Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM

England, somerset
The new Mercedes SLK

Mercedes SLK-Class
With the completely newly developed Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class, one of the most exciting and successful sports cars ever built is entering its third generation. The new roadster uncompromisingly takes driving pleasure and open-air enjoyment to a new level. It blends light-footed sportiness with stylish comfort, a striking sports-car design with total suitability for everyday use, top performance with exemplary ecology. What's more, the Mercedes-Benz SLK is proud to present the world premiere of the panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL, which switches to light or dark at the touch of a button. Exemplary efficiency and sporty flair come courtesy of powerful new 4- and 6-cylinder engines featuring the standard-specification ECO start/stop function. With their superb levels of performance they are up to 25 percent more economical than their predecessors. And a unique set of safety equipment bestows role-model status on the SLK in this segment. With its wealth of technical innovations the Mercedes-Benz SLK is once again the benchmark in its class.

"The new SLK embodies the role of the trend-setter like no other car", says Dr Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars. "I am convinced that with its passionate design, its high-quality interior and its modesty at the filling station it will continue to provide an enormous amount of fun on the road in future, too, consolidating its status as a cult roadster."

Mercedes-Benz-SLK-Class_2012_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

There will initially be three models of the Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class available at its market launch, all of them powered by new engines with direct injection. The four-cylinder engines in the SLK 200 BlueEFFICIENCY and SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY develop 135 kW (184 hp) and 150 kW (204 hp) respectively from a displacement of 1796 cubic centimetres. The SLK 200 BlueEFFICIENCY is the most economical roadster in its segment. With the enhanced, optional seven-speed automatic transmission 7G‑TRONIC PLUS it consumes just 6.1 litres of premium petrol (NEDC, combined) over 100 kilometres (that corresponds to 142 g of CO2 per kilometre). The frugal model sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.0 seconds, and achieves its top speed at 237 km/h (240 km/h with manual transmission).

The SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY is equipped as standard with the 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission and consumes only 6.2 litres (NEDC, combined) over 100 kilometres (144 g of CO2 per kilometre). From a standstill it reaches 100 km/h in 6.6 seconds, and it has a top speed of 243 km/h.

The V6 engine in the SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY draws 225 kW (306 hp) from its 3498 cubic-centimetre displacement, using this power to accelerate in 5.6 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h (top speed 250 km/h). Its consumption is 7.1 litres (NEDC, combined) over 100 kilometres (167 g of CO2 per kilometre). The V6 engine has been completely newly developed. Its most important hallmarks are its 3rd-generation direct injection, piezo injectors and multi-spark ignition.

The exemplary efficiency, with fuel consumption reduced by up to a quarter compared with the predecessor models, is also due to the ECO start/stop system which is fitted as part of the standard specification in all models.

Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 01-14-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
I like this car, way better than the last one with that big ugly schnozz for a hood bulge. I like the tuff looking front fascia, kind of has a masculine Dodge Ram appeal to it...

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA
I'd rather eat glass than be caught driving a car with "panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL".
Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
I'd rather eat glass than be caught driving a car with "panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL".
why, this sounds to me like a ground breaking option.....
Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via AIM to Cobrafan427
ewww HATE IT. it looks like a poorly designed block derby car that Boy Scouts race
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Furniture

I like it better than the last generation, but basically every SLK has been both ugly and shitty.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Fanatic

Sydney, Down Under
It's looking like the new 55AMG will get an atmo 5.5 V8, rather than the twin-turbo version. Which is both good and bad. Good, because AMG make some sweet atmo motors, but bad because a twin-turbo 5.5 V8 in a SLK? Ohgodyes.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
It looks good, except for the grille and the DRLs.

Also, only the base model with a manual? Sportscar-fail...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM

England, somerset
looks like the old SL
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Sportscar-fail...
Sportscar-fail = M-B in general.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
Sportscar-fail = M-B in general.
I would tend to agree except that the naughty sound of the V8s in AMG versions almost saves them. Almost.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Orange County, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
looks like the old SL
Looks like a mini-SLS. The similarities are very obvious.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
I actually like the older model a bit more...
Old 01-15-2011, 05:31 AM

England, somerset
at least this new SLK is not trying to look like a SLR unlike the old SLK
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
at least this new SLK is not trying to look like a SLR unlike the old SLK
Making it look like the old halo car that has recently been discontinued would've been a silly idea.

Tags
mercedes