Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Declaring War on bad fuel economy

Declaring War on bad fuel economy

yes im back with my mad rants on bad fuel economy in my sister's 01 corolla ce ... its just plain sad now, im getting 9km per litre, 11.1 L/100km or about 21.5mpg (US gallons)

I've narrowed down my options to this, fuel addatives to clean fuel lines (maybe they're clogged i dont know), change spark plugs (i should do this either way the damn car has 136000km or 84 000 miles), or change the oxygen sensor ... which is REALLY not an option since i cant diagnose it or even check the damn thing, which doesnt justify shelling hundreds of dollars on the thing.

its winter now in toronto and we're getting quite a bit of snow which is partially responsible for the crappy mileage but this time its personal, i want to squeeze every damn mile from my gallon (km from litre for us canucks).

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I can't blame ya, 21.5mpg is pretty sad for a corolla. They're sposed to get 10mpg more than that. I hear ya too on the diagnosis thing, that's what I've been saying all along about computerized cars: they get expensive.

I'm sure you'd have noticed this by now, but have you checked to make sure you don't have a dragging brake? That'd tank the mileage. Is the engine running rough at all? You might have a vacuum leak, too, although that's unlikely.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

dragging brake? im assuming u mean hand brake, yeah its not doing that

i found out actually cuz i left the handbrake up a couple weeks ago and i instantly felt it so it wouldnt be that.

im thinking it might be the quality of fuel cuz ive only been filling up at shell for the last 3 months (my dad insists on going to shell cuz they have a promotional thingy)

vacuum leak ... dont know what that is, im assuming its some thing thats suppose to operate in a vacuum but air gets in ??

Any of the brake calipers or shoes can get stuck and drag, creating a braking force when you drive. Sometimes it's handbrake, most times it's the normal brakes that aren't properly adjusted or some such thing.

The Vacuum leak is basically extra air getting into the engine when it shouldn't. It creates a lean condition to the o2 sensor, so the engine squirts in more fuel, thereby lowering fuel economy. You'll know you have it because the engine runs roughly, and hesitates a little at low engine speeds. It may even occasionally stall, but not necessarily. If you can, get a vacuum tester, hook it up to where a vacuum hose goes into the intake manifold, and see what kind of vacuum it pulls. It should be around 15-18" Hg.

put 1 of them tornado fuel savers do a tuneup of you haven't done it, 84k miles should have allready been done.(a tune-up changes everything from spark plugs to the wires and a bunch of other stufF)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

The tornados don't really do anything, but a tune-up might. It's amazing how it can really change your car's demeanor.

I was getting terrible fuel economy on my Mini because the fuel cap seal had cracked and fuel was splashing out of the tank when cornering Probably not an issue on a more modern car with a longer filler neck.

Maybe change the air filter? A vaccum leak as suggested could screw up the mixture. That could be from a leaking manifold gasket, or the vacuum pipe to the brake servo (booster).

is there anyway to visually inspect for a leaky vacuum hose?
    the air filter is fine i changed it just a month ago, what's a tornado kit?

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    is there anyway to visually inspect for a leaky vacuum hose?
    the air filter is fine i changed it just a month ago, what's a tornado kit?
    First, yes, but it can be hard if it follows a circuitous route Basically pull at the joints and connections and listen. You can often hear a slight noise. Eyeballing it is about the only guaranteed way - or take them off and pressure test them.
    Tornado kit = scam
    It produces a vortex in the incoming air.
    The fact that the car designer spent millions develping an intake plenum to optimise the economy and performance seems to have passed these guys by If you REALLY want to spend money on the intake end, just get a decent filter and ireduce the restriction on flow and it will do 10 times more than this POS

It has nothing to do with but equally useless
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

i just did a simple calculation

my 9 km per litre becomes 21.5 (give or take) mpg (us gallons) and becomes 26 mpg (UK gallons), is this normal for people in the uk? anyone have experience with a civic or corolla there from 2001 give or take a couple years?

i remember from top gear jeremy said if you drive a normal honda civic normally/everyday driving, ud get about 26 mpg which is what mine is (appx), he also said his mom's honda jaz gets 270 miles from a tank, how big exactly is a honda jazz fuel tank and what is it's fuel economy?

wutever it is im still assuming mine is quite a bit off average, and way off the claimed efficiency of the car. my friend who drives a 2003 avalon is going to check his average fuel economy and see how it compares with mine, the last time i was in his car he got 6-7 L/100km while moving at constant velocity 60kph about 35mph so im intrested in seeing how mine compares with his ... unfrotunately i dont have such a sophisticated trip computer

I'd say go for the oxygen sensor. If nothing else seems wrong and the car is running fine, there's a good chance that it's the problem. With that kind of milage, it would seem fairly realistic, too.

Have you checked that the EGR valve is functioning properly? That could also be the problem.

what's an egr valve, how do you check oxygen sensor?

what's an egr valve, how do you check oxygen sensor?
    EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation - it's an emissions device that reintroduces part of the exhaust gases back into the intake manifold so that it burns cooler and more cleanly. Because of what's involved, it is one of the more likely things to clog in a car (especially one that has gone a while without a tune-up).

I've replaced a few oxygen sensors before but I don't actually know how you would go about checking one. Luckily, I found some stuff online:

The following symptoms will help tip you off to a failed oxygen sensor:

Surging and/or hesitation
    Decline in fuel economy
    Unacceptable exhaust emissions
    Premature failure of the catalytic converter

You will need the following equipment:

A handheld volt meter (digital VOM)
    A propane enrichment device
    An oxygen sensor socket
    The manufacturer's vehicle specific test instructions.

Doesn't sound like something too easy to do yourself, but I know that it won't take very long (like 10 minutes or so) at a shop.

From what you've said so far, I'm almost positive that you need a new oxygen sensor. It sucks that these tend to be more expensive on Toyotas, but you'll be spending a lot more on gas over time if it is actually what's to blame.

i just did a simple calculation

my 9 km per litre becomes 21.5 (give or take) mpg (us gallons) and becomes 26 mpg (UK gallons), is this normal for people in the uk? anyone have experience with a civic or corolla there from 2001 give or take a couple years?

i remember from top gear jeremy said if you drive a normal honda civic normally/everyday driving, ud get about 26 mpg which is what mine is (appx), he also said his mom's honda jaz gets 270 miles from a tank, how big exactly is a honda jazz fuel tank and what is it's fuel economy?

wutever it is im still assuming mine is quite a bit off average, and way off the claimed efficiency of the car. my friend who drives a 2003 avalon is going to check his average fuel economy and see how it compares with mine, the last time i was in his car he got 6-7 L/100km while moving at constant velocity 60kph about 35mph so im intrested in seeing how mine compares with his ... unfrotunately i dont have such a sophisticated trip computer
    No, 21.5mpg is terrible for that kind of car. I got 26mpg in my Focus, driving like a teenager. My Dad got 23mpg in his former Passat 4-motion V6 station wagon, both were automatics. And our old Saturn SL1 with 5-speed stick actually returned bout 35 (although it was a terrible car besides).

If it's an O2 sensor you will most likely have a CEL. This place sells O2 sensors at a discount.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information