Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fall of the Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    My local dealer has the Civic on the lot starting from £12K ... yeah WE KNOW that UK car prices are crazily high
    Actually time ago we managed to establish (unscientifically) that in real terms our cars weren't that expensive. Canada was worse.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't really have brand allegiance.

I like certain specific cars.

Will you become more like that now NSX?
    I think I'll still like Honda for what it is- my father is a Honda mechanic, and he practically raised me from money earned from fixing Hondas. It'll still be a special marque to me, but basically just the old ones. Barely any new Hondas interest me anymore.

I've always like specific cars from specific marques. I don't like all GM cars, but I do like the Pontiac G8. And I hate Chrysler, but I always liked the Dodge Viper even more than the Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What does appeal to you?

Which has nothing to do with the Civic in pretty much anywhere else in the world...
    From the US market, only the TSX Wagon.

From the JDM market, the Honda Stream. My family wants a hatchback or a wagon type vehicle but not a van or any sort of SUV. So no Pilots or CR-Vs. The Honda Fit is nice I guess, but a bit smaller than what we need. We had to buy a Subaru Forester. Great car, but not my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    And yet that is a 2008 Civic.....something they don't make anymore...

I am with NSX though, the current Honda is not appealing at all to an enthusiast. And that includes Acura in US. The Acura is currently plagued with awkwardly styled cars that replaced their more appealing counterpart. Aside from the SI and maybe the CR-Z, there are no other "performance" model. And even with those they are not as appealing as they could've been. CR-Z I think is an interesting car, they could make it a real hybrid performance car at an affordable level....but as it is, its really not enough(light or powerful) to be really appealing as an alternative to someone who is looking for a hot hatch....

I think Honda knows this, the recent rumor is that they are re-evaluating the HSV as a road car, and perhaps revive the Type R cars. They still need some cars are street level though....As I've said, unlike the media friendly Toyota with their hybrids, Honda's hybrid are not as good as hybrids....and certainly not appealing....
    From what I heard, I've heard crazy rumors such as flip the Accord chassis backwards and then you get a mid engined sports car.

I've lost my patience with Honda. I'm being cautiously optimistic, but I'm not expecting anything nice from them anytime soon.

The CR-Z isn't practical enough to be used as a family car. The Crosstour is a joke. Too large, awkward and styled like a bloated turd.

And Matra, although the European Civic Type R wasn't the best, I'll still take one of those over a Crosstour.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    From the US market, only the TSX Wagon.

From the JDM market, the Honda Stream. My family wants a hatchback or a wagon type vehicle but not a van or any sort of SUV. So no Pilots or CR-Vs. The Honda Fit is nice I guess, but a bit smaller than what we need. We had to buy a Subaru Forester. Great car, but not my first choice.
    I meant in general, not just Honda. If you had to have a normal car what would it be?
    Visca Catalunya!

I meant in general, not just Honda. If you had to have a normal car what would it be?
    Normal new car or old car?

Probably a previous generation Accord V6 sedan with the 6 speed manual.

If I were to splurge, a new or old 4 door Impreza STi or a previous generation Forester STi.

Not too many new cars interest me.

Normal new car or old car?
    New.
    If I were to splurge, a new or old 4 door Impreza STi or a previous generation Forester STi.
    That's not normal, now is it?

Maybe I should have specified normal, is in cheap(ish) practial transport.
    Visca Catalunya!

New.

That's not normal, now is it?

Maybe I should have specified normal, is in cheap(ish) practial transport.
    In that case then a Honda Fit or a Ford Fiesta, maybe a Focus.

Although I haven't really looked into the Ford offerings.

Most definitely not a Mini Cooper or a Fiat 500, they're too small and I need 4 doors.

On a side note about Honda- I didn't know that the heaviest Honda Crosstour is a full 400 lbs heavier than the heaviest V6 Accord.

In that case it's a definite fail then because it's not that much of a larger car than the Accord.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.

It's weird that we feel whether the car is good for us or not by just going in and even without driving it.
    Last edited by hardworker17; 09-06-2011 at 02:52 AM.

i think hyundai now is the new honda. there are some news out there that says that honda is slowing down is terms of revenue this year and they expect worst in 2012. sad but true ive seen lots of hyundai on the road.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I'm not so sure why they're making a big fuss either. It's roomy inside and is still one of the more dependable and miserly choices out there. Smooth, reasonably perky standard motor and a decent transmission can't count against it either. Having said that, they tend to be a smidge overpriced and I think their styling is funky this generation.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by rreginald View Post
    i think hyundai now is the new honda. there are some news out there that says that honda is slowing down is terms of revenue this year and they expect worst in 2012. sad but true ive seen lots of hyundai on the road.
    A lot of that was due to major supply problems coming out of Japan after the quake. 2012 should stabilize that provided customers come back (and I bet they will)
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

The Fall... and Rise of the Honda Civic?

Back in 2012, it looked pretty bleak, but frankly speaking, the Civic has come back pretty strong. With hatchback, sedan, Si and for the first time in North America, Type R variants, I can't think of a time when there was so much variety in the Civic lineup. Sure, they're mostly turbocharged now, but still largely available in manual transmission options and fun and relatively cheap to buy.

Honda has never been a big player here, and I would say that they are now trying to establish it as a pseudo premium brand in Europe. Despite the loss of the independent rear suspension in the current generation Civic, Hondas still retain their trademarks in all of their cars, mostly, but still have failed to capture european's imagination, hence never being a particular important player in the market even when compared to other japanese manufacturers.
    I wrote this 8-and-a-half years ago. I think that, mostly, it still stands.

Honda has 0,8% market share in Europe. It sells less than Mistsubishi, never mind Hyundai which outsells Honda almost 4 to 1.
    Visca Catalunya!

I wrote this 8-and-a-half years ago. I think that, mostly, it still stands.

Honda has 0,8% market share in Europe. It sells less than Mistsubishi, never mind Hyundai which outsells Honda almost 4 to 1.
    Didn't know Honda was so insignificant in Europe. It's no wonder Honda decided to close the Swindon plant. I'm a little concerned about that, as the Civic hatchback is made there.

Hyundai is interesting, they are big in the US here. My parents when they went to California actually was able to rent Hyundai, and apparently they're not half bad.

We had a basic i30 Mk1 about 10 years ago. It was a very decent car. We also had a Mk1 Kia Sportage about 25 years ago. The progress was clear.

I am not surprised the Hyundai Group is doing well in Europe.
    Visca Catalunya!

The honda civic is an executive sedan that, as of now, the civic can be had with a 1.8 lt. Petrol engine with a cvt or 1.6 lt. diesel engine with a manual gearbox.

Thread Information