Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel cars in America

Now Pieter, you'll be claiming HP is a better unit than kW next

Without torque there can be no power.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    £5 a gallon and you see why folks over here buy diesel.
    tbh the likes of the Skoda Fabia VRS diesel is as competent a sports saloon as many other "sport" petrol cars out there
    My sis embarrasses many a larger "more powerful" car when she choses to use the TORQUE and not have to change gears in accelerating on motorways
    I suppose given the price of juice she doesnt get many chances to try it out against these.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Now that's just taking the pish C

Maybe I should have added for the same price ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Now that's just taking the pish C

Maybe I should have added for the same price ??
    I have just asked Peugeot if they could convert one of their redundant V12 prototypes for street use. I am still waiting for an answer....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Or if you have a petrol (or diesel) car you could just... you know... use the lever between the seats.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Remember it takes time to change gear .. time that means you lose acceleration

Then I'll make the diesel lose enough revs so that it experiences turbo lag and destroy it.
    Visca Catalunya!

ah but Ferrer, can you not hear Pieter tell you again .... you dont need to change down a gear to find the torque in a diesel

and I was meaning going up the way too !!

But if it's about "making" it fail then a petrol car in 6th gear at 40mph for the lolz

Get a sequential 'box then.. or just faster reactions.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

NO matter how fast your reactions are you lose time.

The best improvement you make in the OMS single seater ( in ours ) and caterham et all bike engine race cars is a throttle interruptor and program it to match the power band and gear ratios.

THink of it as the driveline. ANY time there is not a direct linkage between the engine and the wheels then you are failing to transfer the torque and thus no acceleration - ie coasting - during the gear change. A sequential box is only a different selection mechanism and still has the issue. Unless you go doubel clutch and gear internals you will always lose. Now coming away from the crazies of racing for a mo' .... few street cars have sequential and doubel clutches. SO keepign it practical comparison, you lose in ordinary cars when you're seeking torque by changing gears to match an engine which jsut delivers torque.

Can't get away from practicalities, even if it IS in a horrible nasty smelling oil burner

Can't get away from practicalities, even if it IS in a horrible nasty smelling oil burner
    Only practicality is fuel consumption.

Everything else can be counteracted by good petrol engine with the appropriate technologies...
    Visca Catalunya!

I think that gas in North America is getting to the price point where people are more likely to consider diesel as a viable option - and that is good. If you want good mileage for a cheap price, and are just commuting, why not just go the diesel route? According to GasBuddy.com, Toronto has the highest average gas price of major Canadian cities at CDN $1.390/litre (Euro 1.000/litre, 5.260 USD/gallon), and Chicago the highest of the US cities at USD $4.47/gallon (CDN $1.181, Euro $0.857/litre). These prices may not seem high to Europeans, but they certainly are high for North American tastes. Einstein said it best: it's all relative.

VW has the bargain diesel niche nailed; I think it might make sense for another automaker to compete in the value end of the segment here in NA.

I see quite a few VW diesels here; Benz SUV diesels are creeping in. I actually drove an ML 350 Bluetec at the Canadian International Auto Show and it was pretty damn cool (as an aside, I also drove a Lexus CT200h, Toyota Prius, and Mitsubishi i-MIEV at the Green Show here a few weeks ago).

Definately ferrer, more cc's , more fuel, bigger engine can all make up for it all at mroe cost

Definately ferrer, more cc's , more fuel, bigger engine can all make up for it all at mroe cost
    Or shorter gearing will give you better acceleration with the same engine.

However, equal displacement and induction method, I've never seen a diesel engine that's more performing than a petrol one. Of coruse as you say, don't look at the fuel consumption though...
    Visca Catalunya!

BUT shorter gearign then means havin gto change gears more often and then you're back at losign time with gear changes

Agree with you on size, but it's liek comparing a rotary or a turbine. Different fuel burning system so comparisons dont work.

Thread Information