Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caterham (whats your take?)

Caterham (whats your take?)

Whats everyone here's take on the caterham (sp?) line?

I've been aware of them in the past but always thought they were really just sort of a kit car for someone who is a big more serious about weekend racing than the elise allows.

I just watched the top gear when they check out the caterham (and later on cars made in the USSR) and it was a pretty impressive car. i still think its ugly and completely impractical for those of us who can only afford one car. But i was highly impressed that it beat the bugatti veyron around the track. I think that track is probably heavily biased towards a small go cart like car than the veyron but its still pretty sweet that it was towards the top of their list.

Whats your take on the caterham?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I was once given a ride in an MK Indy (another Seven replica) with a Yamaha R1 engine. I had never experienced such an amazing turn of speed and I doubt I'll ever experience it ever again.

Having said that, and while I can definitely see the appeal, I doubt I'd ever buy one, since they are far too uncomfortable and unpractical. Even if you have several cars this would still be far too compromised for me.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

full of want. i have lusted after one for ages, and i still want one. and probably will until i have one.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

^ +1. The 7 is a stone blast (have a friend with one powered by Toyota AE86), but my favorite is the 11.
    Remember though, in these cars you're sitting about bumper-high to anything else on the road.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

A Caterham is a car I would make sacrifices to get my hands on. I'd also like to do a Henry Catchpole (of EVO) and try to run one every day for a whole year up here in Norway.

i'd probably figure out a way to use one daily.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Awesome little cars! They appeal to my hot rod side...Caterhams and hot rods have a lot in common.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I absolutely love them. I can see how they wouldn't be the best choice if you've only got one car, but if I get to a point where I can own two cars, that would be at the top of the list. I'd make sure to commute at least once a week in it, too.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

It's exactly why I am building a Luego Velocity (slowly).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I'd make sure to commute at least once a week in it, too.
    only once a week?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    only once a week?
    Hey, it gets below 0 F (-18 C) where I like to call home. That's a little nippy at speed with a tiny windshield. Bet a Caterham would be fun on ice, though.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

A mate has one, his is track car only 650kg-430rwkw....smashes most things in a straight line
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    A mate has one, his is track car only 650kg-430rwkw....smashes most things in a straight line
    Any idea how much downforce he's getting out of those wings?
    Big cities suck

I want want want one.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    I just watched the top gear when they check out the caterham (and later on cars made in the USSR) and it was a pretty impressive car. i still think its ugly and completely impractical for those of us who can only afford one car. But i was highly impressed that it beat the bugatti veyron around the track. I think that track is probably heavily biased towards a small go cart like car than the veyron but its still pretty sweet that it was towards the top of their list.
    The Top Gear track is biased more towards power than handling, hence them calling it the Power Lap Board. It's just that the Caterham they had has an insane power/weight ratio.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I wouldn't mind a Bus engined one. Lotsa revs, sequential box. It'd be the shizzle. I'd use it everyday as well.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information