Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UCP Awards 2009

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Would it be possible to collect the following.?
    for the COTY: The nominations (shortlist) for the three main areas? (North America, Europe and Australia; if there is an Asian/Japanese COTY than those as well) That would give 10-15-20 cars to choose from.

For the COTD we could take the ten (nine?) winners from the same regions from 2000 to 2009 onwards.

This will save us an extensive selection procedure, whereby the first results can be expected by April 2011.

We will then most likely end up with a list of sensible cars. For the "fanboys" we may have to add a "supercar" category, of cars not suitable for every day operations.
    I already have a list for COTD of 10 or so candidates.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't think there should be an alternate supercar award. This is for the best car - if the best car happens to be a supercar, so be it.

One thing that has to be recognized is that this car is an enthusiast site, so there is a fair chance that cars of that nature will do well. So what? Evo doesn't give car of the year to a Prius. We, like they, have a bias. Maybe an everyperson car will win - great. I don't think it does justice to the award to have 2 awards. One car should stand out as the UCP car of the year or car of the decade. Giving two will just mean there is compromise.

Would it be possible to collect the following.?
    for the COTY: The nominations (shortlist) for the three main areas? (North America, Europe and Australia; if there is an Asian/Japanese COTY than those as well) That would give 10-15-20 cars to choose from.

For the COTD we could take the ten (nine?) winners from the same regions from 2000 to 2009 onwards.

This will save us an extensive selection procedure, whereby the first results can be expected by April 2011.

We will then most likely end up with a list of sensible cars. For the "fanboys" we may have to add a "supercar" category, of cars not suitable for every day operations.
    Not sure I follow exactly what you're saying. There is only UCP COTY/awards data for 2 or 3 years so the 2000-2009 onwards part confuses me a bit
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't think there should be an alternate supercar award. This is for the best car - if the best car happens to be a supercar, so be it.

One thing that has to be recognized is that this car is an enthusiast site, so there is a fair chance that cars of that nature will do well. So what? Evo doesn't give car of the year to a Prius. We, like they, have a bias. Maybe an everyperson car will win - great. I don't think it does justice to the award to have 2 awards. One car should stand out as the UCP car of the year or car of the decade. Giving two will just mean there is compromise.
    Agreed.

Still I think that we shouldn't only consider performance when nominating/voting. There's other very valid criteria that sadly tends to be overlooked and that it shouldn't.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Not sure I follow exactly what you're saying. There is only UCP COTY/awards data for 2 or 3 years so the 2000-2009 onwards part confuses me a bit
    I was not talking about previous UCP awards, just about historic COTYs in various regions. and current COTY nominations in the same regions, organised by the most esteemed source.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Agreed.

Still I think that we shouldn't only consider performance when nominating/voting. There's other very valid criteria that sadly tends to be overlooked and that it shouldn't.
    If it makes you feel better I'll include a pretty little write-up in the voting threads that will inform posters about the best not necessarily meaning the most expensive, fastest, and coolest looking car. Maybe the forum can come together and make a concise paragraph detailing what the UCP car of the Year is and should be.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I was not talking about previous UCP awards, just about historic COTYs in various regions.
    As in magazines' COTY?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

As in magazines' COTY?
    correct
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If it makes you feel better I'll include a pretty little write-up in the voting threads that will inform posters about the best not necessarily meaning the most expensive, fastest, and coolest looking car. Maybe the forum can come together and make a concise paragraph detailing what the UCP car of the Year is and should be.
    I'm not against it, but I'd say that it shouldn't be necessary. I think we (or most of us,... ) are mature enough to know what determines a good car.
    Visca Catalunya!

Car of the Decade and Car of the Year I think should be left undefined. What people think that means is part of the award - some people value different things more.

Autosport asked for "the greatest" driver from a poll of 200+ living F1 drivers and they didn't specify what "the greatest" meant.

Ayrton Senna won that poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Autosport asked for "the greatest" driver from a poll of 200+ living F1 drivers and they didn't specify what "the greatest" meant.

Ayrton Senna won that poll.
    a thin edge between life and death.....

I think we are overdue a first round vote.

I was looking at the award forums; UCP had many awards in 2008 and 2009 and some in 2010 like best car of the year, thread of the year and member of the year. UCP is a bit quite at the moment, i think it's because lately no new cars have come out or people are doing other thing. It would be nice if we had another UCP award thread.
    Can we? Please.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Of course why not. Call them the UCP mid-2011 car of the semester award of the year, Award.

Or something.

I vote for the Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDi.

\end sub-forum.

Probably.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    I was looking at the award forums; UCP had many awards in 2008 and 2009 and some in 2010 like best car of the year, thread of the year and member of the year. UCP is a bit quite at the moment, i think it's because lately no new cars have come out or people are doing other thing. It would be nice if we had another UCP award thread.
    Can we? Please.
    I suppose there could be an awards refresh. Can't remember if they were done last year.. they might have been limited to COTY or something.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information