Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dude, seriously?

Dude, seriously?

F1 team may run afoul of Canada's tobacco laws - The Globe and Mail

With all the PC and fun police everywhere now, the world might as well end in 2012...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Sooo, the car...looks like a cigarette pack...is what they're saying.

The fun police ended F1's world years ago...

Hey what about this: Internally, Marlboro and Ferrari legally change their team boss' surname to Marlboro. Externally the team boss takes ownership of the team and calls it after himself, (Marlboro Scuderia Racing or etc). Would it work?

I thought Ferrari is already called Marlboro....Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro I think is their name?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

hmmm i'd say just run the livery at a different track but that silly F1 rule would ruin that. Maybe Lotus and Renault can meet in the middle and paint the front half of the car green and yellow in homage of Lotus and the back half blue and yellow in homage of Renault's last championship. The car would be ugly as hell but hey who cares, everyone's happy and the objective gets completed

The other Lotus team (the one that raced last year) is still using the green and yellow, so that'd make things confusing...er.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Great idea, aiasib!

Lotta supposition in that article... sounds like some writer needed to tweak or his editor was gonna chew him a new one.
    Don't worry about it, it's a color scheme with historical overtones that a new audience wouldn't make the connection of WITHOUT some lame columnist bringing it up. Straw man. Bet there'll be no issue with Renault using black & gold.
    Last edited by csl177; 01-20-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: sp.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

This is Canada....land of PC....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The other Lotus team (the one that raced last year) is still using the green and yellow, so that'd make things confusing...er.
    oh didnt know that team was still around, i thought they teamed up with Renault (shows how much F1 coverage we get here in the states). New idea then, use the red and gold livery that was used in their championship seasons of '68 and '70

Group Lotus bought into the Renault F1 team, Team Lotus is the F1 team from last year - there's still battles going on over who can use the Lotus name in F1.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

This is ridiculous.

Black and gold on a Lotus F1 car is so freaking classic. It's like the Gulf colors on a 917.

You can't seriously take that away.

Does not break the law because JPS never used the black and gold packet in North America as far as I am aware
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

If they get their way and ban the use of the black and gold Lotus / Renault livery just because it "used" to be representative of an old (defunct) sponsor then it's just another farcical ruling. It's a colour scheme not a sponsor, Ferrari have been getting away with the red and white Marlboro colours (who as pointed out are still a sponsor, to 2014 if they extend involvement as i read) ever since the tobacco ban came in so why this has even come up is just a joke.

Heck last years Mercedes GP colours matched Lambert and Butlers tobacco brand but no one told them they couldn't use it.

Maybe for Lotus / Renault should use yellow with blue sponsor logos for the Canadian GP, oh no they can't can they as thats the same as the old "Camel" cigarette brand. Seriously though some people need to get a grip on what's really important.

They have to run the same colours for the entire season right, but does that mean they have to be the same way around, switch them for Canada to gold with black sponsors, just a quick thought.
    Last edited by RSOWNER; 01-23-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: After-thought

I think that there could be an inverse relation between the amount of cigarette money involved in motorsport and the quality of top level racing.

1980s - lots of cigarette money, amazing racing.

2010s - no cigarette money, not so good racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think that there could be an inverse relation between the amount of cigarette money involved in motorsport and the quality of top level racing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

What about the sponsorless early and mid sixties? Maybe it's just that tobacco is the lesser evil.

Thread Information