Thread: Drifting Fad?

Drifting Fad?

I know drifting, the art of going through a turn "sideways" has been popular for quite some time now. Like drag racing, will the next big "thing" be drifting? Will americans find themselves heading to the "twisties" any time soon?

As all of us probably know, drifting is not the most efficient way of going through a turn quickly, but we can all agree it is the coolest. In different conditions drifting may become advantageous because of certain factors like the maximum grip of the road being too low for grip driving ie (rain, mud, gravel, snow). Will America with its long strait multi lane highways be capable of accomodating the growing population of wannabee drifters?

One of the largest crowds at the Knockhill event wre to see the Cosworth doing a drifting demonstration.
    Have to say it IS impressive car controla nd at the end of the day that's what I like in motorsport.
    Not sure if I want it as often as racing and rallying mind.
    But it made a nice interlude.

My concern with drifting is if it leads to folks trying it on the public roads. Drifting is VERY dangerous as it requires the driver to make the car unstable to start with. That requires an aspect of loss of control I don't think belongs on streets with people and other vehicles and buildings and road-side furniture
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I dont know about drifting becoming the next big thnig, as it requires lots of practice and experience, and not just anyone can get into it like that, so i dont thnk it will overtake dragracing, and other forms of popular motor sports.
    But i have to agree it is becoming very popular, and personally I thnk drifting is really interesting, I would love to one day learn to drift properly.

I watched this vidoe on drifting (Drifting Bible), Its a really good video, its one of those videos that you gotta watch, go practice, and watch again to see what you did wrong and practice again, for anyone who is interested in drifting i would recoment it.
    Last edited by Need4Speed; 04-21-2004 at 11:48 PM.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

Anyone seen the video (it was in the form of an email I recieved a while ago) of a Yellow Supra being absolutely slaughtered around a race track, drift style. I was quite impressive especially because of the high speed he was carrying. Sounded great too.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Drifting is blowin up here in the US. I know even pontiac is gettin into it with a GTO they made for the drifting series. Brands liek APC also have full teams of drifters and Falken is big. They say give it a fe wmore years and it will be a huge event.

apparently at the first american special for drifting, all the locals were slaughterd in the first round by the japanese drivers, one of whom was in a brand spanking new dodge viper gtr! the japanese have been doing it for longer, and have the know how in the setup and practice. so u cant blame the americans for just rolling over and watching the show! (lmao) (no offence american people out there)
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Give us a few years, the Japanese have been doing it for a long time, they are pros, were noobs. Pretty soon i bet well be winning
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Anyone seen the video (it was in the form of an email I recieved a while ago) of a Yellow Supra being absolutely slaughtered around a race track, drift style. I was quite impressive especially because of the high speed he was carrying. Sounded great too.

yeah i saw it, couple of japanise lads driving it!!! the tyres screeching around the corner and that high reving engine....
    now that wasnt rice.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    Give us a few years, the Japanese have been doing it for a long time, they are pros, were noobs. Pretty soon i bet well be winning
    haha typical american :P

Thread Information