Thread: tough times for Toyota Oz

tough times for Toyota Oz

So Toyota Australia sacks 350 people due to the strong $AUS. I can’t help but see the irony that Toyota, manufacturing ostensibly “world class” cars in the form of Camries etc are up against it while Holden and Ford to a lesser extent are surviving (just) by building cars that are in most modern terms “wrong”.

Ford deleted V8s from its range back when the oil crisis (one of them) was upon us and Holden all but did the same. The days of the big V8s were over. The days of big cars were numbered. Mitsubishi came to the rescue of Chrysler (Valiant) and built the Sigma, a rear wheel drive car with a large 4 cyl that was eventually replaced by the front wheel drive Magna that eventually wasn’t replaced.

The two Japanese manufacturers who had every reason to succeed and take over from the traditional Aussie builders are in the case of Mitsubishi Australia gone, and Toyota, almost incredibly facing tough times. Toyota will survive without manufacturing in Australia and I can see the same writing on the wall for them as we did for Mitsubishi. I doubt that it will be as drawn out though.

Holden has been building bigger cars since the introduction of the first Commodore (which was a step back in size from the old Kingswoods). And bigger V8s. Ford stayed with the larger size cars and eventually got back into V8s although their engines are a bit of a mish mash and their turbo 6 seems the ick. In any case they are big cars with thirsty motors and they are popular.

I am unashamedly a Holden fan but even those who aren’t would have to say they have made the most of their very limited opportunities. Taken what would have been perceived by all but us rear drive large sedan relics as endangered and found markets to support the limited opportunities domestically. The Middle East, back to the US and in limited numbers to the UK. I mean who would think the poms would buy a large rear wheel drive with a proper engine! Lol ;-P

I have no doubt that eventually we will all be driving cars made in China and probably India but it is, as I said Ironic that the dinosaurs may be the last of the Aussie beasts to become extinct.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

It helps that Ford and Holden have been assisted by governmental policies, but not as much as in the way back times. I think there is a place for RWD sedans in the current market, but the parent companies need to step up and globalise the platforms.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Mitsubishi got plenty of help. I dont know Toyotas story but I bet they get help too. Holden and Ford actually bore the brunt of the pregressive roll back of government protection and imprt tarriffs. It ultimately helped them but it cost jobs indirectly. They really are success stories and a credit to both workers and managment.

They all get help because if they didn't they would have been gone by now with labour costs and now the dollar where it is.

It's the only way to keep them considering how much money other countries are throwing around to get manufacturing up and going(India,Thailand and China).
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

300 people will lose their job at GM Holden here (Adelaide). All the best and my prayers go to the people who lost their job at Toyota and Holden.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    300 people will lose their job at GM Holden here (Adelaide). All the best and my prayers go to the people who lost their job at Toyota and Holden.
    Apparently temporary staff but ironic given Holden actually posted an increase in sales due to the Cruze.

hate to see this...

Thread Information