Yes. Contactless charging methods have become a field of some interest for electric equipment manufacturers. Products have been developed that allow charging of a mobile telephone, or similar device, with an inductive antenna inside, by simply placing it on a powered panel. Infrared transmission, for longer distances, has also been given some thought, but such "beam" power transmission has problems with aiming the beam, and with safety, in case someone walks through the beam. Also, all of these systems have been necessarily less efficient than a direct contact system. If the claim of 97% efficiency holds up, this will be easily the most efficient system that I have heard of. Some systems quote an efficiency as low as 50%, and that is easily enough to negate the benefits of electric drive, as long as the electricity comes from the grid (Green machine: Plug-free electric cars' hidden cost - tech - 02 August 2010 - New Scientist).

The inductive charging is a great way to improve the marketability of electric cars, but I would foresee problems with the distribution of the electricity, and with methods of billing for its use. Also, 10kw would probably not be enough (I would estimate) to maintain highway speeds in most cars, and such long-distance travel is where this technique would be most attractive. It would help to slow the rate of discharge of the car battery, and extend the car's range though, and I am sure that development will help to increase its power transfer capacity.

I have been most impressed today by this. It is probably the most extreme incarnation of my ideal that I have seen, and is roughly the motorcycle equivalent of the Daihatsu Mira E:s. I know that it comes with all of the practical and safety limitations of a motorcycle, but it is a great example of how it is possible to travel extremely efficiently, with a device that is also very simple, cheap, and very attractive.