View Poll Results: what car was the first to have these safety features?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • VW Jetta

0 0%
  • Mecedes S class

14 82.35%
  • Cadillac CTS

0 0%
  • BMW 3 series

2 11.76%
  • Audi A4

0 0%
  • Lincoln Continental

1 5.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what car was the first?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    yeah as said, the copyright isn't the big thing with that post for me.
    As usual "defence" on copyright is not benefitting and nobody will check --- all of which is true UNTIL someone decides otherwise and then you're screwed

It was the blatant cut/paste and no acknowledgement
    Agreed.

I can definitely see culver's point of view and agree with him as well.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Agreed.

I can definitely see culver's point of view and agree with him as well.
    I suggest we put this discussion to rest and store it in the file: Lessons learned.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

So now that I have chastised FastDriver, I hope he takes this as just a bump in the road and joins in the talks here. Remember, even some of us who know we are right all the time have been proven wrong... damn it.

BTW, it appears that Chrysler was the first to have electronic ABS with GM and Nissan nipping at their heals and all well before the 1980s.
    Anti-lock braking system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The automotive navigation page seems to mention a number of different technologies. If Wiki is to be believed (and I have used it liberally in the past) then Olds was actually the first with GPS satellite navigation in a production car. Mitsubishi and Pioneer claim earlier non-GPS but satellite based systems.

So in the end I will go with none of the above because it appears Mercedes wasn't first with any of the four technologies. Given that the Olds with GPS nav would have had airbags, likely ABS and certainly, by law, 3 point belts it appears the winner is the Oldsmobile 88!

What do I win?

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_navigation_system"]Automotive navigation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Yesterday I read that Audi invented the TDi engine...in an Audi pressrelease about the engine of the new R18.
    They are wrong.

Skoda invented the TDi engine. And high performance rear engined cars. Amongs other things. Like doors and windows.

Or something.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

So really, what do I win for finding the first car with all four technologies?

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    The automotive navigation page seems to mention a number of different technologies. If Wiki is to be believed (and I have used it liberally in the past) then Olds was actually the first with GPS satellite navigation in a production car. Mitsubishi and Pioneer claim earlier non-GPS but satellite based systems.

So in the end I will go with none of the above because it appears Mercedes wasn't first with any of the four technologies. Given that the Olds with GPS nav would have had airbags, likely ABS and certainly, by law, 3 point belts it appears the winner is the Oldsmobile 88!

What do I win?
    Honda actually made a mechanically-based navigation system.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_Gyrocator"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_Gyrocator[/ame]

Of course, the 1981 Accord probably didn't have ABS. Or airbags.

edit - But the 1990 Eunos Cosmo not only came with what looks like an airbag, it also had ABS, three-point-belts, AND GPS navigation. So do I win?
    Last edited by kingofthering; 04-30-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I named the Olds system as first not because it I thought it was the first car nav system or the first installed in a car. In this case it appears to be the first factory installed system. I wonder what FastDriver was specifically thinking of when he started the pole. Was it first car with a GPS nav screen (I could believe the GM system didn't have a traditional color LCD nav screen)?

FastDriver,
    What specifics were you thinking with this question? You said MB S-class. Was this based on something you had read or some details such as the S-class likely being first with airbags in Europe? Looking at the Olds system it wasn't exactly better integrated than most aftermarket systems so it would be reasonable to claim it was basically a factory installed after market system.
    Last edited by culver; 05-01-2011 at 07:30 PM.

I was basing this off of wikipedia which as i know is not entirely reliiable, so I guess it was kind of a gray area with many possible answers. So i deemed this thread closed. except i cant close it. so its still open

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    I was basing this off of wikipedia which as i know is not entirely reliiable, so I guess it was kind of a gray area with many possible answers. So i deemed this thread closed. except i cant close it. so its still open
    Which systems did you have specifically in mind? The S-class probably was the first if we narrow some of the criteria. Like I said with the nav system, it appears that the Olds system wasn't better integrated than an aftermarket solution so perhaps it shouldn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Which systems did you have specifically in mind? The S-class probably was the first if we narrow some of the criteria. Like I said with the nav system, it appears that the Olds system wasn't better integrated than an aftermarket solution so perhaps it shouldn't count.
    Perhaps you're correct, but I'm over it. I posted the part that I was reading, but there are a lot of cars out there, so maybe thier information isn't exactly acurate.

Yes, but it would have been nice if you apologized for telling me I was wrong rather than stating that you were over it

oh ok, well i appologize for dismissing your answer so quickly. That was my bad

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    oh ok, well i appologize for dismissing your answer so quickly. That was my bad
    ok

now that the peace treaty has been officially signed, do we want to leave the thread open or shall I close it?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information