Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Perfection

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post

perception being that its funny to see diesel so determindly presented as ' universal automotive perfection ' .. defended in particular by lower fuel costs .. apparently disregarding other markets which experience a directly opposite rationale against diesel, and in favour of LPG
    the words automotive perfection were intended for the TVR, not for the diesel engine.
    I like the charateristics of the diesel engine, regardless of the price of fuel. That it is cheaper in Holland in a bonus, but I would not hesitate buying the same car in Switzerland were diesel is more expensive than petrol. (and where probably the road tax is not as perverse as in Holland)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    All I want to say is that my first reaction was about CMC comment that the Renault Diesel would be the guaranteed way to get the G37 slower. It might be, but looking at the real possibilities of a diesel engine, not to the extent that CMC implied.
    i agree that a diesel might not necessarily be slow... and in fact with the gobs of torque available, the real world potential of diesels is fantastic.

i think a diesel would not fit the character of the G. the Z is often characterized in european car reviews as an old school muscle car. the G is just a 2+2 Z, so the driving is the same. big, brutish, tail happy, and loving to rev to 8k+. it has lots of torque as is and you can stay in 6th and never downshift in the motorway, but is really happy when you run through the gears and rev the hell out of it. i dont think the attitude of a diesel suits the G in its sportscar guise. maybe the sedan, and the other infinti models, the M, FX and EX, the diesel would work, just not the G coupe.

my .02
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

the words automotive perfection were intended for the TVR
    very erroneous application of the term, even more so than any diesels mentioned in this thread perhaps
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i agree that a diesel might not necessarily be slow... and in fact with the gobs of torque available, the real world potential of diesels is fantastic.

i think a diesel would not fit the character of the G. the Z is often characterized in european car reviews as an old school muscle car. the G is just a 2+2 Z, so the driving is the same. big, brutish, tail happy, and loving to rev to 8k+. it has lots of torque as is and you can stay in 6th and never downshift in the motorway, but is really happy when you run through the gears and rev the hell out of it. i dont think the attitude of a diesel suits the G in its sportscar guise. maybe the sedan, and the other infinti models, the M, FX and EX, the diesel would work, just not the G coupe.

my .02
    I would actually not be surprised if driving a BMW 335D would give you the opportunity to emulate much of the Z's behaviour, (except for the revving of course). However, the combination of the words "Sport" and "revs" today is less self evident, given the performance of the winners of the LMS/LeMans/ALMS sports car series as well as the WTC.
    I will admit though that when we had the Fiat 850 Coupe in 1967 I was very much aware where the redline was (6200) and how far I could go over it, but that was purely, as I realise now, because below 4000 there was no power to speak of. (don't say that above 4000 there was power to speak of, this is all relative)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Just one more thing, this low down power it's not exclusive of diesels, petrol engines can also have it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Just one more thing, this low down power it's not exclusive of diesels, petrol engines can also have it.
    sure, but diesels have just a little bit more

sure, but diesels have just a little bit more
    they also have more stuff to obtain that, like more turbos, direct injection and others. Just give some times to the modern petrol engines and, at least speaking of small cars, you could say goodbye to diesels.

it's not going to be a fair comparison any time soon though, in both ways.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    they also have more stuff to obtain that, like more turbos, direct injection and others.
    even if petrol cars have that, there low end power of a comparable diesel is still greater. and petrol engines have stuff that diesels don't have like spark plugs and ignitions....Rotary engines have things that piston engines don't have, but is that actually relevant?
    If you are around at Villa Erbe at the end of April we can give you a ride....

even if petrol cars have that, there low end power of a comparable diesel is still greater. and petrol engines have stuff that diesels don't have like spark plugs and ignitions....Rotary engines have things that piston engines don't have, but is that actually relevant?
    I was planning something about that event
    besides, my point was that considering the similarities between petrol and diesel engines, there are parts that could be used by both but only present in on of them, being the diesel or the petrol (even if a diesel can't use spark plugs while a petrol can use pressurized fuel, for instance).
    actually you got the real point. the comparison isn't working at all to a certain extent, being to different things both technically and from the point of view of the driver.
    and yes, a diesel has more low end torque period.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

likewise, in august you can test out a VQ

likewise, in august you can test out a VQ
    take me to Lorelles Grade....

take me to Lorelles Grade....
    you mean here?

and its Laurel's Grade
    Attached Images Attached Images

you mean here?

and its Laurel's Grade
    Laureles Grade it is.....

Laureles Grade it is.....
    one of my favorite local roads... and its only about 10 minutes away. i have made it a point that on most friday afternoons i go for a long drive by myself, and that road is almost always on the route. problem is, traffic can be heavy in the afternoon, so you have to go slow for a while to build a gap. or just pull off and take pictures.

one of my favorite local roads... and its only about 10 minutes away. i have made it a point that on most friday afternoons i go for a long drive by myself, and that road is almost always on the route. problem is, traffic can be heavy in the afternoon, so you have to go slow for a while to build a gap. or just pull off and take pictures.
    I drove an RS4 Convertible up that road. That was quite a change from our Mustang Convertible!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information