Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy ZR -1 and Porsche GT2

Chevy ZR -1 and Porsche GT2

Here is a vid which provides some really good assessment of why some cars are better from a dead stop than others, and yet the same cars don't do well from a roll. I have experienced both conditions and i agree with the assessment in the vids (it partly explains why my 6 cylinder G035 coupe can keep up or outperform an 8 cylinder Pontiac G8 Gandprix which has at least 50 more horsepower than I, when moving from a roll in 4th gear) . The argument that one car is faster than the other should be based on the existing and underlying variables presented to both cars, since the existing set of variables and conditions may benefit one car in one environment, and not in the other environment. What do you think?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9AW-EB3vo&feature=channel[/ame]
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 02-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.

suprised at how close they were in a straight line, interesting that the GT2 was able to launch on the poorer surface for an early advantage, and hold on to it.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I don't know what is it that bothers me about the ZR1, must be the body kit and those huge chromed wheels, it's like it has too much going on... the Z06 is much more appealing to me.

i'll still take the GT2 > ZR-1

i'd like to see a 3rd gear pull from like 60
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    i'll still take the GT2 > ZR-1

i'd like to see a 3rd gear pull from like 60
    I too!

All vettes have increadible pull, once they reach third gear and beyond, and at the right rpms. It may smoke a GT2 in 3rd gear. Lower gears is where the vette usually looses. Even my G-35 pulls away from a vette in the first 3 seconds of a launch at lower gears. After those three glorious initial seconds, the game changes in favor of the vette, very dramatically.

I call BS that your G35 is going to beat a Vette in any gear. The Porsche won because, on that surface the ZR1 is traction limited. I've driven both a G35 and a Z51 C6. The G35 is a nice luxury coupe but it isn't all that fast nor all that sporty. The G35 I drove replaced a '97 Z28. The owner felt the Z28 was the better sports car and certainly was the faster of the two. The G35 was a sporty luxury car. It sure as hell isn't going to pull on a lighter, more powerful Corvette in anyplace other than your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    suprised at how close they were in a straight line, interesting that the GT2 was able to launch on the poorer surface for an early advantage, and hold on to it.
    With all that weight over the driving wheels the Porsche has much better traction.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    With all that weight over the driving wheels the Porsche has much better traction.
    Tire compound can make as much difference as well. Also, is it traditional to do a rolling start in what looked like 3rd gear? My understanding of a rolling start was basically first gear, locked in ideling speed and then punching it.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I call BS that your G35 is going to beat a Vette in any gear. The Porsche won because, on that surface the ZR1 is traction limited. I've driven both a G35 and a Z51 C6. The G35 is a nice luxury coupe but it isn't all that fast nor all that sporty. The G35 I drove replaced a '97 Z28. The owner felt the Z28 was the better sports car and certainly was the faster of the two. The G35 was a sporty luxury car. It sure as hell isn't going to pull on a lighter, more powerful Corvette in anyplace other than your imagination.
    Speak for yourself. I have run wih regular vettes twice from a dead stop and the result has been the same. No different from what is on the video I posted up there. And G35 or the 350Z will eat your Z28 for lunch on the track. At least, I eat Dodge Charger R/Ts for lunch on any curvy road. Try it, you might like it.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 02-06-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Porsche driver "treed" him on the standing start, if they both had the same reaction time that race woulda been even closer and the corvette mighta won

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Porsche driver "treed" him on the standing start, if they both had the same reaction time that race woulda been even closer and the corvette mighta won

Every Porsche i have ever come across so far, has an impressive launch. Every regular corvette I have come across, always has a poor launch.

I call BS that your G35 is going to beat a Vette in any gear.
    Seconded. I'd like to take this opportunity to call BS on the G35 beating a g8 also (although this claim is much more believable than the vette claim)
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Speak for yourself. I have run wih regular vettes twice from a dead stop and the result has been the same. No different from what is on the video I posted up there. And G35 or the 350Z will eat your Z28 for lunch on the track. At least, I eat Dodge Charger R/Ts for lunch on any curvy road. Try it, you might like it.
    I didn't say it was my Z28. I said the Z28 belonged to a friend who replaced said Z28 with a G35. Said friend has a long history in motorsports and knows his way around a track. I recounted his opinion.

Having driven a 350Z, G35 and a C6 Corvette I call BS. The Corvette weighs less and has more power. Now if you were to claim your Sentra kick a Corvettes ass I might believe you.

It sure as hell isn't going to pull on a lighter, more powerful Corvette in anyplace other than your imagination.
    It has to be his imagination because he doesn't own a G35
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I didn't say it was my Z28. I said the Z28 belonged to a friend who replaced said Z28 with a G35. Said friend has a long history in motorsports and knows his way around a track. I recounted his opinion.

Having driven a 350Z, G35 and a C6 Corvette I call BS. The Corvette weighs less and has more power. Now if you were to claim your Sentra kick a Corvettes ass I might believe you.

It must feel good being a doubting Thomas, doesn't it? By the way, you haven't driven any 350z or G35 to begin with. I call such a claim BS. And by the way, weight and power are only a few factors to consider about cars. have you taken some heavenly time to determine if the gearing of the Corvette does justice to its power to weight ratio? So much for knowledge about cars. Hahahahahaha!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J4vvR5aklM&feature=related[/ame]
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 02-06-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Thread Information