Thread: Ford Fairmont Futura

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA

Ford Fairmont Futura

Introduced in 1978, the compact Ford Fairmont was a replacement for the outdated, weightier Maverick, and proved an instant success. The Fairmont set a record for first-year production of a new model, exceeding the prior record achieved by the '65 Ford Mustang. Available as as a two- or four-door sedan or a wagon, the rear wheel drive Fairmont and its Mercury Zephyr twin came standard with a four-cylinder, but an inline six or even a 302 cubic inch V-8 could be had. Advertisements highlighted its roomy interior, its low price (the cheapest two-door sedan was $3589, and wagons started at $4063), and its economical fuel mileage (33 mpg highway, 23 mpg city with the four-cylinder).

Later in '78, a fourth body style debuted: the Ford Fairmont Futura. Available only as a coupe, the Futura featured a unique front end, wraparound taillights, and a Thunderbird-like wrapover B-pillar. As Ford celebrated their 75th anniversary in 1978, a '79 Fairmont Futura became the 100,000,000th Ford produced in America.

The Fairmont Futura coupe continued relatively unchanged through 1983 (the Fairmont sedan bore the Futura moniker in 1983 as well; the wagon had been replaced by a Granada wagon in '82, and the two-door sedan was dropped after '82), and the remainder of the Fairmont / Zephyr ranges was replaced by the Ford Tempo / Mercury Topaz for 1984.

The Fairmont was the first car built on Ford's new Fox Platform, which also underpinned the 1980-88 Thunderbird and the 1979-2004 Ford Mustang among others.

This Fairmont Futura called out to me from a parking lot just off Alderman Road. I must admit I had no idea what it was at first. Though the color choice is questionable, it appears to be all original, and is in amazing shape for a 25 year old Ford.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Timothy (in VA); 02-21-2007 at 07:25 PM.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Ford Fairmont Futura #2
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Sort of vanilla, but not bad.

That car can be a serious sleeper. It's built on the Fox platform, which underpinned mustangs of that era. Very light car, approx. 2800 or so. Lots of mustang bolt parts widely available for that car. Not everyones cup of tea as far as looks go, but they do have their fans. Just google the Ford Fairmont and you can find some great info and some wicked customized cars.

I'm currently looking for one similar to use as a daily driver and tinker with. Congrats! Nice find!

Its not a pretty car at all is it?

There were some very poor looking cars in the late 70's
    UP THE BORO!!!!

They do make for some interesting customs... have even seen one done Pro-Stock style... here's one that turns mid-10s. Beware fuzzy dice in old lady car.
    Last edited by csl177; 11-17-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Thread Information