Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No more playing games: Territory finally launched

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Hows your new job at Ford going anyhow?

what did i miss??

well theyre all valid points you've brought up, until now also different taxes have made importers think twice about importing RWD equivalents of American cars like the Explorer and Cherokee and i think you can even get a RWD Landcruiser in the states, so people looking for an image car to seat enough people had to pay extra for 4x4
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    what did i miss??
    One of my typically lame attempts at humour. I meant you did a good PR job.
    Looking at the pics, it does seem to look a little too people moverish. Hopefully it will look better in the flesh.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

well its not entirely your fault it backfired, at school im reknowned for killing jokes by either trying to explain them excessively, or when theyre pulled on me ask them to be explained........

well most people who have seen the Territory claim it looks better in the flesh. i'd say it looks liek you said it did with the combination of low ride height and tall body. maybe more than those who want to take them a bit further than others will be optioning the extra ride height package to get around this visual problem
    I am the Stig

Drive.com.au Territory review

Ford pushes into new Territory
    By Toby Hagon
    The Age
    Thursday April 22 2004

At its New Zealand launch, Toby Hagon explores a key component of Ford's Australian future -- and finds the much-heralded 2WD/AWD is competent but relatively heavy and thirsty.

Meet Ford's two-tonne family car, which is not a four-wheel-drive. The Ford Territory looks acceptably stylish and deceptively compact, as far as 4WDs go, and the Falcon-based wagon packs a weighty punch, making it the biggest thing to come out of the company's Broadmeadows assembly line -- in more than one way.

Every Territory model weighs more than two tonnes (some nearly 2.2 tonnes), heavier than standard family cars by hundreds of kilograms. Even so, it is shorter than a Falcon.

Ford insists it's on to a winner and predicts the Territory will outsell the likes of Toyota's LandCruiser and Honda's CR-V by two to one.

Just like its main rival, the Toyota Kluger, the Ford Territory is aimed at finding middle ground between a wagon, people mover and 4WD, in one family-friendly package. But Ford insists the Territory is not a 4WD but an all-wheel-drive (AWD), the subtle difference indicating its light-duty off-road capabilities.

advertisement

advertisement
    The Territory is the first off-roader to be offered as a two-wheel-drive model, in an effort to broaden its appeal and give buyers that all-important off-road image -- complete with an upright seating position -- but without the added cost and weight of 4WD equipment.

That's turned into the $4000 question -- the price of the AWD system -- which Ford is predicting 60 percent of buyers will choose.

Speaking of money, the Territory AWD uses a claimed 13.5 L/100km of fuel, which is more than some V8s. Even as a 2WD its fuel consumption is above that of most passenger cars, at a claimed 13.1 L/100km, according to government figures.

Fuel costs aside, value is a big part of the Territory sales pitch. The entry-level TX -- as a 2WD -- sells for $38,990, including air-conditioning, power windows, remote locking, dual airbags and anti-lock brakes. Ford sees it as a viable alternative to existing wagons such as the Commodore and Falcon. Notable omissions include cruise control and side airbags, the latter being an $800 option.

The top-of-the-range Ghia sells from $49,290 and comes with such extras as alloy wheels, leather trim, foglights, cruise control, side airbags and reverse parking sensors.

Arriving in September is a mid-spec TS model, priced from $44,790, which includes things such as cruise control and side airbags.

Ford claims the Territory is a car designed in Australia, by Australians, for Australians. That the media launch was held in New Zealand appears illogical, although the company claims the diversity of roads and availability of snow was a determining factor.

The Territory was tested mostly in Australia and is part of a $500 million investment. It is "one of the most important new models" in the company's history, according to recently appointed president Tom Gorman. Witness the dozen media launches outlining everything from cupholders to the specifically designed tyres over the past two years.

To say Ford Australia is desperate to see the Territory a success is an understatement. From its June 1 on-sale date, Ford wants to sell more than 2000 Territorys a month, making it the best-selling off-roader.

Inside is a very Falcon theme, the dash a lightly redesigned version of the Falcon's, and the main controls very much part of the Ford family. The front seats offer a more spacious feel and superior driving position to that of a Falcon, and even in the middle row there's generous leg and headroom.

The Territory is a solid driving proposition. It's relatively quiet -- other than some back-seat roar generated from the tyres -- and the refinement is akin to that of a Falcon. The tall driving position, too, is appreciated and it doesn't have that enclosed feeling of a Falcon.

By 4WD standards the Territory is manoeuvrable in city streets. It sounds thoroughly Falcon but has a user-friendliness few off-roaders can match. Its car-derived set-up provides cornering assurance and the sort of comfort families will appreciate.

The Falcon's 4.0-litre engine makes good use of its 182kW of power, accelerating the Territory with ease, and the four-speed automatic provides respectably smooth changes. But the Territory has a serious thirst for fuel, sometimes slurping around 20 litres per 100 kilometres on our brief drive, but often as low as 15 L/100km. It's also prone to disconcerting clunks through the suspension.

Still, as a family truck it appears to have the appropriate credentials. The optional third row of seats (priced at $1500) provides flexibility between kid-carrying duties and load lugging. It's also well decked out with storage binnacles, with everything from cupholders to good-sized door pockets and sizeable covered bins.

Off-road, too, there's little doubt the Territory will perform the duties most expect of it, at least in 4WD guise. Despite a relatively low ground clearance of 178mm, it'll clear decent-sized obstacles, and the traction control system works to divert drive to the wheels that need it most.

But even Ford admits that the Territory will give up a long way before more respected off-roaders, such as Toyota's LandCruiser.

Territory tidbits
    . The Territory uses a 4WD system almost identical to that used on the Holden Adventra and some BMWs, although Ford claims its system is superior because it uses a quieter-operating chain drive instead of the gear drive employed in the Holden.

. The Territory's ground clearance is lower than that of most off-roaders, at just 178mm. Even Ford's jacked-up two-wheel-drive Falcon RTV ute sits 215mm off the ground, and Holden's Adventra rides at 200mm. The company says it may soon offer a high-rise suspension kit.

. Ford revised its sales forecasts down on the Territory from an initial high of 30,000 a year to "as many as 25,000" a year. At those figures, though, the new off-roader will still outsell the best-selling 4WD of 2003, Toyota's Prado, by almost two-to-one.

. The Territory's rear luggage shelf was subjected to the ultimate design criterion -- it had to hold a slab of beer over bumpy roads. No word on whether they were cans or stubbies.

. The lightest Territory is still a hefty 2005kg, and that's only for the base rear-drive model. Considering there's an extra 80kg on 4WD models, it's a substantial vehicle.

. Safety is still an option on some Territorys, with side curtain airbags costing an extra $800 on base model cars. The electronic stability system, the first in an Australian-built car, helps control slides but only comes on 4WD models.

. The Territory has not been designed to take the Falcon's V8 engine. Instead, performance variants will use a turbocharged version of the in-line six-cylinder engine.

. Following the disaster that was the AU, the Territory was researched extensively to ensure it met customers' needs. It's designed to carry mountain bikes with minimal fuss, and the storage bin in the middle seats is dishwasher-safe to allow for easy cleaning.

. The Territory is roomier than the Falcon but 61mm shorter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

The Territory's rear luggage shelf was subjected to the ultimate design criterion -- it had to hold a slab of beer over bumpy roads. No word on whether they were cans or stubbies.
    Typical Aussie stereotype

LOVE IT.
    Don't you just want to get the job doing that stress test.
    Each day having to draw a new slab from stores coz the last one got 'damaged'
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

or if they mysteriously "dissapeared"

half the country would be dying to get a job like that, provided it was VB, not Fosters being used. as much as fosters is linked to Australian society, i cant name anyone i know who actually likes the stuff. everyone seems to go for VB (maybe its about time for the melbourne gran prix to find a new sponsor then)
    I am the Stig

or if they mysteriously "dissapeared"

half the country would be dying to get a job like that, provided it was VB, not Fosters being used. as much as fosters is linked to Australian society, i cant name anyone i know who actually likes the stuff. everyone seems to go for VB (maybe its about time for the melbourne gran prix to find a new sponsor then)
    Castlemaine's probably got the bigger image in the UK.
    Mainly down to the ads for XXXX, which took the piss out of the stereotype of the Aussie male
    Don't like Fosters, but there again I'm a Scottish Real Ale ( 2 great breweries on my doorstep ) and the occasional Guinness
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

well XXXX i think is predominately loved by Queenslanders....i dont know of anyone in Victoria or New South Wales claiming to be a regular drinker of it. One of my dad's friends had a small keg of some German beer and he had a few words to say about it. I think he said it was a fair bit sweeter or something compared to Australian beer's so he wasn't exactly sucking the keg dry, but it was about 5L between 3 males.

Im not familiar with an UK beer's or anythign like Guinnes........all i know about Guinness is apparently it tastes better when its flat or something, and ive heard the British like their beer warm
    I am the Stig

Im not familiar with an UK beer's or anythign like Guinnes........all i know about Guinness is apparently it tastes better when its flat or something, and ive heard the British like their beer warm
    the stereotype
    It's true that UK beers are NOT drunk chilled as much as US beers or lagers.
    But it's NOT warm
    Guuiness ( it's Irish ) is a very heavy drik and needs to be left to settle till it seperates into the black and the white. Very smooth - but best in Dublin
    mouth-watering ...
    must ..... get ......... beer ..............
    cya

There an old joke why the poms drink warm beer...lucas also made fridges....matra should get it
    XXXX is swamp water...i buy it because myold man doesnt have the bad taste to drink it...and thats only when i dont want to share...rare occasions indeed...VB is a good drop,MB is basically the same.....what is commonaly refferd to as our best beer is crown larger...good beer buton the cons you need a bottle opener to get a drink...and their damned expensive...and then theirs tooheys good beers also all have good slightly diffrent flavors but tend to cost more then VB which is a benchmark for price here.....
    Now for a contraversial subject....light beer the best light beer imo is cascade it seems to have more taste fosters light ice is ok (mainly because its my fathers light and its free most of the time) the rest is pure shit and id rather XXXX...ive tried that bud light stuff its crap...reminds me of the old joke what does american beer and makeing love in a boat have in common? their both F*cking close to water.....

well James Boag, Hahn Premium, Crown Lager, Cascade etc. are all premium brews that you dont really take a slab over to a mates place and try and knock them all off on a saturday night. Thats what makes VB so popular i guess. whilst the premium lagers are almost $50 a slab, you can pick up a slab of VB for $30 and i suppose you dont really mind paying less for less of a taste
    I am the Stig

Well at a friend 18th she loaded my bag with no less then 9 cascades i have devloped a taste for then and tho my preferd light(it also envoked a drunken hug)
    As for the taste their isnt much in it...and beers get me under the table quicker them my scotch does anyways...also a beter idea to drink beer at the pub damn $5 for a single hwere its about $3 something for a beer (despite it being more profitable i still drink the scotch and a pay a .50 premium for the red label they have under the counter) i only really drink beer when its free or its what i have...other then that its scotch all the way....usally igo for what evers on special if im buying beer...empier is what one of my friends has a taste for nice tasteing beer but ahs a premuim price tag too....

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    There an old joke why the poms drink warm beer...lucas also made fridges....matra should get it
    It's even worse for me. All my cars have FRENCH electrics.
    Telling you Ducellier makes Lucas look like NASA
    XXXX is swamp water...i buy it because myold man doesnt have the bad taste to drink it...and thats only when i dont want to share...rare occasions indeed...VB is a good drop,MB is basically the same.....what is commonaly refferd to as our best beer is crown larger...good beer buton the cons you need a bottle opener to get a drink...and their damned expensive...and then theirs tooheys good beers also all have good slightly diffrent flavors but tend to cost more then VB which is a benchmark for price here.....
    That's given me a nice list of beers to source and taste.
    Thanks
    Now for a contraversial subject....light beer the best light beer imo is cascade it seems to have more taste fosters light ice is ok (mainly because its my fathers light and its free most of the time) the rest is pure shit and id rather XXXX...ive tried that bud light stuff its crap...reminds me of the old joke what does american beer and makeing love in a boat have in common? their both F*cking close to water.....
    Hate light beer.
    Only marginally less than low-alcohol beer.
    Uk had one called Kaliber which tasted acceptable when it was first poured and VERY cold. After 5 minutes it warmed up and tasted of piss !! Even using Billy Connelly to advertise it on TV never saved it
    WHich brings ME full circle in that I don't like lager's, American beers and XXXX when it's anything other than very cold. As I like to sit by a warm open fire with a beer in my hand, they quickly go 'bad' OR I drink them so quick I become rat-arsed

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    ...(despite it being more profitable i still drink the scotch and a pay a .50 premium for the red label they have under the counter)
    Man, you need to change bars if that's the 'good' whisky
    Next time you're in ask the barman for the real whisky which the owner no doubt keeps in the back office

I couldnt resist the beer conversation, so close to my heart n'all. I concur that Cascade Premium lite is not only the best , but the only lite beer that is drinkable. In fact I like the taste so much it is what I drink most of the time. The bestest of the best is Coopers Pale Ale or Real Ale if you want a headache.
    Matra, enough about Whisky ok! We colonials get you cast offs and have to pay good money for it, just to subsidise your drinking habits.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information