Thread: Easy cars to mod/high hp for low cost :)?!

Easy cars to mod/high hp for low cost :)?!

Hi all, i've been wanting to get a Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 91-99, didnt really matter to me what year, and i was going to get it next month or by next month, but i called the auto insurance agency ... and to have a VR4 would cost very close to $4k a year ... so i cant get a Mitsu 3kgt Vr4 TT 300hp-320hp, not even a plain old 3000gt, since it was only $100 less per year than the vr4 ! I have to start looking into other, cheaper cars. Cars that i can get high hp for low cost. My goal is to reach the 400hp mark for the summer. I hear eclipses are easy + cheap to mod. Any other cars out there? 2nd gen rx7's? Honda Preludes? Anything? My price range for a car is $8k, but if i buy a car for cheap, say $4k, i'll have $4k left over for modding thx

Thumbs up

Vw Gti
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Toyota MR2? Mitsubishi Galant VR-4?

A Honda Prelude or an Eclipse seem like the best ideas to me though..
    Last edited by Spastik_Roach; 03-15-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Turbo
    Vw Gti
    Yes Yes, totally agreed

Many times it's been shown that an old Fox-body Mustang (Eighties-ish) is essentially the most ideal starting point for huge cost-to-horsepower value. The one with the 5.0

yea if you could get your hands on a late 80's mustang GT you could get to 400hp very easily and cheap, but if your hell bent on a japanese car a 1st gen mitsubishi eclipse/plymoth laser/eagle talon would be the cheapest, quick and painless ~400hp car, the engine and drivetrain can handle it all you have to worry about is the fuel system, ecu, turbo and intake exhaust factors, you could pick one up for about $2-3k and you might not be able to make it to 400hp with $5k but youll be able to make it perform and handle better than about anything on the road, with less than $1000 invested you could easily get into the mid-low 13's and you have the option of buying the awd model in a sea of fwd "sportscars". another option with a higher starting cost would be a 2nd generation mr2 you'd be paying close to $8k for it but i can handle 400hp easily too but most likely its out of your price range in terms of your goal. hands down if you want a fast import for cheap lok no further than a DSM
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

whats an approximate weight for a fox bodied mustang? i keep hearing people like NoOne talk about how easy they aer to go fast, i believe he had a 400hp version doing 11 seconds once, and compared to an XR6T that does 10.98 with 400kw at the rear wheels, the fox mustangs must weigh next to nothing
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    whats an approximate weight for a fox bodied mustang? i keep hearing people like NoOne talk about how easy they aer to go fast, i believe he had a 400hp version doing 11 seconds once, and compared to an XR6T that does 10.98 with 400kw at the rear wheels, the fox mustangs must weigh next to nothing
    Mustangs weigh between 3350-3450 lbs, my '94 weighed just over 3400 lbs ('glass hood and fenders compensate for the added weight of the 8 point cage and frame connectors).

Why won't they import the XR6T here??? ....would be a helluva ride.

Well i was expecting them to be a bit lighter with the times people seem to pull with them but still more often then not weight is sacrificed for luxury items.

So far supply and demand is stopping the Falcon range being exported from the Broadmeadows plant in Victoria. The demand being too great just for here and New Zealand, expecially the XR6T, and the supply not being able to keep up (waiting lists of up to 4 months are in place for the XR6T and theres hardly any demonstrator models). Supply could quite easily be ramped up though, the plant is currently only on 1 shift compared to the 3 shifts Holden's plant does, and every 51 or so seconds a car comes off the line. Ford Australia are fairly keen on keeping the Falcon produced in Australia only though, after the USA got the Monaro as the GTO and Bob Lutz got the team at GM redesigning it for the American market, no-one seems to be happy about the styling and the USA getting a more powerful engine as well as the better rear diff so Ford Australia are coy about letting an American design team in. I'm not sure either whether the recently acquired FTA after Iraq would expand to Canada as well.....it would be a pitty if the USA could reap the benefits and Canada were given the cold shoulder
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Toyota MR2? Mitsubishi Galant VR-4?

A Honda Prelude or an Eclipse seem like the best ideas to me though..

i agree with a turbo mr2, galant vr4 and the easiest/cheapest might be the eclipse. the only problem is you have only eight grand. the vr4 would be nice, i dont know where u live, but here its hard to find one, let alone a nice one. if you wanna get to 400hp on that eight grand you need to find one of these cars dirt cheap, or even with a blown engine. i think sticking with a stocked turbo would be the best place to start.

Like hot hatches? Then get this car.

343 4v engine, should push 400hp easily the way it is. Thing probably weighs less than the spoiler on a vr4, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6783

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Many times it's been shown that an old Fox-body Mustang (Eighties-ish) is essentially the most ideal starting point for huge cost-to-horsepower value. The one with the 5.0
    early niteyish as well...its should be fairly easy to get power from a 302 windsor in america all considering parts would be as common as opions and quite cheap too if you find the right ones or go to swap meets...
    And for those lazy chappies with no mechanical apptitude or how are just lazy (now im lazy but still shudder at the thought) a crate engine...usually with varying degree of prices and power out puts and not to mention practicality...but also come with warrenty. Its an idea but id rather kick myself then go that route personally.
    And then there the good thing of a relativly low purchase price for the car itself...

Thread Information