Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luxury sports cars in costly Japan pile-up

Luxury sports cars in costly Japan pile-up

OUCH!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16027006

A luxury sports car outing in Japan has ended in what may be one of the most expensive car crashes in history.
    Eight Ferraris, three Mercedes-Benzes, a Lamborghini and two other vehicles were involved in the pile-up in the southern prefecture of Yamaguchi.
    No-one was seriously hurt, but the road was closed for six hours after the accident.
    Media reports estimate the damaged cars are worth at least 300m yen ($3.85m; £2.46m) in total.
    The drivers were on an outing to the city of Hiroshima
    The sports cars - driven in convoy by a group of automobile enthusiasts - were on their way to Hiroshima, reports Japanese newspaper The Asahi Shimbun.
    Police say they believe the accident, which took place on Sunday, happened when the driver of one of the Ferraris tried to change lanes and hit the crash barrier.
    "A group of cars was doing 140-160km/h (85-100mph)," an unidentified eyewitness told Japanese broadcaster TBS.
    "One of them spun and they all ended up in this great mess."
    Ten people received minor injuries in the crash, police said.
    They said some of the vehicles were beyond repair.
    "I've never seen such a thing," highway patrol lieutenant Eiichiro Kamitani told AFP news agency. "Ferraris rarely travel in such large numbers."
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

"I've never seen such a thing," highway patrol lieutenant Eiichiro Kamitani told AFP news agency. "Ferraris rarely travel in such large numbers."
    I love that qoute!, makes Ferraris sound lile an animal! :b
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

"tried to change lanes and hit the crash barrier".....changing lanes is indeed one of the most tricky things these days on any highway.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I read in another article, "Mitsuyoshi Isejima, executive officer for Yamaguchi Prefecture’s Expressway Traffic Police unit, 'It was a gathering of narcissists.'" Just because people like fast cars doesn't make them "narcissists" you asshole.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I read in another article, "Mitsuyoshi Isejima, executive officer for Yamaguchi Prefecture’s Expressway Traffic Police unit, 'It was a gathering of narcissists.'" Just because people like fast cars doesn't make them "narcissists" you asshole.
    Although there is a tendency of Ferrari drivers to be - in the words of Top Gear - Cocks.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Although there is a tendency of Ferrari drivers to be - in the words of Top Gear - Cocks.
    should they then also be shot in front of their family members?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    should they then also be shot in front of their family members?
    Huh?.

What i meant was that many buy a Ferrari just because it's a Ferrari without understanding what the car is truly capable of.
    They just want to show off, in other words.

I'm not saying this is the case here, or that it's correct to say to the media. Just saying that there is a point to his case. (same reason that cheap old BMW's are incredibly expensive to insurance in Denmark, because they are primarily driven by "cocks")
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

That's just a reference to Herr Clarkson's latest gibberish about the UK worker strike...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Presumably, the driving style that results in such a pileup was not the most "socially-acceptable."
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

JC was making the point about BBC nonsense about balanced reporting and having said something on one side he felt he had to say something equally inane against the strikers !

Typical british tabloid journos ( and their readers ) went up in arms by quoting out of context.

But it met the objective, everyone's talking about Clarkson JUST as he releases a DVD for Christmas
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ouch there's an F40 in there, white car looks to be maybe a Testarossa, what's the black one in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    But it met the objective, everyone's talking about Clarkson JUST as he releases a DVD for Christmas
    no sale here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Huh?.
    it was just a reference to indicate the "reliability" of the statements made in Top Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Ouch there's an F40 in there, white car looks to be maybe a Testarossa, what's the black one in the middle?
    A 360 Modena.
    I don't see a F40!?
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it was just a reference to indicate the "reliability" of the statements made in Top Gear.
    Oh, i was only using Top Gear as inspiration for the term "Cock" nothing more
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Thread Information