.

I agree with aiasib on the very low level of incomes. You should be more than an established name to have people getting there from other places, and it's difficult to think you'd have enough locals to decently cover the costs.
    Then again building a race track (seriously?) is such an expensive deal I don't even know why you should ask the 5.000 $ fee.

Not sure if a weekend would be enough for mowing the grass all around a race track. AND online/sim racing isn't racing background. I'd be a frigging rockstar by now. I know there are a few (one or two) exceptions, but that's it.
    At the same time I'm wondering how you earned so much money to build a race track while playing 6 hours a day.

Last but not least, piking up members only based on their cars wouldn't make it a better club. There are plenty of ***holes with expensive toys and even more true enthusiasts who can't afford anything more than an MX-5. As if it was a crappy car...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I fail to see what would be interesting or different in this club.
    There are already quite some of them with similar characteristics and even private tracks. Some of them offers other cars and racing/driving schools. The Ascari Race Resort comes to mind.

I agree with aiasib on the very low level of incomes. You should be more than an established name to have people getting there from other places, and it's difficult to think you'd have enough locals to decently cover the costs.
    Then again building a race track (seriously?) is such an expensive deal I don't even know why you should ask the 5.000 $ fee.

Not sure if a weekend would be enough for mowing the grass all around a race track. AND online/sim racing isn't racing background. I'd be a frigging rockstar by now. I know there are a few (one or two) exceptions, but that's it.
    At the same time I'm wondering how you earned so much money to build a race track while playing 6 hours a day.

Last but not least, piking up members only based on their cars wouldn't make it a better club. There are plenty of ***holes with expensive toys and even more true enthusiasts who can't afford anything more than an MX-5. As if it was a crappy car...
    can you give me some references to these other exotic car clubs that have private track, track days, monthly cruises and annual rally? I would like to check them out, it might help me get an idea of what people will think about my car club. Thanks for the input, very helpful

The reason I am making this club for exotic and rare cares only is because of the fact there are so many clubs out there that feature your run of the mill sports cars and roadsters. To me it is not that exciting seeing a car club with cars you see on a daily basis to begin with. Think about a cruz day, with nothing but rare and exotic cars rolling down your block. Now that is something to see. but a bunch of 2011 mustangs, camaros and challengers rolling down the street is boring. I see like 20 of those a day...

This is definately not the right club for everyone, but then again, that is the whole point. I want a club with people who enjoy the same type of cars as me. I love exotics and rare classic cars. If its not something you are really into, there are lots of mustang/corvett/mx-5/Vauxhall Astra clubs that plenty of people enjoy being a part of. And that is great, if that gets your rocks off. But this is what I am into, variety and unique high performance automobiles. I am just trying to make something no one else has made yet. Ive done the math, the $5,000 one time fee is very reasonable, and more than enough.
    Last edited by FastDriver; 04-29-2011 at 10:51 AM.

It actually came to mind something called Sunday Morning Drive.

It happens, I guessed it, every Sunday Morning in HK. Plenty of exotic owners show up with their cars. And it's free.
    Then every now and then local exotic dealer SPS organizes track events. Same is done by a Chinese dealer, FFF.

As I said, the Ascari Race Resort is already a reference, also for car companies when they need a track for reviews or photoshoots.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Is this not all the purpose of the various owner clubs of Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo and you name it?
    Im sure Europe has lots of great car clubs, I haven't found anything like what I am trying to do here in America, but I think it will be fun, and I am not going to try to convince people that they should join me. I have friends that already want to join and if its just a small croud of 10 or 20 outstanding fellows then thats good enough for me.

I'm still wondering on the financial side of this business.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    And you will be sharing it with only the best cars, not someone in a mazda mx5 or a ford mustang.
    What's wrong with an MX-5?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's not a diesel econobox, that's what.

I'm still wondering on the financial side of this business.
    That is my job. I majored in math and physics and took business classes in college, I think I can handle that part of it

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    nothing at all wrong with an mx-5 its a spectacular automobile, it just isn't very rare and there-fore not the type of car for this club. but if you want to join a mazda club, there are more than plenty to go around

It actually came to mind something called Sunday Morning Drive.

It happens, I guessed it, every Sunday Morning in HK. Plenty of exotic owners show up with their cars. And it's free.
    Then every now and then local exotic dealer SPS organizes track events. Same is done by a Chinese dealer, FFF.

As I said, the Ascari Race Resort is already a reference, also for car companies when they need a track for reviews or photoshoots.
    sorry i missed your post. There is one small problem though. I live in America. Quite a trip from China

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    sorry i missed your post. There is one small problem though. I live in America. Quite a trip from China
    There is something like that in Irvine, California.
    Pretty sure there are others.

My point about the financial side of the business is that building a race track is not something you can do with spare coins, and I'm afraid there is no degree capable of granting the necessary funds as a given fact.

So what I'm playing is that you're either already disgustingly rich or just long term dreaming.

two words kill the idea I'm afraid ... "Personal liability"

Getting insurance to cover the track will be horrendously expensive and will be required to meet stringent safety. ie run-off areas, barriers, separation of driving from spectating and a million other things.

Dont think you've gone over the math enough. If $5K is a lifetime and free to use then you require new members ona regular basis to pay for upkeep, operations, medical cover, insurance etc etc. BUT if you attract more members then by definiation there is then less track time availabel for members. It's a self defeating financial model. The more it attracts the less attractive it is to join

Also, what size of track are you thinking of ? How wide, how long ?
    Owners of exotics dont go to short (<1mile) tracks and not happy if less than 30 ft wide AND performance grade tarmac, with suitable subconstruction. eg an Evo on sticky ribber can tear up the tarmac and cause rippling in braking zones. These aren't things that are "patchable" and require complete removal, regrading and relaying

Also, I'd strongly suggest not building a track to teach on, he will learn more by driving more different circuits. One circuit leads to a limited skillset Spend the money on travelling to as many ciruits as possible and if planning a race career as soon as possible get him racing in karts ( ie 8 years old ). THEN there is a chance to grow the skill set in time to take advantage in the pinnacle of motorsport.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-29-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information