Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossovers < SUV's

so the title of the thread should in fact be changed to "crossovers < SUVs... 10% of the time for a very small percentage of the population."
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

A ferrari California is a better every day car than a 458 italia (going to work, being stuck in traffic, driving on crappy roads, going to the store, obeying speed limits, ect...) 99% of the time. But 1% of the time when an owner actually really pushes their car such as at the track or breaking the law on normal roads and freeways the 458 italia is the better car. And only a small portion of the population of ferrari owners actually take their cars to the track.

So does that mean that a California is a better car than the 458 Italia? or does that mean a thread about the 458 italia should be titled "458 Italia's are one of the best ferrari's ever made 1% of the time, for a small percentage of the population"?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3064x5_aE[/ame]

This is quite cool.

To be fair, I think the truck's RWD, but you guys get the idea.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 12-09-2009 at 12:46 PM.

no, but you did an excellent job of demonstrating my point that blanket qualification of something that is inherently contentious is just plain silly. so a crossover is not for you, but then again your specific uses for your vehicle are very different than most people here, and indeed most of the population. and i bet that very few people would actually get more utility out of a suburban than a smaller crossover type vehicle. and i'll include a majority of those suburban owners in the field as well.

Do you honestly think that the point of this thread was to argue that SUV's are better than crossovers? It wasn't, the whole point was to tell a story about what happened in the neighborhood this morning while taking a little jab at crossovers. I used a catchy, silly title because this was meant to be a light hearted story telling thread. It should have been obvious that I wasn't actually trying to say that all SUV's are better than all crossovers all the time for all people when the only thing I talked about was the inadequacy of crossovers when there is deep snow on the ground and it says a lot about crossover capabilities when I have to pull them down the street in my suburban. If I was really trying to say that SUV's are better than crossovers as a class, for all purposes, all the time I probably would have used other points other than one cold december morning in Nebraska.

I said multiple times throughout this thread that crossovers are great vehicles for every day use but that sometimes you just need the real deal. Ive agreed with several other people on this thread, multiple times, who said basically the same thing you said in the last 2 or 3 sentences of your last post and once again, I agree with you.

Now, while we are on the topic. I think it is silly to compare vehicles across classes because you are comparing apples to oranges.

SUV's are probably "better" (I use better here in the way that a Ferrari is "better" than a toyota camry) overall vehicles than crossovers. They are bigger, they are usually nicer, they have a lot more power, they can tow, and they have much better off road capabilities. In sum, an SUV can do more than a crossover can.

But at the same time Crossovers are probably more practical overall vehicles than crossovers for more people. They drive much better in town, they are easier to maneuver, they fit in a garage, and they generally have better gas mileage (although not always the case). For a lot of people who buy SUV's, they could probably get one of the bigger crossovers and be just as well off, if not better.

Thiss is why I dont really like to compare across classes. For SUV stuff an SUV is a better car. For car stuff, a crossover is a better car than an SUV. Crossovers weren't meant to "out-suv" an suv, they were meant to "out-suv" a car and thats whats great about them. They give you a lot of the benefits of an SUV without the stigma of a station wagon or minivan and without the issues that come with SUV's.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

i agree with everything you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i agree with everything you just said.
    I agree with everything you just said too

I'd say coolieman has it right. 30 cm or so of snow means it's time to stay home and shovel, not drive on the roads.

An advantage of living in Toronto is the city has excellent snow removal land it's only a few hours after a storm until the main roads are cleared and about a day until the back streets are done.

I can see the utility of an SUV in a place where snow is very common and snow removal is poor. Even still however, a lot of places are shut down after a winter storm.

rooster, im glad that you are using an SUV apropriately (towing, offroading). that is what SUVs are meant to do, not take your kids to a soccer game somewhere in the suburbs.

but the title is indeed provocative.

and yes, the italia is better than the california in EVERyDAy USE TOO. i'd love to be stuck in traffic with an italia.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    and yes, the italia is better than the california in EVERyDAy USE TOO. i'd love to be stuck in traffic with an italia.
    I'm pretty sure we'd all like to be stuck in traffic with any Ferrari, actually.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Perhaps the thread title could have been: A Massey Ferguson 35 is better than an SUV? (given the purpose described here)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

here in NYC our roads are clean before it even starts snowing. NSX, that video was hilarious and the crosstour looks not too bad actually but i looked at the price and screamed...
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

so how is the driving in the snow? is it really hard, tricky or what?

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    here in NYC our roads are clean before it even starts snowing. NSX, that video was hilarious and the crosstour looks not too bad actually but i looked at the price and screamed...
    CrossTour in my opinion might be Honda's Pontiac Aztek. Honestly, I'd like it so much more if they made a wagon instead.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    CrossTour in my opinion might be Honda's Pontiac Aztek. Honestly, I'd like it so much more if they made a wagon instead.
    That's the Accord estate.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information