Thread: Acura RSX vs. Honda Civic vs. Mitsubishi Eclipse vs. Toyota Celica

Acura RSX vs. Honda Civic vs. Mitsubishi Eclipse vs. Toyota Celica

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and would like the most bang for my buck. These four cars have all appealed to me but I can't find reliable advice on which each excels at. For the most part, I plan on using it simply for commuting, but I'd also like something that has a little kick in it too; something fun to drive. Any and all comparisons/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by zerocalx
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle and would like the most bang for my buck. These four cars have all appealed to me but I can't find reliable advice on which each excels at. For the most part, I plan on using it simply for commuting, but I'd also like something that has a little kick in it too; something fun to drive. Any and all comparisons/advice would be greatly appreciated!
    The faster car that you can get there is the RSX type S. If I had the chance to choose between those 4 that's the one I would take. The civic shouldn't be on that list, I have a Civic and trust me it is a slow car compared to those (unless you compare a civic 127hp with a eclipse gs 140hp).

The celica has great looks but I consider it too small. I have a friend who has one and putting the seat all the way to the back and the steering wheel up my knees still touching the steering wheel (6 feet tall, so I don't know if that's your case)
    The eclipse GT comes with 200hp and RSX type S with 200hp also but the RSX I believe is faster and a new eclipse is coming soon so I would recomend the RSX.

BUT the RSX is of course the most expensive one.... and the civic the cheapest but if money is not an issue get the RSX that's what I would do.

PS: Unless the civic is type R....... That would be a whole different story
    Last edited by Niko_Fx; 02-23-2004 at 02:54 PM.

depends...

depends on what you personally need the car to do and your budget.
    The Acura RSX would work best but it is slightly more expensive. The Type S is a real nice, tightly put together vehicle with a real smooth tranny and really fun to drive. Good cabin/trunk space. My girlfriends dad owns one and I've driven it quite a bit and I would be very happy with it.

I agree with the above about the Toyota Celica. There is the TRD GT-S model with some more horsepower but it is an extremely cramped cabin. If space is an issure I wouldn't go with either the Toyota or the Mitsubishi.

The Civic is a decent, reliable, get you there and back vehicle but you won't be blazing by anybody on the interstate. Maybe the Honda Civic SI....little larger cabin and trunk space, performance options, a quick, responsive throttle.....but NASA spaceship like looks.

A real, real good place to get reviews for all sorts of cars (economy, exotic, super, SUV's, trucks, WHATEVER..... go to www.thecarconnection.com
    Just my two cents.
    Good luck. Car shopping's always fun, isn't it?

i agree that the rsx is probley the fastest out of that group, unless u plan on getiting a used car, then go with 1999 or older eclipse gsx or talon tsi. there a hell of a lot faster then the rsx. I test drove the celica and the rsx before. the celica is real slow and a civiv is even slower. I think the rsx would be ur best bet for now if you plan on getting a brand spankin new car. the only reason why the rsx is faster then the new ecllipse is cause mitsu. decided to be dumb and put a low powered heavy ass v6 in a newley designed heavy car. boo. get the RSX it'll treat u better then a new eclipse

You know what? I thought about it well and forget those 4 cars and get a Dodge SRT-4 (Neon Turbo) 230hp 250lb-ft It is cheaper than the eclipse gt, the rsx type s and the celica gts and faster than all of them. Looks nice, comes with spoiler, rims, intercooler etc.....

Or do as mooseTSI says, get an eclipse gsx or gst (unless you are the kind of person who doesn't believe in getting a manual used car because you don't know who drove it before, maybe some ricer or some girl who messed up the gearbox)

Definately go with a civic. There are sooo many good options. Get a 2002+ civic si if your gonna get a type s because its the same motor but in a hatchback. Id go with that because the i-vtec is going to be the motor of the future for honda and more and more companies are making kits for it. Then again if you were gonna swap get a civic and drop in a gsr motor or a b16 or if your not into motor swaps then just get a 99' or 00' civic si wiht the b16a2 which has 170hp so i dunno why that guy said civic's ahve 127 hp cuz thats only like ex's. Id say honda all the way or an integra gsr would be nice. lol but an rsx type-s is nice too just it weighs alot. Good luck though

RICER. yeah, i went there.

Let civics go. Civics are NOT performance vehicles. I-vtec is a nice way of getting more out of a small engine, but in no way is it the greatest thing on earth. This is not a rice forum. Go pimp your oversized spoilers and JDM elsewhere. Civics and integras were designed for economical transportation, and "tuners" have turned them into "sports cars." I have nothing against wanting to make your car faster, but in a comparison looking for the best performing car the civic is NOT the best choice. Ever. Unless it's geo metro vs. Civic

as for the above, I'd say go with a GSX or celica alltrac. I don't know what your price range is, but those are my favorites. Otherwise, the rsx is nice, but costly, and FWD. The 95-98 eclipses are great looking cars, and turboed awd would be nice to have, especially in the winter. As far as economy goes, the civic would probably be at the top of my list. I love mine, but in no way is it high-performance.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by HBloverb18
    Definately go with a civic. There are sooo many good options. Get a 2002+ civic si if your gonna get a type s because its the same motor but in a hatchback. Id go with that because the i-vtec is going to be the motor of the future for honda and more and more companies are making kits for it. Then again if you were gonna swap get a civic and drop in a gsr motor or a b16 or if your not into motor swaps then just get a 99' or 00' civic si wiht the b16a2 which has 170hp so i dunno why that guy said civic's ahve 127 hp cuz thats only like ex's. Id say honda all the way or an integra gsr would be nice. lol but an rsx type-s is nice too just it weighs alot. Good luck though

Please don't refer to me as "that guy" that's why we all have nicks. I said 127hp because that's the EX which is V-TEC also and looks nice. The new civic SI It's a hatchback and he didn't put any hatchback on his list so I'm asuming he doesn't like them.

I insist go with the Neon Turbo. You said that you wanted ""the most bang for my buck"" And there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Please don't refer to me as "that guy" that's why we all have nicks. I said 127hp because that's the EX which is V-TEC also and looks nice. The new civic SI It's a hatchback and he didn't put any hatchback on his list so I'm asuming he doesn't like them.

I insist go with the Neon Turbo. You said that you wanted ""the most bang for my buck"" And there you have it.

good idea! the srt-4 is a awesome car. its a tad bit over 20g's with tax, title and all that bull. u cant go wrong with a car that cheap and that much power and potential. It comes with a pretty decent FMIC and u can by a boost controller and crank the boost. you'll have a damn fast daily driver oh yeah and the 230 hp is supposed to be underated, says all the magizines. so its damn quick

Civic's and Integra's are economical cars? You listed an eclipse, that is suppose to be a sports car is it? They are all in the same category. The SRT-4 is fine if you have 20k and wanan go that route but personally id rather have a mush faster car for under 20k. The neon is also an economical car that was tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by HBloverb18
    Civic's and Integra's are economical cars? You listed an eclipse, that is suppose to be a sports car is it? They are all in the same category. The SRT-4 is fine if you have 20k and wanan go that route but personally id rather have a mush faster car for under 20k. The neon is also an economical car that was tuned.
    The Eclipse is a sports car. That's what they were designed to be. Unlike the Civic or the Integra, they never came as a four-door. Many also came factory turbocharged. If the import tuning/Japanese sports car wave had never come along, then there wouldn't even be a high-performance Honda under the Civic moniker.

Are you missing the whole "civilian" aspect of the civic? Because that's where the name comes from... Look, Civics and Integras are just as successful as the Eclipse, in that they do exactly what they were designed to do quite well. The Civic is a great, reliable people mover. Don't get me wrong, Civics are great.

The SRT-4 is great. It takes the import tuning success to a higher level than any other manufacturer has dared to. Also, it's proved to be very reliable. It's largest downfall as far as I can see is that it's still FWD.

Wouldn't you rather have that than an older car which you've spent $20,000 on? It's got a great warranty (not voided), and will actually keep its value, as opposed to the drop in value you'd see from a tuned Civic, for example. Moreover, its got a stock limited-slip differential. You can't really beat what this car offers for the price.

We have all given ideas, looked info for best cars that have similar discriptions with the ones posted by zerocalx............ but he hasn't answered... But hey, at least we have our own good conversation here. But I do hope he reads it cause everyone has given some good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    We have all given ideas, looked info for best cars that have similar discriptions with the ones posted by zerocalx............ but he hasn't answered... But hey, at least we have our own good conversation here. But I do hope he reads it cause everyone has given some good ideas
    Read my post just above yours A Dodge SRT-4 fits very nicely into that category...

Thread Information