Thread: Ross Brawn back in F1...

Ross Brawn back in F1...

After taking a year's 'sabbatical' from Formula 1 last season, former Benetton and Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn has confirmed that he will be coming back to the sport, but as technical director of Honda.

The Brawn-Schumacher dream team that dominated Formula 1 for a decade from 1994 to 2004 was split up at the end of 2006 with the retirement of Michael Schumacher. Brawn decided to take a year out to rethink his future at Ferrari in what was a turbulent year for the Scuderia, a year that saw the firing of long-time Brawn ally Nigel Stepney under a cloud of controversy.

Brawn has decided to move to a fresh challenge with the Honda F1 Racing team, and it will certainly be as big a challenge as he has ever faced. Honda suffered a truly disastrous season in 2007 after promising seasons in 2006 and under the BAR-Honda banner in 2004 and 2005. He has an enormous challenge to turn things around, under what will be a huge weight of expectation from the Japanese manufacturer's big-wigs who have pumped countless millions into the ailing F1 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Brawn
    I am very excited to be joining Honda.

Honda has a proud heritage in Formula One and the opportunity to help the team to realise its potential represents a fantastic new challenge for me in the sport.

The team has already done a great job of giving due consideration to its future and has spent a good deal of time putting in place both people and first class engineering resources to achieve its ambitions.

I look forward to working alongside what I know to be some very talented people and helping Honda to rediscover its winning ways.
    Nick Fry will continue as Honda's Chief Executive, somewhat surprisingly given the team's shambolic form over the past season...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Fry
    One of my main tasks over the past six months has been to attract new talent to Honda and we have made a number of key appointments in the areas of aerodynamics, design, engineering, marketing and on the racing team.

Today's announcement that Ross Brawn is to join our team is a very satisfying conclusion to the process of refreshing and revitalising a strong and determined team. Ross obviously needs no introduction.

His experience of winning World Championships in Formula One will be crucial as we seek to put Honda back into Championship contention and I am delighted that we will be working together to achieve that.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

And in other news...

Ferrari today confirmed that Jean Todt will be replaced as Sporting Director by Stefano Domenicali as of January 1 2008. Mario Almondo will move up to take Domenicali's position of Operations Director, with Aldo Costa in turn moving up to Technical Director.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

egads

so who will be in a good position to take it in 08?
    kimi again? or will hams just walk away?

well certainly not Honda....lol

They must be throwing money at Ross...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    They must be throwing money at Ross...
    You echo my thoughts exactly.

It'd be interesting to see how much Ferrari offered him (I assume they offered him cash) in comparison to how much he'll be getting at Honda.

This certainly proves that Honda is very serious about winning in F1 and are not there just to advertise - they are there to be the champions.

Honda wont be looking good again until....2009 at the earliest. Next year will be much the same as this year; radically new car, new staff. Only difference being they think having other teams aero guys and being led by Ross Brawn will bring them forward, rather than sliding back under the leadership of a motorcycle engineer. Brawn should make a difference though, the past few years when in fighting positions, strategy has been one area Honda have been lacking. The only time they really were on the ball with strategy was Hungary '06 with those short fuel stops when expecting to come in soon for dry tyres. It was always someone else at Ferrari, like Rory Byrne, who was chief designer though so i wouldnt expect massive improvements simply by Brawn from the factory.
    I am the Stig

and what about Jean Todt? What will the best manager in motor racing be doing next year?
    orangeferrari.blog.com

Honda will finally stop sucking!
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ant View Post
    and what about Jean Todt? What will the best manager in motor racing be doing next year?
    Probably concentrating on his role with Ferrari road cars.
    I am the Stig

Jean Todt is the CEO of Ferrari S.P.A., so he won't be lacking jobs to do....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Honda will finally stop sucking!
    the BAR team? Toyota needs more help, imo.

The Official USAC Racing Website - TOYOTA TO DEBUT 360 SILVER CROWN/SPRINTCAR ENGINE AT 67th ANNUAL TURKEY NIGHT GRAND PRIX
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Thread Information