Thread: Spyker admit they are chasing MF1 deal

Spyker admit they are chasing MF1 deal

Dutch sportscar brand Spyker have become the latest name to enter the ring of potential buyers for the MF1 Racing team after the manufacturer confirmed speculation they are in talks about consuming the team for 2007.

Rumours of current owner Alec Schnaider's determination to offload the struggling team he bought in 2005 when it was Jordan Grand Prix are nothing new, with various Dutch consortiums seemingly favourite to clinch the deal, although this speculation is arguably the most serious yet.

Internet company Lost Boys has been the name most linked to MF1 over the previous months, with owner Michiel Mol having opened talks with Schnaider over a possible sale.

Furthermore, Mol's interests stretch into the motor industry where he is currently in the process of purchasing Holland's only current home grown manufacturer, Spyker, a brand that has been making waves in the FIA GT and Le Mans Series with its C8 sportscar.

With Mol's links with MF1 Racing and his determination to expand Spyker's global awareness, he released a statement on the manufacturers' website insisting the deal is set to go ahead, albeit according to various conditions.

“Spyker Cars NV and the M-Consortium confirm that currently negotiations are taking place with the owner of Midland F1 with respect to a possible acquisition by Spyker of the Midland F1 team.

“The outcome of the negotiations is still depending on a number of conditions and circumstances. In the event that such acquisition would materialize, Spyker will consider a share issue to (partially) finance the transaction. M-Consortium has expressed its willingness to subscribe to this issue for a large part.

“At the appropriate time further announcements will be made. In any event the acquisition will be subject to Spyker Shareholders' and Supervisory Board approval.”

The brand's governing body president Victor Muller also confirmed to BNR Nieuwsradio the rumours of their involvement in buying a significant stake in MF1 with a possible view to entering in 2007, citing it as the most profitable form of advertising behind football.

“Formula 1 is for companies such as Spyker an important way to attract attention,” he said. “It is, after football, without doubt the best manner to promote products."

“Formula 1 is no longer heavily loss-making, because TV coverage is divided more evenly for the teams. In the old days, a team got that invested 500 million euros got 80 per cent of TV coverage, but that will change with the new legislation. As from 2008, smaller teams such as Midland more possibilities.”

Should Spyker clinch a deal with MF1 and badge the cars as their own, it will effectively see them become the first manufacturer backed team to enter Formula One since Toyota in 2002. They are unlikely to develop their own engines though, with power set to come from Cosworth.

Formula One proves massively popular in Holland, despite not hosting a grand prix for twenty years. Nonetheless, should the deal come to fruition, current MF1 pilot and national hero Christijan Albers is more than likely to retain his seat, with several names linked to the remaining position, not least MF1 test drivers Markus Winkelhock and Adrian Sutil.
    How about Christijan Albers and Robert Doornbos at a Spyker owned Midland?

I like the topic, they 'admit' to wanting it. Almost makes it seem like they should be ashamed.

I think they should buy it. With a bigger budget the team could move into the midfield. If they do buy Midland, I wonder what it will be called...Spyker-Cosworth?

Spyker is using Audi engines in its GT2 cars...so maybe this is a way to get VAG into F1?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I saw this on the news yesterday... I'm quite excited about it...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Im sorry but this is old news !!! This morning i quickly read in the newspapers the news was confirmed and the deal done They did a big interview with V.Muller. The website spykerf1.com is even reserved yet

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Im sorry but this is old news !!! This morning i quickly read in the newspapers the news was confirmed and the deal done They did a big interview with V.Muller. The website spykerf1.com is even reserved yet
    Yep

Cosworth has been reported as the engine supplier for SpykerF1. Spyker could rebadge the engines if they wish to...

Probable Spyker-Ferrari F1 team

Spyker already announced last week that they are looking to buy the Midland F1 team, whole new is that they are even wanting Ferrari engines. Today Spyker headman Victor Muller travelled to Italy to meet with Jean Todt. Spyker wants the engines because they are losing the current Toyota power to Williams.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Spyker is using Audi engines in its GT2 cars...so maybe this is a way to get VAG into F1?
    All they need is a chipped 1.8T and they could nevAr l0ose!!1111!11
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    All they need is a chipped 1.8T and they could nevAr l0ose!!1111!11
    that is not a 2.4 litre V8.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    Spyker already announced last week that they are looking to buy the Midland F1 team, whole new is that they are even wanting Ferrari engines. Today Spyker headman Victor Muller travelled to Italy to meet with Jean Todt. Spyker wants the engines because they are losing the current Toyota power to Williams.
    Is there a rule against supplying engines to more than one team other than yourself? It's seems odd to me that Toyota wouldn't supply them engines just because they are supplying Williams as well.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Is there a rule against supplying engines to more than one team other than yourself? It's seems odd to me that Toyota wouldn't supply them engines just because they are supplying Williams as well.
    Red Bull might be getting customer Renault engines in 07

I don't think there is such a rule, but I think Toyota can't really build engines for three times. And perhaps they want just one other team to make sure they have good connections and they can co-orperate better. But you might be right about the rule though...

The whole customer engine deal came about when engines had to last two races. This effectively cut engine production in half and to compensate several manufacturers took up producing engines for a customer. A second customer would be a pretty drastic increase in production.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information