Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi 380 VRX Road Test

the new camry looks heaps different, i like the front, looks slightly mean without going overboard, and the back looks like the old 3 series beemer. its gonna be fairly basic in the performance dept, i wouldnt buy one but id like to see a few around.

as for the VE, i hear people hyping it, i cant see it being a major leap forward... but maybe ive missed some news

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    They got that front from a Honda Civic, they did.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    there's gonna be a huge difference. Its going to look a lot different, have proper IRS (Multi link) in 2 specs and be a lot bigger
    Yes the technical difference will be phenominal...the suspension will have 5 links i hear...that surpasses even BMW...!!!...What i was trying to say is that there wont be the kind of VISUAL difference there was between VS and VT.

I still doubt that the VE commodore will be the revolution that denny mooney raves on about...theres been so much interference with the program, with the 'will it or will it not be worldwide'..one minute GM is all in on development, the next they are scrapping the program in favour of SUVs, then fourth quarter 2005 it suddenly pops back on the agenda. Then theres all the other various problems that GMs had..im sure its affected the VE program in SOME kind of way...

But then again, its the first time tat holden has been able to completely design a car of theirs from the ground up. They have a history of turning mediokre opel architectures into masterpeices, so i have no doubt that it will be brilliant. Theres also another thing to consider...theyve spent nearly 1 BILLION dorrahs on it!! Then again the AU cost 700 million..so we could all be in for a surprise
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by thatdbeme
    as for the VE, i hear people hyping it, i cant see it being a major leap forward... but maybe ive missed some news
    lol maybe u have...the VE will be a major leap forward over the current commodore. It will vastly improve in every area. It will be a revolution for the australian large sedan, but how revolutionary is the question.

If u spend a billion dollars developing a car, there will be hype!!
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    theyve spent nearly 1 BILLION dorrahs on it!! Then again the AU cost 700 million..so we could all be in for a surprise
    i can go and spend $5000 on a genuine bodyit for my car or get a $600 knockoff... either way theyre going to do the same thing and look the same.

You dont HAVE to spend mega dollars to develop a car. Look at the 380. mega dollars not there but they still delivered a great car.
    The Datto will rage again...

We'll have to wait until August to see whether the VE will match the hype surrounding it. In fact, with so much hype, it may be a disappointment once you get in the drivers seat and turn the key.
    Once its released and appears on the Avis (or some other rental fleet) books, I'll take a VE for a long drive and see.
    Hopefully, it will be good, but we certainly can't know that until August 2006.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

True, everyone would expect it be a better car, but i doubt a revolution, to be a revolution it needs something to wow people, extreme weight loss, or massively better engine or gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    We'll have to wait until August to see whether the VE will match the hype surrounding it. In fact, with so much hype, it may be a disappointment once you get in the drivers seat and turn the key.
    Once its released and appears on the Avis (or some other rental fleet) books, I'll take a VE for a long drive and see.
    Hopefully, it will be good, but we certainly can't know that until August 2006.

did you see the latest pics in motor? hmm ok even though i love ford, i do respect the commodore, HOWEVER, the VE in this case, i think it is fugly. Seeing past the checkered tape i still think the shape is boring and un-original. Sorry holden, this much money and it looks as boring as martha stewart's face.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    You dont HAVE to spend mega dollars to develop a car. Look at the 380. mega dollars not there but they still delivered a great car.
    Holden is developing the architecture though. Thats the huge difference. Mitsu already had the architecture, they took it from the US. All they had to do was Australianise it.

The AU cost 700 million, including the architecture program. So a big chunk of the 700 mill goes through to the BA/BF.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by thatdbeme
    True, everyone would expect it be a better car, but i doubt a revolution, to be a revolution it needs something to wow people, extreme weight loss, or massively better engine or gearbox
    Trust me the VE will wow people. It will have the same engine. Thats not a bad thing. It will have an upgraded gearbox, infact it will be the EXACT same 6 speed auto from ZF that Ford uses in their BF Falcon.

Did you see the latest pics in motor? hmm ok even though i love ford, i do respect the commodore, HOWEVER, the VE in this case, i think it is fugly. Seeing past the checkered tape i still think the shape is boring and un-original. Sorry holden, this much money and it looks as boring as martha stewart's face.
    I dont think the car can be aesthetically judged yet. You cant jusge it from behind the tape lol...

I do agree at this stage it looks bland, with the same shape lights as the VS and nothing really 'wow' about it. But i think once the tape comes off itll look alot better. Just look at the huge front wheel arches...they make it look agressive. Im sure if you saw an audi A6 behind the tape it wouldnt look like a star, but once the tape comes off its a different story. Simple clean cut lines can work really well.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Found these figures while searching for recent Ford development costs, not including facelifts

EA $800 million
    AU $800 million (govt site*)
    BA $500 million
    Territory $500 million

*btw AU program's model life was initally planned to be 5-6 years

Holden's V6 gets knocked about a bit, But in the VE you will have nothing to knock, It will be very quite and have a upgrade it will be something different.
    The whole drive and feel of the car will amaze people this is a real fully independent suspension here lets not forget.
    The new 6.0lt has come without all it's goodies to be saved for the VE.
    It will be a larger inside car and more safer then ever before, It's body alone will will be stronger more modern better aerodynamics and better put together then any other Australian built car.
    Next lets not forget what a great car the VT has been over the years to what it is now the VZ. It will be a great car to buy in 2-3 years time. But the VE will cream it, You don't spend that much money to come out with something that's only better then a BA and matches a BF, no way you would fail, You need to go one better because the next new Ford will trump the BA-BF's.
    In design i can't think of many if any that didn't like the look of the torana Concept, Holden showed us what they where bringing with the SSX and Torana concepts. And they were loved straight away.
    The cost are so high because they have been testing it for so many years now to get it right.

ADRENALINE I'll show you what VR-VS taillights look like

But getting back to the 380, I really respect what mitsub did with the suspension making it a little stiffer and tuffer for the Australian conditions, To many have laid claims to making cars for us for our conditions, Such as the Avalon with it's big soft U.S suspension.
    The 380 really isn't what it would have been if they just imported it in, And that is soft. It's tuff i like it.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    did you see the latest pics in motor? hmm ok even though i love ford, i do respect the commodore, HOWEVER, the VE in this case, i think it is fugly. Seeing past the checkered tape i still think the shape is boring and un-original. Sorry holden, this much money and it looks as boring as martha stewart's face.
    Yes, I saw those and the pictures in Wheels December 2005 as well. Hard to tell with the disguise - I'll reserve judgement till I see on in the flesh.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Trust me the VE will wow people. It will have the same engine. Thats not a bad thing. It will have an upgraded gearbox, infact it will be the EXACT same 6 speed auto from ZF that Ford uses in their BF Falcon.

It may wow people. The only people who know for sure how good it is at the moment are Holden engineers - and they're biased. The rest will have to wait. Until August, its all speculation as to how good it will be. The suspension and gearbox refinements lead me to hope it will be great...but I'm not going to say it is until its released, I've seen the write ups and then had a chance to drive it.

One could say that Holden are inexperienced when it comes to developing the architectures...its their first time right? Ford Oz develops all thier own falcon architectures, so their experience might give them the edge in 2007 with the orion falcon...

Lets dig back up those pictures....

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...5&d=1132920946

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...6&d=1132920946
    Last edited by adrenaline; 01-19-2006 at 05:01 PM.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thread Information