Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MS Vista goes on sale

MS Vista goes on sale

Well, it fanally went on sale to the general public. What are your thoughts on it? Is anyone here going to upgrade? If you are, why? If you're not, why not?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

From what I've read, it's essentially "a warmed over XP". I won't be upgrading for a while, XP Media Center is serving my needs quite well right now. I got Office Professional 2007 today, which launched alongside Vista. Can't say I like the new interface.

I've been on the Vista Beta for a few months now. I like it a lot.

I'll prob. buy it eventually.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    From what I've read, it's essentially "a warmed over XP". I won't be upgrading for a while, XP Media Center is serving my needs quite well right now. I got Office Professional 2007 today, which launched alongside Vista. Can't say I like the new interface.
    I have XP Media Center also on my desktop and I feel the same as you. I won't be upgrading for a while. Doesn't the Vista interface remind anyone of the Mac OS X interface?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    I have XP Media Center also on my desktop and I feel the same as you. I won't be upgrading for a while. Doesn't the Vista interface remind anyone of the Mac OS X interface?
    They're definitely pretty similar in style. It's the 'glass' look that makes it seem like MacOS X, along with the 'gadgets', but that's just about it.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    They're definitely pretty similar in style. It's the 'glass' look that makes it seem like MacOS X, along with the 'gadgets', but that's just about it.
    i would quite like vista home premium but its £166 what has it got over basic? i should see for myself..
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    i would quite like vista home premium but its £166 what has it got over basic? i should see for myself..
    A bunch of bells and whistles pretty much. It looks fancier, and you get more apps I believe.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Well I certainly won't be switching

At the moment I have a dual-boot setup with openSuse 10.2 and XP. I only have to have XP on,because of the school programs

I watched the video's and it doesnt seem to be offereing that much more,except a new interface. My mission is to keep my system as much as possible MS-free

its all about performance for me, whether or not itll make the most of my dual core 64-bit setup or not so much for the money

From my experiences with vista and reading some reviews this is what I have concluded:

Vista looks better and is better well behaved. How ever, it does not perform nearly as well. I say this because of these reasons:

1.) Lack of support for OpenGL. Anything that uses this will simply not run right on vista.
    2.) resource intensive environemnt means alot of computing power just goes into running the system (this is to be expected I guess)
    3.) Benchmarking in things like encoding, PCMark ect are actually slower in vista than XP. There is no perception of applications loading / working faster.

It will be interesting to see how things go. I am waiting, then I might consider to upgrade when the first patches are released.
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

Didn't expect so much XP support here. If it helps at all, since I've been on Vista, I haven't, and don't want to use XP again. It's so, old fashioned.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    its all about performance for me, whether or not itll make the most of my dual core 64-bit setup or not so much for the money
    Here you go: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/...sta/index.html

There's almost no difference in benchmarking softwares, though there are some imcompatibilities with some softwares but they managed to get them working eventually. I've heard from somebody with a X1950XTX that he saw no difference in gaming performance between XP and Vista. Not bad for a brand new OS, but -1 because it conflicts with antivirus softwares until MS fixes this with SP1.

Even so I would switch because I love that Vista theme too much and it's the last thing I need for DX10, aside from the game itself.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Does this mean if you buy a new PC from a company you can get Vista in it? Or is it just for sale individually?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Does this mean if you buy a new PC from a company you can get Vista in it? Or is it just for sale individually?
    I would think you get Vista, if not now, fairly soon.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I am extremely disappointed with how they are going about their "content protection". This alone would give it a worse rating in most benchmarks. I am sure that there are other unadvertised resource draining "features" embedded in Vista:
    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7675

Thread Information