Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news

Jaime Melo and Gimmi Bruni to drive for Risi Competizione ALMS in 2010.

The car is not ready.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

For yhose interestd in Sebring and ALMS entry news, you might want to go here: americanlemansfans.com • Login

More specifically, americanlemansfans.com • Login
    Last edited by jimclark; 01-25-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo

"Consider all things - the events of your past and the possibilities for tommorow.
    Let nothing stop you from becoming the architect of your future." - Nicholas Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    Again, the ALMSFans board for more... americanlemansfans.com • Login
    "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Audi have signed Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Treluyer to drive one of the R15s at Le Mans.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Motorsport
    Ingolstadt, January 28, 2010 – Audi Sport leaves nothing to chance in its endeavour to bring the prestigious Le Mans trophy back to Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm. Not only the technology of the Audi R15 TDI is being subjected to further development. The drivers’ line-up for the 24 Hours of Le Mans (France) has been extended as well.

For the world’s most famous endurance race, Audi has signed three new drivers, the Swiss Marcel Fässler (33), German André Lotterer (28) and Frenchman Benoît Treluyer (33), who will be sharing the cockpit of one of three Audi R15 TDI cars on June 12/13, 2010.

"In view of our strong competitors, we want to – and have to – be perfectly positioned in terms of drivers too,” explained Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. "Therefore, we decided to extend our driver line-up. Marcel, André and Benoît attracted our attention during the past two years in a particularly positive way. They are used to handling fast prototypes and know each other extremely well. The three of them, and we too, are convinced that they are a very good combination for Le Mans.”

The new Audi drivers already have experience at the wheel of diesel racing sports cars. Marcel Fässler successfully contested two races in the American Le Mans Series for Audi in 2008. André Lotterer impressed at Le Mans last year at the wheel of an Audi R10 TDI of the private Audi customer team Kolles. Benoît Treluyer competed in the 24-hour classic in a Peugeot in 2009.

Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Treluyer have already visited Audi Sport in Ingolstadt for seat-fittings and will soon be testing the Audi R15 TDI. The first racing commitment for the new Audi driver trio is planned for May 9, in the 1000-kilometer race at Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium), which will serve as a dress rehearsal for the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Audi Sport Team Joest.

"For the time being, plans for Marcel, André and Benoît are fully focused on Le Mans 2010,” says Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. "But all three of them are still relatively young, and therefore, may also become part of our sports car project over the long term.”

Audi has been contesting the 24 Hours of Le Mans since 1999 and having made 11 starts, has won the race as many as eight times. In addition to speed, reliability and efficiency are the key factors of success in the world’s most famous endurance race.

Furthermore, the LMP1 class is unrivalled by any other motorsport category in terms of offering the opportunity to test technical innovations in racing conditions. Thanks to its technology leadership, Audi has repeatedly set milestones in this regard. The Audi R8, for instance, successfully introduced TFSI gasoline direct injection technology in 2001, while in 2006 the Audi R10 TDI was the first diesel-powered vehicle to clinch victory in the history of the race.

Quotes by the new Audi drivers

Marcel Fässler: "For me, Audi is the most successful brand at Le Mans. Having the chance to be part of the Audi team this year is incredible for me and a great opportunity I want to take advantage of at all cost. I’m tremendously looking forward to the new challenge with Audi and expect the R15 TDI to be competing for overall victory. We’ll see which Audi team will be the most fortunate one in the end. The main thing is that victory will go to Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm again.”

André Lotterer: "I’m proud about having been selected by such a successful team as Audi Sport. This is a major step in my career. I’ll give my best for Audi to recapture the Le Mans trophy. Last year, as a Le Mans rookie, I learned a lot in the R10 TDI of the Kolles team – particularly because my team-mate and I had to contest the race as a team of two. Now I’ve got the chance to compete for a top-class team. Consequently, I’ve just got a single goal: victory!”

Benoît Treluyer: "For me, a dream is coming true. I’d never have expected to immediately get a slot with a ‘factory’ team for Le Mans after my return from Japan – and, what’s more, together with my best friend Andre Lotterer, and with Marcel Fässler with whom I started my career in Formula Campus. That really can’t be topped! We’ve got a car in which we can clinch overall victory. Before signing the agreement with Audi I watched the team while it was testing. The way they work and the attitude at Audi are exactly what I was looking for.”

A brief overview of the three new Audi drivers

Marcel Fässler (CH): * May 27, 1976 in Einsiedeln (CH); residence: Gross (CH); married to Isabel, 4 daughters (Shana, Elin, Yael, Delia); height: 1.78 m; weight: 78 kg; motorsport since 1985; Le Mans starts: 4

André Lotterer (D): * Nov 19, 1981 in Duisburg (D); residence: Tokyo (J); single; height: 1.84 m; weight: 74 kg; motorsport since 1989; Le Mans starts: 1

Benoît Treluyer (F): * Dec 7, 1976 in Alençon (F); residence: Gordes (F); married to Melanie, 1 son (Jules); height: 1.78 m; weight: 65 kg; motorsport since 1983; Le Mans starts: 5
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

so who will be the other six?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
    Again, the ALMSFans board for more... americanlemansfans.com • Login
    We need a login to view this.
    "Consider all things - the events of your past and the possibilities for tommorow.
    Let nothing stop you from becoming the architect of your future." - Nicholas Hill

Aston Martin Announces 2010 Racing Plans

Press release:

Aston Martin Racing will enter two Works LMP1 cars bearing the iconic blue and orange livery of Gulf Oil in the 2010 Le Mans 24 Hours.

The British team exceeded all expectations at La Sarthe in 2009 by finishing fourth overall, having been quickest of the petrol powered prototypes from start to finish in its maiden LMP1 outing.

In addition, Aston Martin Racing will compete in three races prior to the Le Mans 24 Hours with one LMP1 car. The races will provide the team with valuable on-track experience prior to Le Mans and include the first two rounds of the American Le Mans Series – the 12 hours of Sebring on 20 March and the Long Beach Grand Prix on 17 April and the opening round of the European Le Mans Series at Paul Ricard in France on 11 April.

Aston Martin Racing drivers, Chris Buncombe (GB), Stefan Mücke (DE), Harold Primat (CH) and Darren Turner (GB) return for the 2010 season and will be joined by experienced sports car driver Adrian Fernández (MX).

Fernández is new to Aston Martin but no stranger to sports car racing and the American Le Mans Series having won the LMP2 class outright in 2009.

The team will also compete in selected blue riband races around the world post Le Mans, details of the remaining race programme and sixth driver will be subject to further announcements in the coming weeks.

The LMP1 cars will be powered by the same Aston Martin V12 engine which forms the basis for the Aston Martin DBS, V12 Vantage, DB9 and forthcoming four-door Aston Martin Rapide.

“Having won the Le Mans Series Team and Driver titles in 2009 it will be a hard act to follow,” said Aston Martin Racing Team Principal, George Howard-Chappell. “However, we are looking forward to a great season of racing and we hope to have another strong showing at Le Mans. I’d like to welcome Adrian to the team, I’m sure with his experience he will be a great addition to our driver line-up.”

(Ted Joans)

Audi will race in the Le Mans Series season opener at Paul Ricard

Press release:

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Motorsport
    To further prepare for the 2010 24 Hours of Le Mans, Audi Sport is planning an additional racing commitment with the Audi R15 TDI that has undergone additional development. For April 11, the participation in the 8-hour race at Le Castellet in southern France is planned for testing purposes.

Originally, the diesel racing sports car that is internally designated as "R15 plus” was to make its racing debut at the 1000-kilometer race at Spa-Francorchamps. The Belgian endurance classic continues to be on Audi Sport Team Joest’s race schedule as the final dress rehearsal for Le Mans. However, to complement these plans, Audi Sport also wants to use the season opener of the 2010 Le Mans Series (LMS) on the high-speed circuit at Le Castellet to test the "R15 plus” in racing conditions.

"We’re on schedule with the additional developments we’re making on the R15 TDI and so this race should be possible,” says Head of Audi-Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. "Le Castellet is a race track that lends itself pretty well to testing for Le Mans, and we’ve frequently used this circuit for our Le Mans preparation. The 8-hour race distance makes the race of further interest to us.”

Purely for logistical reasons, Audi Sport Team Joest has registered for the 2010 Le Mans Series. "But this should not at all be interpreted to mean that we will be contesting all five LMS races,” said Dr. Ullrich. "At the moment, we are only planning to race at Le Castellet, Spa-Francorchamps and Silverstone.”

The 1000-kilometer race at Silverstone (Great Britain) on September 12 will mark the finale of the 2010 Le Mans Series and simultaneously kicks off the Le Mans Intercontinental Cup, which Audi Sport Team Joest will tackle with two R15 TDI cars.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Press release:
    It seems to me that if you're racing 3 out of 5 you might as well go for the other two.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    We need a login to view this.
    Yrs. And you need to log in here to post, so...

wwgkd - "It seems to me that if you're racing 3 out of 5 you might as well go for the other two."
    They're (audi's) reasoning is in the press release. (So for that matter is A/M's)

jimclark

The Le Mans Series have a very impressive 44-car entry-list:

Le Mans Series - Course d'endurance 1000 km

Note the presence of two Works Audis. Oreca will race both their own car and a Peugeot. Former LMP2 champions RML have switched to a Honda V8 engine.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    so who will be the other six?
    A quote form yhe ALMSFans site:

"They still are Audi factory drivers. The speculation is that Luhr and Werner will not drive the R15 at Le Mans, but still be part of the factory squad in other races (probably with the R8 LMS - for the Nurburgring 24, for example).

I believe Rocky still has a seat for Le Mans.

If I understand it correctly their LM lineup will be:

McNish/Capello/Kristensen
    Rockenfeller/Bernhard/Dumas
    Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer"

Aaahhhh...the silly season....

jimclark

Thread Information