Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So you can afford a Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    I'm loving this Aussie swamp kid. Where can we get more like him?
    I'm working on it as we speak.

It's not just exotics that cost a bundle - my E30 318i requires more servicing than i Paid for it it's made me a very unhappy panda.

when i could have had a corolla and treated it like dirt and it cost me nothing.......but then taking her out for a drive on a winding road it brings a huge smile to my face - i think it's all worth it.

No doubt Ferrari owners are much the same.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I think it's pretty damn sad that Ferrari even dares to ask that kind of money. Sure it's an exotic and I can understand a certain premium. But come on, those prices are beyond acceptable.
    Now I know, if I ever have enough money to buy one I won't do it . I'll get me a Cayman S with an LSD.
    I knew ferrari service was expensive but not THAT expensive.

"seat control switch and wiper blades at $1,366.43." <-- That one really made me lol. That's about 1300$ over the acceptable cost.

Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    to qoute a someone who fixes ferrari's: "the clamps sent from ferrari displayed a level of workmanship i'd expect from a first year apprentice car mechanic. i proceeded to make my own"
    clutch-monkey, that's interesting information. I wonder if car parts sent to Ferrari owners by Ferrari are either made in Italy or Made in China just like nearly every other product.

I read a story about a Porsche Cayenne Turbo owner who was very angry because Porsche sent him a certain car part (I can't remember what it was) and this particular car part was Made in China. He thought the part should have been Made in Germany.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

For your information, Thomas Magnum "only" had a 308.

Owning a ratty old 308 that hits on all eight cylinders, however briefly, is on on my life's "to do" list.

To accomplish this goal, I will strive to work hard and keep my head up and my feet on the ground. By doing this, and using plenty of perseverance in times of trouble, I will accomplish my life's goal of owning a Ferrari by overcoming obstacles and dealing with problems by using my perseverance to find a solution and you can too.
    Sell the STI and whore yourself out. Getting a promotion might help.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

If you can afford one ......

The way I see it is that people don't think ahead. Yes, we can all work like slaves and save and save and save until we have enough to buy one but people under estimate the running costs. I agree with most people that these costs are outrageous but it is not just Ferraris. In my country, running a Porsche, BMW or Merc is expensive and some of the parts are just as expensive as Ferrari parts "relatively speaking".

A new F430 F1 in my country "on the road" will cost you $500,000 ($370,000 US). If you can afford that then you should be able to afford the running costs. If you can't then don't get "sucked in" in buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by capone
    A new F430 F1 in my country "on the road" will cost you $500,000 ($370,000 US). If you can afford that then you should be able to afford the running costs. If you can't then don't get "sucked in" in buying one.

As a patriotic American, I have to assume you're a big terrorist since you don't name your country.
    I'm erudite ;-)

So should I call the FBI and FEMA?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    So should I call the FBI and FEMA?
    Yeah because they'll help.

Yep. All we need is a narcissistic guy running the show and a several soldiers with guns.

I'll buy 6.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

So you assume I'm a ist....

As a patriotic American, I have to assume you're a big ist since you don't name your country.
    You can assume anything you want, but I don't have to assume that you are an uneducated, ignorant American di#k head. By the way, we shoot Quail in my country.

It was humour, calm down.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by capone
    You can assume anything you want, but I don't have to assume that you are an uneducated, ignorant American di#k head. By the way, we shoot Quail in my country.
    He can read and write so I'm thinking he is educated. Ignorant possibly I don't know him, but the fact that you just lashed out at him shows you're inability to control you're own anger and all in all is it really going to do anything attacking him from behind a computer screen? Calm down, they're just words.

As a patriotic American, I have to assume you're a big terrorist since you don't name your country.
    i think he's from australia, that price looks about right.
    oh, and he is completely wrong about the running costs of a porsche. and if you buy a BMW or a merc, i guess that's your own fault and you deserve what's coming to you
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Avoid dealers and DOY whenever possible

I spent about 3 hours last weekend replacing the radiator in my '95 BMW M3. I paid $225 for the OEM part including shipping. The dealer gets about $800 for the same job, partly because they charge $450 for the part.

So I worked 3 hours to save $600 = $200 per hour, no taxes due. To have $600 in my pocket I have to earn about $1000. Very few people earn $330 per hour.

In the description Michael gives you can't help but wonder why this car had so many coolant leaks and how big the "oil leaks" were. Does it make sense to do a few thousand dollars work to fix a "one drop per day onto the garage floor" oil leak? Italian cars leak a bit of oil. If you want a hermetically sealed engine, buy a Toyota or Honda.

Much of this work probably didn't really need to be done at all, and if the owners had had any common sense or knowledge of cars it wouldn't have been done.

If the owners had been real enthusiasts and had some knowledge of how to work on cars themselves, they could have done almost all of the non-covered stuff themselves, saving a ton.

Thread Information