Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the fastest speed you driven at, and in what car?

Good man, once you realise how fast you can ACTUALLY go on track then roads are going to be tame and not worth pushign to be fast on also you'll hopefully realise the consequences of going too fast.
    ( It's not a proper track tuition day if someone doesnt' come off )
    I'd always recommend to pick one of the KH options which gets you a few laps in the single seaters -- they only let you out if you've shown sufficient skill and control in the other cars. Nothing beats the single seaters ...... just don't let them black flag you for "going too fast"
    The Cupra ones are "better" for letting you get to know the track and lines better and to work on "tuning in" your driving style. Good if you plan to do some trackdays.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

202 km/h - Ford BA Fairmont 4.0L
    200 km/h - Holden Calibra 2.0L
    190 km/h - Holden VL Commodore Turbo
    180 km/h - Twin Turbo Soarer
    180 km/h - 1998 Saab 9-5 SE

Recently explored the darker side of 130mph (indicated) in my '67 S and scared the crap out of myself.

Probably a genuine 120. These cars are twitchy anyway (particularly on stock 4.5" wide rims), but a gust of wind...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I took the Mini to 225km/h on a late night in the motorway, recently also. Not really suited to this sort of speed, and I could actually see the needle from the fuel gauge going physically down...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Saw an indicated 138 mph in a Dino 246 on an empty M3 some 30-odd years ago. I was more twitchy than the car, and thought the whole experience orgasmic. My passenger, the owner of the car, was urging me to go faster. Wouldn't do it now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I took the Mini to 225km/h on a late night in the motorway, recently also. Not really suited to this sort of speed, and I could actually see the needle from the fuel gauge going physically down...
    i got to 130 (210km) in the mini, and that was about as fast as i wanted to go in it. it took forever to get up to those speeds too, something about school bus aerodynamics.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i got to 130 (210km) in the mini, and that was about as fast as i wanted to go in it. it took forever to get up to those speeds too, something about school bus aerodynamics.
    That's what I had done too, but some weeks ago I decided to insist and eventually it got 140mph. It did take quite a lot of time though.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's what I had done too, but some weeks ago I decided to insist and eventually it got 140mph. It did take quite a lot of time though.
    i thought the '04s topped out at 135... or does yours have any go-faster goodies like a pulley? i know my former boss had a Works with a 17% pulley and a bunch of other stuff, and his would do well over 140.

Mine was the post facelift model with 10 or so more horsepower. I think that the official top speed was 138mph. Mind you I saw the 140mph on the speedo so I could easily be doing 135-137mph in reality.
    Visca Catalunya!

ahh, i thought your was also an 04. the extra 7 hp (170 vs 163) did make a difference. my mother in law had an 05 S Cabriolet for a few years. it made a lot better sounds too thanks to the revised intake and exhaust.

By the time you get it to 140 in all likelihood it's only pushing 125-130.
    Makers have a reputation of letting it get as much as 8% "high".
    Makers are NOT permitted to have a speedo UNDER-read the speed and are given up to 10% + 4 or 6 km/h. So none are going to run the risk of gettig caught so pitch it in the middle somewhere
    Best to measure distance and time once you get up there as there's no guarantee that it's linear either
    OR a fast-update, 6+ satellite GPS configuration.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Makers are NOT permitted to have a speedo UNDER-read the speed and are given up to 10% + 4 or 6 km/h. So none are going to run the risk of gettig caught so pitch it in the middle somewhere
    Best to measure distance and time once you get up there as there's no guarantee that it's linear either
    Which is much stricter in europe. When Car and Driver came up with a list of who's speedos were off by how much (slow month I guess) the top 3 most accurate were 1. GM 2. Chrysler 3. Ford, with all the euro companies coming in last after the asians. In fact GM were dead on and Chrysler and Ford not far off.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    The speedo on my F40 reads about 8-10% low depending on the speed. At 200 kph on the speedo the GPS is reading 220 kph.

I used to buy a magazine which measured the difference between the actual speed and the speedos', at many steps like 50 km/h, 70 km/h etc etc.
    By the time you get at 130 km/h (top speed allowed in Italy), cars were mainly doing about 125 km/h with some of them closer to 120 km/h.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

In Precios de coches, pruebas de automoviles, informacion del motor, sometimes they do this sort of tests. Some cars have a lot of error always doing less than indicated as it is the law, and some don't have much of an error. One of the last I read about was the new C3, which was quite accurate. IIRC only 3 or 4km/h at 160km/h.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information