Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive Perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Unfortunately since diesel is cheaper so is to run a diesel car regardless of everything...
    that's even more correct. especially older diesel, like the first gen common rails, those were capable of mileages pretty low even with a quite inspired drive, while modern ones tend to enlarge the difference between when mommy is driving instead of, say, me.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

whatever you all say about emotion, I had a big grin on my face when accelerating from 100 kph (1800 rpm in sixth) and then feeling the second turbo come in at around 140 (2700 rpm) for another push in the back. (may be I was not thinking...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    whatever you all say about emotion, I had a big grin on my face when accelerating from 100 kph (1800 rpm in sixth) and then feeling the second turbo come in at around 140 (2700 rpm) for another push in the back. (may be I was not thinking...)
    I have a big grin everytime I redline the V8 in the Jag or the supercharged four in the Mini.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

We have come back to the eternal argument settler "diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt folks."

I just think that there's a statistical argument that shows that most people for fun prefer driving gasoline cars.

I have a big grin everytime I redline the V8 in the Jag.
    And how about the Bimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    And how about the Bimmer?
    No grin or smile whatsoever. Even if it could sit at 200km/h all day with ease.

It's very efficient and frugal but it just isn't exciting. You don't drop a couple of gears and floor it just for fun. That's a big part I miss and it makes it almost boring. Almost.
    Visca Catalunya!

You really should go and test drive a gasoline (I suppose we should probably say Otto) 1-series so you can report to us your findings.

You really should go and test drive a gasoline (I suppose we should probably say Otto) 1-series so you can report to us your findings.
    I have driven other BMWs with petrol engines and they are excellent. Especially the sixes. Fast, smooth and with a good sound. I do really think that a BMW is best had with a petrol engine, it complements the excellent driving with an enjoyable engine. Especially one of their sixes.
    Visca Catalunya!

On a similar note; Pieter, have you driven any gas C5s or any other contemporary gas Citroens?
    Thoughts on them?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I have driven other BMWs with petrol engines and they are excellent. Especially the sixes. Fast, smooth and with a good sound. I do really think that a BMW is best had with a petrol engine, it complements the excellent driving with an enjoyable engine. Especially one of their sixes.
    I didn't think highly of the M52TUB25 in the 323Ci I drove but I was also focusing on many other things (shifting) so I will need more time in this car to better evaluate this power plant.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    On a similar note; Pieter, have you driven any gas C5s or any other contemporary gas Citroens?
    Thoughts on them?
    Good question.

i dunno, for a commuter car i have no issues with using a diesel, the torque is nice to have. i suppose if i had to have only one car though, i'd be looking at it differently (i.e. how much i could 'put up with' on a daily car, in order for some excitement at other times)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i dunno, for a commuter car i have no issues with using a diesel, the torque is nice to have. i suppose if i had to have only one car though, i'd be looking at it differently (i.e. how much i could 'put up with' on a daily car, in order for some excitement at other times)
    I don't commute, and I have only one car.....and I don't get excited when nearing the read line in a petrol car. It is just a lot of noise and no better performance. (Coming to think of it, a low end torquey diesel fits much more to the lazy American driving style, and at the same time you can floor it, if you want to go fast, and you hardly need an autobox to achieve that)

Kitdy: Statistics and lies. May be for the forum population you may have point, but how many here have driven a 200 plus BHP diesel car? (and please don't mention a truck or tractor)
    Last edited by henk4; 03-07-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

but how many here have driven a 200 plus BHP diesel car? (and please don't mention a truck or tractor)
    admittedly i haven't driven many at all, i mean an audi fits into the latter categories, yes?
    i see plenty of diesel golfs, BMW's, etc around but haven't ever driven many of them at all.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I don't commute, and I have only one car.....and I don't get excited when nearing the read line in a petrol car. It is just a lot of noise and no better performance. (Coming to think of it, a low end torquey diesel fits much more to the lazy American driving style, and at the same time you can floor it, if you want to go fast, and you hardly need an autobox to achieve that)
    I don't think they necessarily have better performance. 120km/h to 160km/h in sixth I'd say the Mini is faster than the 118d. (But then it should because it's lighter, more powerful and with shorter gearing).

I can also see the point of the diesel as commuter, especially if you drive a lot. But again as the only car, and when you are on your favourite road... then something is missing.

By the way the most powerful diesel I've driven was a 180bhp A6 2.5 TDI Quattro.
    Visca Catalunya!

I didn't think highly of the M52TUB25 in the 323Ci I drove but I was also focusing on many other things (shifting) so I will need more time in this car to better evaluate this power plant.
    I thought that the 272bhp engine in the 330i was very good, the 306bhp turbocharged unit in the 335i amazing and the M-fettled 3.2 litre in the Z4M epic.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information