Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitdy Summer Tour 2012: La Belle Province and (et?) Bonnie Auld Scotland!

Kitdy Summer Tour 2012: La Belle Province and (et?) Bonnie Auld Scotland!

I rarely go places, so I figured I'd make a thread here as a bit of a document for my 2 holidays this summer.

This weekend I will make one of the most exciting straight-as-an-arrow drives east across highway 401 and autoroute 20 to beautiful Montreal! I am going to be staying with some friends who moved out there a few years ago for work, and am going to be joined by another friend flying in. We will see the sights, eat some proper poutine, and attend the NAPA Auto Parts 200 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve; a NASCAR Nationwide race supported by the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, Canadian Touring Car Championship, and Grand-Am Rolex Sportscar Series.

This will be my fourth trip to Quebec and my third time in Montreal. In middle school we had a weekend in Quebec City. I was at the Canadian Grand Prix with my Dad in 2004, and I visited these same friends and went to the same event last year.

I am excited to say the least! It's fairly sad to say, but I have actually only been on terra firma in two provinces. I've actually been to more states in the US than provinces in my own country... Sad, but true.

That is leg one of my journey. I will return to the humble confines of the TDot (as the gangstas call it) then my family and I will trek to Scotland in September to spend two weeks with my Grandad, as well as visit the rest of the family. Pretty much my entire family lives in Scotland.

My first cousin once removed is involved in the TRD rally scene in Scotland, and has a nice Fulvia. I will ask him for a ride in it... It also looks like as I will be insured on our rental ("hire") car for the first time, so I will be driving on the wrong side of the road. Unfortunately, it looks like we will be renting an automatic. Ah well. I look forward to eating some healthy Scottish fare and seeing my family whilst there. It will also be a nice change to have some fresh sea air in my nostrils.

Anyways, I am pretty excited for both trips. I don't usually take too many pictures whenever I go on vacay as I like to soak in the things that I do and not get distracted by snapping away. If I have any interesting photos to share, I will post them here, as well as keep y'all updated with what is going on. I will have full internet access in Quebec and sporadic access in Scotland.

Cool!

Enjoy your vacation! I can't go this year because timing didn't work out so well in my family.

I've actually been to Quebec, back in 2008. It's a very, very friendly city. I remember the locals were more than happy to deal with my terrible French and accept USD even when Canadian dollars were worth a fair bit more.

Look for Matra in Scotland! And try some offal meat. I'd like to try haggis.

On a side note, do Canadians eat much organ meats?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Cool!

Enjoy your vacation! I can't go this year because timing didn't work out so well in my family.

I've actually been to Quebec, back in 2008. It's a very, very friendly city. I remember the locals were more than happy to deal with my terrible French and accept USD even when Canadian dollars were worth a fair bit more.

Look for Matra in Scotland! And try some offal meat. I'd like to try haggis.

On a side note, do Canadians eat much organ meats?
    Thanks! Where abouts were you in Quebec? You should attend the Grand Prix one year; it's a blast!

I "rang" Matra last time I was in Scotland, but because I was only there for a brief time, we didn't meet up. Maybe this time we will. The last two times I have been over have been kinda hectic. This will be a relaxing time to spend with family, go on the odd day trip (the geezer is fairly old now, so nothing to nuts), and hopefully meet up with some of my friends who have moved over to the UK.

I've had a lot of haggis in my time. It's ok. I'm looking forwards to chip suppers and fritters. Mmm. Also the candies ("sweeties") are exciting and different, and I adore Nestle white chocolate, so it's gonna be a good time for fat and caloric intake.

I would not say offal meats are popular with, uh, "white-ass" Canadians, but I'd guess it's a popular food especially in big metropolitan areas like Van City, MTL, and TO (very especially Toronto) due to the depth and breath of cultures living here.

Let me know how the NASCAR race is....I want to go to that at some point...

Have you been to the F1 race? Just so that I can have a point of reference....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Yeah! I went to the Canadian Grand Prix in 2004. We were sitting at turn 1/2.

The Nationwide race was good last year; CGV seems to make some good racing for those behemoths. We are gonna be GA so just wandering around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I will have ... internet access ... in Scotland.
    56k has made its way to Scotland?
    Consider me impressed!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    56k has made its way to Scotland?
    Consider me impressed!

14.4!

Good news. Let me know dates, will see if any events on to let you see grass roots scottish motorsport Shame not today as off to Knockhill for some car setup work tonight

Plenty of wifi spots around and most places to eat or stay provide free, also good 3G coverage and speed is excellent.

14.4 ? man I remember when we got the first 1200 baud line in Glasgow
    Now sitting on 20Mb and option to go to 100 if I pay.

pm me dates if you want.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Good news. Let me know dates, will see if any events on to let you see grass roots scottish motorsport Shame not today as off to Knockhill for some car setup work tonight

Plenty of wifi spots around and most places to eat or stay provide free, also good 3G coverage and speed is excellent.

14.4 ? man I remember when we got the first 1200 baud line in Glasgow
    Now sitting on 20Mb and option to go to 100 if I pay.

pm me dates if you want.
    A few things: when you measure speed in baud, that is truly OG. Respect. We will exclusively be staying at my Grandad's flat which has truly 1950s level technology. And none of his neighbours have open wifi...

We haven't booked yet; I will shoot you dates and details when I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Thanks! Where abouts were you in Quebec? You should attend the Grand Prix one year; it's a blast!

I "rang" Matra last time I was in Scotland, but because I was only there for a brief time, we didn't meet up. Maybe this time we will. The last two times I have been over have been kinda hectic. This will be a relaxing time to spend with family, go on the odd day trip (the geezer is fairly old now, so nothing to nuts), and hopefully meet up with some of my friends who have moved over to the UK.

I've had a lot of haggis in my time. It's ok. I'm looking forwards to chip suppers and fritters. Mmm. Also the candies ("sweeties") are exciting and different, and I adore Nestle white chocolate, so it's gonna be a good time for fat and caloric intake.

I would not say offal meats are popular with, uh, "white-ass" Canadians, but I'd guess it's a popular food especially in big metropolitan areas like Van City, MTL, and TO (very especially Toronto) due to the depth and breath of cultures living here.
    I was in Quebec City when I went with my high school. Nothing too long, it was a 3 day weekend trip. It was cool because Quebec was celebrating its 400th anniversary founding at the time and it was also Carnival, so it was very festive but also incredibly cold.

QC is really neat because it is so old. There's a real European feel to the Old City. Pretty damn cool for a city in NA.

Hope Scotland is to your liking, any particularly locations you are planning? I might bump into you.....
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Hope Scotland is to your liking, any particularly locations you are planning? I might bump into you.....
    We're gonna be in Angus. We have already done a lot of sightseeing the other 8-10 times I have been there so I think we're mostly gonna be sticking close to home. That being said, I may be able to take the rental out and about for a a day trip here and there.

Are you still in Aberdeen?

I will be in Glasgow for the next weekend or two but monday to friday I am in Aberdeen yes. No problem. As long its a good break for you and your family.
    autozine.org

shame your in Glasgow as Scottish Hillclimb is at Fintray this weekend :-(
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information