Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caterham (whats your take?)

Quote Originally Posted by Klemmel View Post
    A Caterham is a car I would make sacrifices to get my hands on. I'd also like to do a Henry Catchpole (of EVO) and try to run one every day for a whole year up here in Norway.
    I've competed in a Sylva Stryker ( 7-copy with improvements ) in early January in Scotland on a NIGHT rally event. After second stage HAD to run with the hood down so I could navigate properly without throwing up. PUlling up to a time check at 1am 3000 feet up on a moor in the middle of nowhere with temperatures below freezing. We were crap ... but the marshals awarded us the "spirit of the event" award - an old Audi hub cap found at the side of the road for our endurance.
    So, K, I'd keep it in a shed for 1/3 of the year

re various other comments.
    YES, easy to spin the tyres up and the V* s the worst as the extra mass AND oodles of torque make it very difficult NOT to smoke.
    BEST engines are bike based due to lots of power, torque not necessary due to lightweight and sequential box to bang up the gears to maximise acceleration
    7s are one of the easiest cars to get balanced properly and one of the easiest to completely screw the balance !!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-01-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    there is an F20C clubman build in another forum somewhere, it looks mental!

just drive fast enough so the rain doesn't hit you
    Hehe. I tried that once when I got caught out on along drive with no top on my jeep. Ended up buying a cheapo squeegee at a gas station along the way since at higher speeds (above 65mph) the rain curls in and hits the back of the windshield, where there are no wipers.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Whereas that's a perfectly serviceable solution, it's kinda hard when the speed limit is 40 and there's speed bumps all over the place. Still.. I suppose I could try and get some air..
    Do it. Post videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    I've competed in a Sylva Stryker ( 7-copy with improvements ) in early January in Scotland on a NIGHT rally event. After second stage HAD to run with the hood down so I could navigate properly without throwing up. PUlling up to a time check at 1am 3000 feet up on a moor in the middle of nowhere with temperatures below freezing. We were crap ... but the marshals awarded us the "spirit of the event" award - an old Audi hub cap found at the side of the road for our endurance.
    So, K, I'd keep it in a shed for 1/3 of the year

re various other comments.
    YES, easy to spin the tyres up and the V* s the worst as the extra mass AND oodles of torque make it very difficult NOT to smoke.
    BEST engines are bike based due to lots of power, torque not necessary due to lightweight and sequential box to bang up the gears to maximise acceleration
    7s are one of the easiest cars to get balanced properly and one of the easiest to completely screw the balance !!
    Props for that.

It's not like the Levantes V8 is all that heavy, nor a torque monster. I've actually seen turbocharged 4 bangers that weighed more and produced more torque. Probably wouldn't put a normal V8 in it. Really, as enamored as I was with the S2000 powertrain when it came out, if I didn't go for the Levante I think I'd have to go for a cosworth powertrain. Partly cause they are light and still get it done in the power department, and partly for the history.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Whereas that's a perfectly serviceable solution, it's kinda hard when the speed limit is 40 and there's speed bumps all over the place. Still.. I suppose I could try and get some air..
    all i'm hearing is excuses
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

all i'm hearing is excuses
    I tell you what, you pay the fines and I'll start the experiments...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I tell you what, you pay the fines and I'll start the experiments...
    Just can't stop with the excuses can you?

Tell you what, if you get video of it airborn, and of you getting pulled over, and of you flirting with the cops (male or female) to try to get out of the ticket, I figure that would be worth kicking in $20. And $20 american is like eleventy billion AUD, right?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Just can't stop with the excuses can you?

Tell you what, if you get video of it airborn, and of you getting pulled over, and of you flirting with the cops (male or female) to try to get out of the ticket, I figure that would be worth kicking in $20. And $20 american is like eleventy billion AUD, right?
    Actually at the moment it's about A$22.. but hey, close enough. Alls I need now is the Caterham and then SCIENCE can begin!
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Old school fabric roof hmm, then you'd have to worry about tears and weathering, i'd still stick to the exige.

I think you forgot your purse.

I admit, I love the RS performance powered ones. But seriously if you see them driving around on a track they don't actually spin the tires constantly. If I was on a faster computer I would post a video, but it takes ages to look through them on this thing. Just do a search for Caterham Levante and a couple should show up.
    Haha, what's wrong with a 4 banger?

I appreciate every last bit of hp wrung out.

Any pics or video of this Caterham ride?

you've never seen a caterham?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

you've never seen a caterham?
    Never, ever! I need vids to know what it is. The cave I live in is very deep, soggy, and dark. Please, help! I am not kidding.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 02-05-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Haha, what's wrong with a 4 banger?

I appreciate every last bit of hp wrung out.
    I don't know that I'd say there's anything wrong with them. Just I'd much rather have the V8. and with twice the power from only .4 liter more, I'd say they wrung all they could out of the V8, too.

Edit: Here we go

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWi1-LnANY[/ame]
    Last edited by wwgkd; 02-05-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added V8ness
    Big cities suck

I don't know that I'd say there's anything wrong with them. Just I'd much rather have the V8. and with twice the power from only .4 liter more, I'd say they wrung all they could out of the V8, too.

Edit: Here we go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWi1-LnANY

I love this car. I love the bee like sound, almost like F-1 sound. I love the way it darts around like a go-cart and yet remains composed under conditions that would have wrecked other cars. What sor tof engine does that car have? Is that car for sale? Thats a sweet weekend track car. Thanks for sharing.

Big cities suck

Thanks. This car is so cool.

Thread Information