Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson rates "25 best cars I've driven"

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    True, on a side note. I stopped in at a local dealership. Told them what my vehicle needs were. He showed me a Ferrari 355 Spyder and asked if he should start doing paperwork for a test drive. Whoah wtf?!
    Well you are a petrolhead. I think most us would find the 355 does really please us.

Did you told them about the budget...?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well you are a petrolhead. I think most us would find the 355 does really please us.

Did you told them about the budget...?
    Yeah, and with like $20k down, monthly would be like 400. He said he could get me into it for possibly under $40K. An investment?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Yeah, and with like $20k down, monthly would be like 400. He said he could get me into it for possibly under $40K. An investment?
    If you can afford it, and not only the monthly payments but running it as well, I personally wouldn't hesitate. I don't know how the market for 355s is now, but it'll probably have depreciated quite a lot by now so that by the time it comes to sell it you won't lose much money. And you'll have owned a Ferrari and I think that this more than makes up for any depreciation it might occur.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If you can afford it, and not only the monthly payments but running it as well.
    I remember an old thread titled something like "so you think you can own a Ferrari" that creeps into my mind. Between the running costs and insurance. I dont stand a chance. It may be 400 for the car, but probably ~1000 a month for running and insurance, 1400 is something I cant handle on my budget.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

that was the deal with me not getting a maserati. the car wasnt the big expense. my insurance woudl have doubled, and over a grand a year in regular maintenance. so maybe in a few years i can afford one, but not when i was looking.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

so happy i've got good insurance; whilst maintenance on the porsche is about in line with any car if i'd gone italian or similiar i would have been boned..
    actually put me off the 968CS i was looking at initially, parts aren't off the shelf like 911's, would have been costly.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

no Mclaren F1 in that list

i dont like clarkson , but he is one of the few journalists (tv or otherwise) to say the F1 has poor oversteer handeling

being a british car , thats quite damming coming from him

Can't help but notice that he says 'best cars I've ever driven', not 'best handling'. He sometimes likes his cars to be an event, even if they're a bit naff. You can still get a kick out of taming crud (my old Mk3 Fiesta is a case in point)!

Quote Originally Posted by andycoates View Post
    Can't help but notice that he says 'best cars I've ever driven', not 'best handling'. He sometimes likes his cars to be an event, even if they're a bit naff. You can still get a kick out of taming crud (my old Mk3 Fiesta is a case in point)!
    True! I've driven rather nice cars, but my Mk.4 Fiesta and even more so the Puma I own now are much more fun. I'd love to own the 370Z too At the internship i had a go at the TT circuit Assen. Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    no Mclaren F1 in that list

i dont like clarkson , but he is one of the few journalists (tv or otherwise) to say the F1 has poor oversteer handeling

being a british car , thats quite damming coming from him
    People enjoy Clarkson's hard opinions and dry sense of humour. However, they seem to forget that he knows nothing about how cars handle, nor has after 20 years of driving supercars has any skills behind the wheel. A good example is when he put the current ZR1 against an Audi R8 and constantly said that the ZR1 was impossible to drive faster than the R8. Then in the hands of the stig it blitzed the R8.

I also remember him slagging off the Carrera GT calling it bland and uninteresting, reviewing it against the Enzo Ferrari.
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 03-22-2010 at 01:46 AM.

He said the Corvette was more difficult, and it probably is.

As for the Carrera GT, as far as I remember he loved it. The other piece about supercars was comparing modern ones to 80's and 90's examples. He preferred the old ones.

In any case though all journalist raod tests have to be taken with a pinch of salt. In the end the ultimate road test is the one you do yourself.
    Visca Catalunya!

minor point, Scrut, he knows nothing about the TECHNOLOGY, the WHY , but is up on how it drives
    Can't ever compare a race driver breadth of knowledge with a journo, that's jsut takign it to an extreme.

AND Clarkson's comments are about getting readers/viewers attention and to sell his column, mag, book, video, tv show.

Hardly anyone bought Jackie Stewarts book on driving because it plainly, very matter of fact explained what to do and what would happen and is THE most boring read on the planet Even the improved later edition AND that was one aimed at the man in the street. Clarkson is a money-making-vehicle and that's it. So dramatising the worst aspects, making "challenges" that others will definately beat and acting a clown on 2 wheels so he can continue his anti-bike tirades. All JC fun.

and I concur a Porsche is ALWAYS "bland" compared to a Ferrari.
    It's in the dna of both brands.
    But "bland" isn't bad ... unless you're designing a modern fighter plane

and COMPLETELY concur with this new Ferrer guys very sensible last statement .... btw, has anyone checked that Ferrer's account hasn't been hacked ?? Just joking m8
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Come on guys I wasn't so mad before. And I still think that the rebadged Fiats are an afront to Lancia's illustrious history. So it's still me.

I must be getting older or something...
    Visca Catalunya!

this is false. there is no lotus exige. he loves the pants off that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    But "bland" isn't bad ... unless you're designing a modern fighter plane
    Ahem Eurofighter Ahem
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information