Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who rebuild/paint/restore

For those who rebuild/paint/restore

I have been considering my options for my next car fairly extensively this past 10 months.

I've gone one way then the other in regards to what I want, how I want it.

I've been feeling fairly.. "domestic" lately, in the way that I do not have any trade skills and my entire life revolves around computers (Work in IT and spend my time gaming or taking/editing photos and videos).

So After pin pointing down the realisation that I'm feeling this way due to lack of activity in the manly section of my life I've started thinking seriously about buying a car and doing a few things myself.

Initially the basic jist is -

~ Strip the interior (only dash and maybe trans tunnel cover left in)
    ~ Remove the sound deadener
    ~ Straighten out and prepare the body for paint
    ~ Complete respray inside and outside (will do engine bay at a later point)
    ~ Flock dash in suede or cover in suitable material
    ~ Cut out any weight not needed (audio etc)
    ~ Replace anything that requires it (rubber seals etc)

I would be aiming to get this car to a level that is mostly a street legal(ish) track/drift car. I wouldn't be touching the engine initially until I could afford to do a swap for something more potent than the stock unit - at which point I would paint the engine bay the same ludicrous colour as the roll cage.

Essentially I've loved the Mk3 Supra's for a good few years and they are currently at a price point I find entirely agreeable. I'm not completely new to modifying and painting etc, but certainly haven't taken on anything close to this scale before.

What has been your experience? Have you enjoyed it? Would you do it again?

TL DR: Should I buy a car and strip it for enjoyment and skill building?

Images for reference -

Interior to be similar to :
    Last edited by whiteballz; 01-05-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Do it because you can, and enjoy it. Adding extra, or improving existing skills is part of the side benefits.

Having restored a couple of dozen cars so far (working on 3 at the moment), every one brought some new pleasure. Either in research or fabrication, or the supreme enjoyment of driving the things once they're finished. A custom Supra sounds cool, feelin' your inner bosozoku?
    Go for it.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

somethings tells me that the title should be "for those WHO paint"....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by csl177
    feelin' your inner bosozoku?
    Actually No, The style I'm more aiming for is commonly called USDM, or SoCal to be specific - but with my own twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Henk4
    Somethings tells me that the title should be "for those WHO paint.
    Not quite sure I understand what you mean?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    You are being corrected on your grammar you heathen westie.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Sorry you Newtown hipster.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Actually No, The style I'm more aiming for is commonly called USDM, or SoCal to be specific - but with my own twist.

I could change the thread title for you if you would wish so.

Edit: Just did, let's get back on topic.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i'm redoing my interior ballz.. seems pretty achievable, your biggest challenge will be making the plastic japanese dash of the era look good.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Link to big to post inline here - But this is the 2nd option other than suede/alcantara for the dash.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...f0118e9f_b.jpg
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Just pulling your leg, WB... loosely speaking you're going outlaw which I completely grock. Digging that MacDonald tartan interior,
    looks bitchin'. Since yer in OZ, how about something cultural like Aboriginal art fabric? You could even do your own on alcantara...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 01-06-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Its great if youve got the time/motivation and dont need the car on the road.

Of course theres issues though. When i resprayed the Pulsar, i still needed the car driveable so until i put on a full paint of coat i had to drive around first with spots of primer all over the car and then with primered bumpers. With my EB its taking me forever, having to fight either a major lack of motivation, available help with some of the bigger jobs needing done or having the space to actually do something. Just this past week i only just pulled out the K frame from my parts car and i can finally send that off to the scrapyard now, and ive had the EB for almost 2 years now, and its been off the road for over a year and a half.

I'd still do it all again, but i'd probably think about it alot more before doing anything. Theres been alot of things for me that i either havent realised need doing in putting a V8 into a car previously occupied by an I6, or how much money gets spent when you pick up a dozen things, one by one, all around the $300 mark.
    I am the Stig

Thanks for your input FPV,

I've got a reliable daily, So I'm still good for transport (where I live now I could easily survivie on public transport)

I've got plenty of room for stripping and painting at my parents place (3/4's an acre -Though I should check its OK first )

I wont be doing anything nearly as complex as an engine swap in the back yard, I'd be just doing the body and suspension/brakes/interior. Once I grow bored of the standard engine (if I go ahead with my supra idea) I'll have saved up enough to straight out pay someone to drop a 2JZ in for me. At which point I'd get them to smooth the engine bay & paint it in whatever colour I desire.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Link to big to post inline here - But this is the 2nd option other than suede/alcantara for the dash.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...f0118e9f_b.jpg
    This should be the first option, but like GTi seats.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Not to be a debbie downer, but don't expect great results out of your first paint job and other stuff. I've seen a lot of projects abandoned and left for dead because of this. Don't let it happen to you.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Input from pro's is always welcome.

Its not my first paintjob, I've done parts before but never an entire car - If I get in trouble I've got friends online who'll jump in to help out for a case or three.

I think it'll be OK, I've been looking at the roll on auto paints. Looks like a boon.

Haven't decided how I'll be painting it yet though.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information