Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of the Job

Out of the Job

I felt this was worth posting,

So I get a call today from a coworker(and friend) that I need to start looking for a new job. A little confused, I asked why. He said that the business I work for is shutting down tomorrow. He being a manager was told that day. The difference being that management weren't going to tell the regular employees until tomorrow. Now if this doesn't make sense, it basically means, even though the company had known about 3 or 4 months prior to closing, that this was extremely likely to happen given the situation(because of their lack of business resulting in lack of pay to companies such as Pepsi, Tyson, and other large corporations), they weren't going to tell us until the day the sign came down that we would have to find new jobs.

The business I'm talking about is Kentucky Fried Chicken. This and 2 other stores in the district don't make enough money to support the providers of their drinks, bread, chicken etcetera.

The reason for informing others, is that they expect US to give THEM a two week notice prior to quitting even though they can shut down without any warning what-so-ever. This is also something out of our control... this isn't something we can say, "improve" or "fix". This is final, but the corporation is so worried about losing a few employees prior to closing, they would put others out of a job(which may be their supporting life-line at the time) for however long it takes them to find a new job that will suit their needs.

This is so unethical(i think thats the word) and immoral. It just pisses me off that even the managers aren't informed until a couple days prior. That maybe they could help those few unfortunate people that seriously need the job prepare for the worst.

I'm sure this sort of thing happens everyday but you really look at it different when it happens to you.

Well... That's life...

Things happen for a reason...

I hope you find a new one sooner or later...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    I felt this was worth posting,

So I get a call today from a coworker(and friend) that I need to start looking for a new job. A little confused, I asked why. He said that the business I work for is shutting down tomorrow. He being a manager was told that day. The difference being that management weren't going to tell the regular employees until tomorrow. Now if this doesn't make sense, it basically means, even though the company had known about 3 or 4 months prior to closing, that this was extremely likely to happen given the situation(because of their lack of business resulting in lack of pay to companies such as Pepsi, Tyson, and other large corporations), they weren't going to tell us until the day the sign came down that we would have to find new jobs.

The business I'm talking about is Kentucky Fried Chicken. This and 2 other stores in the district don't make enough money to support the providers of their drinks, bread, chicken etcetera.

The reason for informing others, is that they expect US to give THEM a two week notice prior to quitting even though they can shut down without any warning what-so-ever. This is also something out of our control... this isn't something we can say, "improve" or "fix". This is final, but the corporation is so worried about losing a few employees prior to closing, they would put others out of a job(which may be their supporting life-line at the time) for however long it takes them to find a new job that will suit their needs.

This is so unethical(i think thats the word) and immoral. It just pisses me off that even the managers aren't informed until a couple days prior. That maybe they could help those few unfortunate people that seriously need the job prepare for the worst.

I'm sure this sort of thing happens everyday but you really look at it different when it happens to you.
    That sucks to hear man, but in this kind of world I'm not too surprised. When you think about it, at least at a young age, we're just pawns in a corporate ladder of Kings and Queens. What surprised me is that the managers didn't even know. Good luck in finding a new job, hopefully you won't be crippled financially. Best way I guess you could look at it is that it may be a cloud in a silver lining, in pursuit of a better, more fulfilling job.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    That sucks to hear man, but in this kind of world I'm not too surprised. When you think about it, at least at a young age, we're just pawns in a corporate ladder of Kings and Queens. What surprised me is that the managers didn't even know. Good luck in finding a new job, hopefully you won't be crippled financially. Best way I guess you could look at it is that it may be a cloud in a silver lining, in pursuit of a better, more fulfilling job.
    well, the thing is, it won't really hurt me in any way. I am only 17, still supported by my parents. It's my coworkers I'm worried about. They are in a heck of a lot worse situation than me.

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post

This is so unethical(i think thats the word) and immoral.
    this is called capitalism without a human face. It seems the American dream is fine for everybody, unless somebody gets the rude awakening call. I don't want to start a US vs Europe debate on the basis of your misery, but at least labour protection is much better here. The flipside of the coin is that finding a job here is more difficult, because it is not so easy to dump people if things don't work out. So while your protection may be less, finding a new job could be easier in relative terms. I wish you good luck in this respect.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

that sucks man.
    As Rocke said, it's not a real surprise, but still they played unfairly.

A friend of my father was a manager at a local factory, a sort of industrial scrap yard as far as I know. He worked there since he was just a guy, about 25 years or even more.
    Then, a couple of years ago, the boss said they were running out of money, and a week or so after the factory, the business, and most of all the paycheck were gone.
    it wasn't due to the economical situation or something, but just that the boss were purposedly running the company to the bankruptcy, in order to avoid some debts and manage to obtain some help from the local goverment with some not very clear maneuvers.

the point his this friend is about 50, and he needed a whole year to find a new job.
    you're right, being just 17 and living with the parents can help in such situation.
    I mean, you are financially backed, and without all the costs you have to sustain once you have your own family.
    Still it sucks, and I hope you the best for the future.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'm in the same boat.

My position was made redundant christmas eve.

Atleast from the sounds of things working at KFC you should be able to find another position fairly easily.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I'm sorry about you losing your job. I hope finding new work doesn't take long & isn't too much of a struggle.

Take this as an opportunity to try and find something better to earn money off than greasy chicken
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

This is the common procedure for retail operations when closing stores. I had to do it once when I was a district manager in retail. The company has to maintain control right up to the moment the doors are closed...so they feel that the only way to do it without customers facing bad morale and employees pilfering and abandoning the store is to do it basically in one motion.

It sucks...no doubt about it. I only worked in retail about four years for two different companies and as a district manager the whole time....and I'm so glad to have been out of retail for many years now.

Sorry to hear about it. You're however young and you can take this as lesson learned. Remember, no corporation in America will stand up for you if it makes more fiscal sense for them not to do so. So why would you?
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

Sorry to hear about it, both of you. Hope youŽll find a new job soon
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Similar thing happened to me a couple years ago, but we found out a few days early. Seems nice, but the people working there pretty much checked out as soon as they heard making it impossible for those of us still trying to do anything. Plus a lot of things started disapearing, not just the company's property, but other employees' stuff, too.

So what they did sucks, but at least they did have a reason (if that helps.) Still, you have my sympathies and good luck finding something else.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Similar thing happened to me a couple years ago, but we found out a few days early. Seems nice, but the people working there pretty much checked out as soon as they heard making it impossible for those of us still trying to do anything. Plus a lot of things started disapearing, not just the company's property, but other employees' stuff, too.

So what they did sucks, but at least they did have a reason (if that helps.) Still, you have my sympathies and good luck finding something else.
    Yeah, I don't know what makes people turn into animals and thieves but somewhere along the way retail chains have learned this is what happens therefor store employees are usually the last to know their jobs have ended.

The companies do what's best to protect their interest in these situations.

sorry about the loss of your job. its just a sign of the times i guess. everyone is losing jobs all across the country at all levels. my father-in-law, who was a senior executive at a company you have all heard of that he had worked for since graduating college, lost his job a few months ago. he still hasnt found a job, and only had a handful of interviews. its good to be at the start of your career instead of at the end.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Just about every retailer will be reducing their 'footprint' in the next several months...expect to be way in the thousands as far as reduction in store locations.

If you are in retail....well...need I say more...

Thread Information