Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hennessey Venom GT timed at 267.5 mph

Hennessey Venom GT timed at 267.5 mph

A fresh video from the impressive top speed run:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d9y2SFLl44"]Venom GT Runs 265.7 mph Now the Fastest Production Vehicle You Can Buy - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
    Hennessey Performance today announced that on February 9, 2013 its street-legal Venom GT accelerated to 265.7 mph (427.6 km/h) during testing, establishing the exotic hypercar as the world's fastest production vehicle available for public purchase. The top speed run was accomplished over a distance of two miles using a full-production Venom GT. All testing was validated by (2) VBOX 3i GPS-based data logging systems and VBOX officials were on hand to certify the numbers.

"While a Veyron Super Sport did run 267.8 mph, Bugatti speed-limits its production vehicles to 258 mph," said company founder and president, John Hennessey. "Thus, at 265.7 mph the Venom GT is the fastest production car available to the public."

The Venom GT acceleration runs were conducted at the United States Naval Air Station (NAS) Lemoore in Central California using the seventh production Venom GT- a street-legal supercar that makes use of Michelin Pilot Super Sport DOT-approved radial tires, Brembo 4-wheel carbon ceramic disc brakes, and a full interior (replete with high-end stereo, air conditioning, and leather seats). NAS Lemoore was chosen for testing as is home to one of the longest paved runways in North America.

On hand during testing was Captain Eric "Snake" Venoma, Commanding Officer at NAS Lemoore, who was watching over the nearly 200 battle-ready fighter jets (including the largest concentration F/A-18 jets in the world) that were located nearby during the Venom GT top speed runs. In addition, TopGear US Editor, Pat Devereaux was present to witness the top speed testing as part of a story produced for the May 2013 issue of TopGear magazine.

"While the 2.9 mile long runway is more than enough acceleration distance for a F/A-18 fighter jet, it was far too short for the Venom GT to reach it's true top speed," said Hennessey Performance CEO, Don Goldman.

Designed to operate on premium unleaded pump fuel, the Venom GT is powered by a 7.0-liter (427 cubic inch) V-8 engine fed by twin Precision turbochargers that team to produce 1,244 horsepower and 1,155 lb-ft of torque at 19 psi (1.3 bar) of boost pressure. Weighing just 1,244 kg (2,743 lbs), the rear-wheel-drive Venom GT delivers a power-to-weight ratio of 1 horsepower per kilogram of vehicle weight.

In July 2010, a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport (propelled by a 1,200 horsepower quad-turbo 16-cylinder engine) attained a speed of 267.8 mph- 2.1 mph faster than the Venom GT. However, the top speed was achieved using a state of tune that is not available to customers paying the $2.5 million dollar purchase price as a production Veyron SS is speed limited to 257.8 mph. Furthermore, the Veyron SS top speed testing was conducted over the 5.6 mile long straightaway that is part of Volkswagen Group AG's private test track located near Ehra-Lessien, Germany. "Afforded the same distance to accelerate, the Venom GT would exceed 275 mph," said John Hennessey.

In February of 2013, the Venom GT officially became the quickest accelerating production vehicle in the world as it ran 0-300 km/h in 13.63 seconds, thus establishing a new Guinness® WORLD RECORD- a record that was previously held by the Koenigsegg Agera R. While conducting the Guinness® World Record runs, despite marginal traction (due to three days of previous rainfall), the Venom GT accelerated from 0-60 mph in 3.05 seconds, 0-100 mph in 5.88 seconds, ran the standing quarter-mile in 10.29 seconds at 158.83 mph, and ran the standing half-mile in 15.22 seconds at 204.65 mph.

Although Guinness® only recognizes runs made in kilometers per hour (km/h), the Venom GT also set a new unofficial acceleration record of 0-200 miles per hour (mph) in 14.51 seconds as verified by VBOX data. The 0-200 mph record was previous held by the Koenigsegg Agera R that required 17.68 seconds time- 3.027 seconds slower than the Venom GT. By comparison, the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport (powered by a 1200 horsepower, quad-turbocharged, 8.0-liter, 16-cylinder engine channeling power through an all-wheel-drive system) ran 0-200 mph in 22.20 seconds during an AUTOCAR test- 7.69 seconds slower than the Venom GT.

Hennessey plans to only build a total of 29 Venom GTs, with one-third of the production run already being sold. Thus, the Venom GT is not only the quickest and fastest production car in the world, but it is also one of the most exclusive. The heavily carbon-fiber Venom GT costs $1.2 million (USD) plus shipping, not including options. Each vehicle is custom built to order and requires six months for completion.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Although 267.5 mph is nothing more than incredibly impressive for a production car. Reading the press release I get the impression that something is bothering Hennessey.
    More than half of the text is about the VW doing it wrong, they limit there cars, there testtrack is longer, Guinness wants a run in km/h, or Koenigsegg.... and so on....
    It doesn't look like Hennessey is confident about there achievement.

But i must say comparing a stripped out, bonecrushing race car with a luxury VW Veryron or Koenigsegg is a bit lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    But i must say comparing a stripped out, bonecrushing race car with a luxury VW Veryron or Koenigsegg is a bit lame.
    Obviously, this is not a luxury grand tourer like the Veyron but I don't think it's fair to call it a stripped out race car either, especially in comparison to the Koenigsegg.

When "British chap" Richard Meaden from Evo Magazine tested the Venom GT, he found it to be surprisingly refined and easy to drive on real roads. Meaden goes on to say that the Venom GT is "directly comparable to a European supercar like a Carrera GT." Except of course of course when it comes to sheer sheer performance (13:10):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ens-ymqLKDA"]Hennessey Venom GT review - evo Magazine - YouTube[/ame]

What blows me away the car is not that it goes 267.5 MPH, it's how quick it gets there! Seriously, it looks like a normal car running a quarter when it makes the 0-267.5 MPH jolt in just two miles.

The wind noise is something fierce as well.

An impressive feat no doubt but this is just barely a production car. It blurs the line between production car and tuner/kit car.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

If you have the coin, they'll build one for you. That's how Pagani build cars.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Impressive. Would like to see apples-to-apples comparisons though...anyone interested in going into business with me building a dedicated top-speed proving ground?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thought it was a Lotus at first look. Then I did some more reading and in fact it is...

Hennessey is a crook. And bat shit crazy.
    Turning money into memories.

I don't think that the Venom GT is any more a Lotus Exige than the Tesla Roadster is a Lotus Elise.

It's also not the first time a small auto company has used body and structural components from an existing car when they decide to build their own production model. The reason why is because it would be devastatingly expensive for a boutique company that builds less than ten cars per year to sacrifice one of those models for crash testing. See the RUF CTR 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Hennessey is a crook.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    See the RUF CTR 3.

How so?

I agree with you on the RUF. But I dont consider RUF to really be a "production" car company (same with the Saleen S7). These are more tuner cars or kit cars. Pagani and Konigsegg (sp?) are about as far as I go when describing a "production car." Konigsegg is right on the bubble.

On the crook issue. I believe a few years back he was taking people's vipers and money, then not fixing them up and perhaps parting out their cars as well. Does my memory serve me right?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    On the crook issue. I believe a few years back he was taking people's vipers and money, then not fixing them up and perhaps parting out their cars as well. Does my memory serve me right?
    I believe you are correct. I've heard the same thing.

Impressive yes, but is anyone bored of straight out speed runs?

It's one thing to be fast, but who cares when you can't do this stuff on public roads anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Impressive yes, but is anyone bored of straight out speed runs?

It's one thing to be fast, but who cares when you can't do this stuff on public roads anyway?
    My thoughts exactly. How does it do around the track? Does it corner well? The top speed fight is rudimentary and old now. Rather look at lap times or something...

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    My thoughts exactly. How does it do around the track? Does it corner well? The top speed fight is rudimentary and old now. Rather look at lap times or something...
    Well it's still a feat that the Hennessy isn't lifting off and flying away, something the Mercedes CLR couldn't figure out. But it's not the end all or be all of the car.

I don't care too much about lap times either. Unless there's one driver doing EVERY lap, it's very variable too. You need to factor in time of day, humidity, track conditions, traffic, tires used and so on and so forth. It's so subjective.

Interesting information about the "crook" issue. I had not heard of this so thank you for elaborating, RJ and LT.

I do agree that the "top speed battle" been getting boring for really about 10 years now. I could probably make a list of 100 cars that I would rather buy if I had a million dollars burning a hole in my pocket.

That being said, I do have a degree of respect for this car. It's easy to say "anyone could a shoehorn a 1200 HP engine into a 2900 lbs car and have a 300 MPH hyper car" but the fact is, no one had. And as fast as this thing accelerates, I think it actually would be conceivable, albeit illegal, to get it going 220+ MPH on a public highway.

Thread Information